Was Lambert raped by the Alien?

Started by Ellen Ripley, Nov 02, 2007, 07:42:37 PM

Author
Was Lambert raped by the Alien? (Read 223,684 times)

Xhan

Xhan

Also too small.

Looks more like the lip of the flashlight.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: RobThom on Apr 07, 2014, 02:12:06 AM

Although it was definitely mounted at the crotch as a suit, I always figured "in world" that it was just the tail curled up in a funny way. Like the way dogs can contort themselves when they curl up to sleep. Plus the Alien was "striking a pose".

I suppose we are still to look for Ridley's ultimate definition of the thing, but it looks as if he perceived it as a tentacle and I am viewing that perhaps  the body of the alien had having no more solidity than an octopus or squid, and then he possibly perceived the tail as a tentacle in general

Quote from: Xhan on Apr 06, 2014, 10:58:31 PM
Yeah, he was 

Put it this way, the "Umbilical" is a nick name for the muscular structure that the alien seems to have as its tail from Ridley and he wanted it to look like an umbilical cord in the way it was to be seen.

I don't think this Foss drawing would have helped them understand what he wanted when he was filming because it doesn't really look  like an umbilical cord. That ship is usually compared to a train.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Apr 07, 2014, 05:06:18 AM
Parker grabs a hook from the ceiling just before attacking the Alien.

Maybe the Alien, in turn, decided to use it on Lambert.

haha that would be painful. Ouch!

Chup@Cabra

Chup@Cabra

Quote from: Fiorina 161 on Nov 04, 2007, 07:19:44 PM
Another question then... What did the alien actually rape Lambert with?

Okay, I know this is an old thread (the things you come across when you google "Alien" and forget to turn on the 'safety' filters  :D).

For my 2 cents: I don't think it was actually 'rape', in the sense that the Alien has sex with Lambert (the only thing shaped like a penis on it was its head, after all   ;D

As gruesome as it is to think about it, I think it 'simply' used its barbed tail to kill her, and that may or may not have been by way of entering her 'private parts' (this could account for the missing pants, as they were torn away in the process).

I first saw this movie when I was 15, and got to admit I'm surprised I didn't develop some kind of complex with Fear and Sex (all the pseudo Penises [Penii?] and Vagina imagery, along with the first 'nude' woman I ever saw on the big screen [Ripley stripping down to those teeny, tiny panties  :o])

MH-875

MH-875

In my opinion, no.  I'll ignore (other than to indicate what I'm ignoring... and thereby not really ignore it at all) the fact that the legs we see the tail go between are Harry Dean Stanton's and that the clip was part of an alternate version of his death scene.

Every time I see it I have trouble deciding where the tip of the tail ends up but I tend to side with "her back".  After this, the way the scene plays out in my mind:

After the cut, at the moment the tip of the tail touches Lambert, wherever that is, her flight response finally kicks in and she tries to bolt.  The first thing that happens is that she trips over the alien's tail and begins to scramble backwards away from it.  The alien grabs for her but is leisurely enough (it seems to be fascinated when its prey are crazed with terror) about it that it only manages to catch hold of her legs, rather, her pants.  Those come off violently enough that they take her boots with them.

Lambert gets a few more feet away, babbling/gasping incoherently the whole while, before the alien decides it has had a enough and goes in for the kill with a bite, provoking her final shriek.

That or something for which there's nothing on screen to even suggest it but presented here as another mishmash of unused ideas for her death and because it seemed disturbing when I first thought of it moments ago: Lambert does finally try to hide, now that the alien is inches away.  And for some alien reason (see what I did... oh never mind) Kane's Son "helps" her get in the much too small locker.  When she's dead the alien yanks her out, separating her from her pants in the process.

I have nothing for why she was hanging from something because I have no idea what she was hanging from.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

This, again?

Short answer is, we'll probably never know, unless there's a flashback in a future film or something.

The slightly longer answer is that, while there's no deliberate proof, the way it was shot was deliberately suggestive, like it or not. You're meant to get disturbingly sexual undertones from it. Everything, from the way it lingers over her to the purposeful reinsertion (no pun intended) of Brett's feet, all the way through to the woman-in-childbirth style of weird panting noises Lambert gives (and let's not forget the heavily implied nudity after the thing has left) is supposed to make you dwell on these things. The creature is one big walking metaphor for violation and that's probably at its most obvious here.

If you want to go down the route of imagining nothing too disturbing happened, then go for it (although, I suspect Lambert would have done less hyperventilating if it was a simple death). If you want to imagine it was especially gruesome, then there's room to suspect it may even have done whatever it did to Brett/Dallas and was going to come back to collect her possibly unconscious form, which Ripley mistakenly assumes to be dead.

Neither view is wrong. It's completely up to the viewer's own personal interpretation.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Lets just say that the Alien raped everyone on that ship (except MAYBE Jonsey) and call it a day...

MH-875

MH-875

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 10, 2014, 01:52:26 AM
The creature is one big walking metaphor for violation and that's probably at its most obvious here.

Quite so.  I wonder if it was intentional that the most easily unhinged and terrified character received a greater share of that symbolism.  The TC version of Brett's death always made him seem more curious than frightened before he gets the "simple" headbite ("tis but a scratch").  The alternate version has him sounding like he's suffering a heart attack from the stress of it, and his death is more brutal.  He stands and makes these helpless moaning/puffing noises just before his head is apparently partially crushed, which on some level seems worse than having a hole punched into your skull.  And then there's Dallas, who was well into losing it when the alien took him seemingly very much alive.

Most likely all a setup to make you expect Ripley's subsequent panics to result in a horrific (vs. merely unpleasant) end?  Is this a standard horror movie practice and I'm just wasting space here?

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 10, 2014, 01:52:26 AM
If you want to imagine it was especially gruesome, then there's room to suspect it may even have done whatever it did to Brett/Dallas and was going to come back to collect her possibly unconscious form, which Ripley mistakenly assumes to be dead.

Interesting.  Lambert's legs are swinging.  She's hung from the chains (probably--you here them clinking, yes?) but the movement is eerie.  The alien just put her there, she's still alive, or, not so eerie, post-mortem muscle twitching.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I used to think it was along the lines of rape, but now I prefer to think that the Alien just treated Lambert like meat, much the same way a predator in the wild would treat its prey, and her legs dangling after the event is like a carcass in a slaughterhouse.

markweatherill

Has anyone seen 'Galaxy of Terror'?

Gash

Gash

Quote from: markweatherill on Oct 01, 2014, 07:36:39 PM

Hardly anyone.

Jango1201

Jango1201

Alien is love, Alien is life?

markweatherill

Quote from: Gash on Oct 01, 2014, 08:00:47 PM
Quote from: markweatherill on Oct 01, 2014, 07:36:39 PM

Hardly anyone.

but those that have...

Eva

Eva

I'm fairly sure that I heard or read someone say, that Lambert died from fright. Whether that was Ridley, O'Bannon or someone else, I can't remember.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 03, 2014, 01:45:12 AM
Alien is love, Alien is life?

"This is my hive."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed