The Hunts Not Taken, An Interview With Predators Screenwriter Alex Litvak - AvP Galaxy Podcast #114

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 31, 2020, 03:05:53 PM

Author
The Hunts Not Taken, An Interview With Predators Screenwriter Alex Litvak - AvP Galaxy Podcast #114 (Read 14,124 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 114th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Corporal Hicks and RidgeTop are joined by a very special guest who was responsible for bringing Predators into existence – Mr Alex Litvak! Alex was one of the two screenwriters who wrote Predators!

Alex Litvak poses with a Predator statue at long time Predator film producer John Davis’ office!

It’s a very open and honest interview in which Alex walks us through his attempts to revive Predator years before Predators while he was an executive at Fox, how wildly different his and Mike Finch’s very first draft of Predators was, how he was nearly shot while in Austin, how King Leonidas very nearly fought the Predators, where Alex had envisioned a sequel to Predators going, and plenty more!

At one point Alex mentions some short featurettes with the actors talking about their character backstory. These can be found on the home releases of Predators.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you’d rather see our beautiful faces, the video version of the podcast is now available on YouTube!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Kradan

Kradan

The wait is finally over ! ;D

I find story of a Russian guy sneaking to watch American movies so relatable. Almost like a breath of air from motherland

And, Aaron, I want to thank and applaud you personally for not butchering my name !

426Buddy

Thats one low quality predator statue lol :laugh:

Can't wait to listen to this!

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 31, 2020, 08:57:22 PM
Thats one low quality predator statue lol :laugh:

Can't wait to listen to this!

Voodoo is sure offended by its existence

Michael Fassbender starring in Predator movie would've changed the whole trajectory for prequels. Old Ridley would never cast someone related to these filthy Predators spoiling purity of his Alien

Voodoo Magic

Corporal Hicks

Master

Kradan

seattle24

I don't particularly dig Gerard Butler as an actor - but man, he would have been a great lead in Predators. I'd argue as well that 10 years ago when he was nearer the peak of his popularity his name alone with added another $10million worldwide.

Though Litvak's ideas for a sequel frightened me when he discussed linking it with Aliens. :-\ A sequel on the game reserve planet with new drops would have been the way to go.

Kradan

Quote from: seattle24 on Sep 02, 2020, 06:04:01 AM
I don't particularly dig Gerard Butler as an actor - but man, he would have been a great lead in Predators.

QuoteKing Leonidas very nearly fought the Predators

*quick Google search*

Oh, I get this now  :D

Voodoo Magic

Great podcast Hicks & RidgeTop!

And thanks to Alex for doing it. The fans really appreciate it Alex!!

A few thoughts:

I loved listening to Alex's stories in the USSR. It took me back to the world we lived in back then.

It was fun listening to all of Alex's ideas for Predators and its sequel. I wished some of that had been realized, but alas, the budgetary demands would have likely been too high for the property.

I personally enjoyed hearing Hicks call the baddies "Super Predators" and not Beserkers.  ;D  Poor RidgeTop has been always rooting for the subspecies angle too. But Alex called them "upgrades" enough to pound it in my head that they are indeed Super Predators and practice body enhancement like Alex said... "steroids". And I for one am good with that.

Good to hear Alex call the retread criticisms both "unfair" and "fair" a few times. I was expecting it to be entirely dismissed so I was pleasantly surprised.

I feel like there was some unfortunate stepping on "Predator 2" to lift up "Predators". A couple quotes I'll comment on:

"The only movie outside the original that doesn't entirely suck"

As you'll see by these linked polls Alex, fan opinion doesn't quite line up with these thoughts in regards to Predator 2:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=5.0

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=61072.0

QuoteThat's my problem with Predator 2. It doesn't build. It's more of the same.

Predator 2 built on so much in 1990. We understood the creature so much better. We learned more of its technology, it's weaponry, the biomechanical ship. We learned Predators have a code, that they don't kill just because of unarmed = no sport, but how it treats children, the pregnant, even prey that bested their own.  We learned what Predators feed on, that they travel in packs, that they have been hunting here on Earth for centuries and based on that trophy wall, other creatures exist in the universe - they don't only hunt humans! And hello OWLF!!  So I think that statement is perhaps misplaced.  :)

Finally....

Gerald Butler in his prime four years after 300 as Royce??

Adrien Brody as Edwin?

Oh my lord, can I visit an alternate universe where that happened? Wow! It is such better casting in my opinion. Gerald wanted to do it!  Why couldn't Fox just pay him the 5 Million!  Arrrgh! This one is going to eat me up inside!! :'(

Once again, great podcast guys, and thank you Alex for taking time out to do it!

I'm happy Predators is part of our Predator universe!

Billiken

Billiken

Thanks Voodoo i totally agree. I heard those comments and I was pissed 😡. He shouldn't shit on other movies to make his look good. It ain't.

Kradan

I guess, it's his personal opinion and that's it

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed