Started by yhe1, Nov 30, 2018, 01:50:22 AM

Predator 2 vs Predators

Predator 2
41 (87.2%)
Predators
6 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author
Predator 2 vs Predators (Read 8,707 times)

yhe1

yhe1

We all know Predator is first and The Predator is last, but which is second and which is third?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Predator > Predator 2 >>> Predators >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Predator

yhe1

yhe1

damn, nobody thinks Predators is better than Predator 2? wow

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: yhe1 on Nov 30, 2018, 07:24:49 PM

;)

Huggs

Huggs

Predator
Predators
Predator 2
The Predator.

Predator 2 just hasn't aged well for me. Predator is a jungle hunter, I never cared for the city as a backdrop in a predator film. Leave the cities to batman. A bunch of Jamaican gangsters don't have anything on elite soldiers either.

Predators at least tried to stay within the same spirit as the original, but improved upon it vastly with the game preserve idea. And aside from Topher Grace's awful presence, it's only grown better with age. There's no cryo guns, no crawling up buildings like the creature from the black lagoon, nowhere near as much cheesy acting, no bathroom medical scene with granny one-liners and her broom. Not to mention City Hunter was about half a freakin' idiot, getting whupped by a cop and dropping gear left and right while running for home.

All in all, I find Predators to be a much more serious film, pitting much more serious and capable characters against more serious predators. For all its shortcomings, the more I watch it, the better it seems to get. It brought a lot of interesting new ideas that didn't take away from the lore, and I hope we get to return there someday.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 30, 2018, 08:23:50 PM
Predators at least tried to stay within the same spirit as the original

Or just plain copy it!  Take Hanzo the Yakuza.  He stops fleeing with the survivors just like Billy. Turns to face the oncoming Predator just like Billy. Takes off his shirt just like Billy. Un-sheathes his bladed weapon just like Billy. The exact music plays, just like it did with Billy.

J.J. Abrams would be proud!  :P

QuoteThere's no cryo guns, no crawling up buildings like the creature from the black lagoon

What?!  Don't go disrespecting Creature of the Black Lagoon!  Dem, fighting words!

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 30, 2018, 08:41:26 PM
Take Hanzo the Yakuza.  He stops fleeing with the survivors just like Billy. Turns to face the oncoming Predator just like Billy. Takes off his shirt just like Billy. Un-sheathes his bladed weapon just like Billy. The exact music plays, just like it did with Billy.

Maybe Hanzo saw Predator when he was a kid.  ;)

Either way, is there a more manly way to go? It's what I'd hope I would do, if it came to it. And yes, I'd ask him to wait while I cued the music first.

What?!  Don't go disrespecting Creature of the Black Lagoon!  Dem, fighting words!

Hard to disrespect that which I hold dear. But that crawling up the side of the building was such a "guy in a suit" moment.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Predator
Predator 2
The Predator
Predators

Predator 2 is easily my favorite sequel of the bunch. I know I enjoyed The Predator more than Predators but I'm trying to remember why...  :P

Billiken

Billiken

Predator 2. Didn't care for the Predators in predators. Nothing on Stan Winston's designs.  And it just tried to rip too much from the original. The mud scene, the russian with the huge gun, the theme song.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Predator 2

*whispers* Because Predators doesn't have Bill Paxton. Yes, I'm biased that way.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: PredBabe on Dec 01, 2018, 01:22:52 AM
I know I enjoyed The Predator more than Predators but I'm trying to remember why...  :P

Lower expectations? Maybe you if rewatch Predators now after seeing The Predator it will be more enjoyable. I appreciate it more now.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Samhain13 on Dec 01, 2018, 02:38:26 AM
I know I enjoyed The Predator more than Predators but I'm trying to remember why...  :P

Lower expectations? Maybe you if rewatch Predators now after seeing The Predator it will be more enjoyable. I appreciate it more now.

I've watched Predators since viewing The Predator and I can't say it makes me enjoy or appreciate Predators more. They're both pretty disappointing flicks, though it may be fair to say where one movie fails the other excels. I do actually enjoy and care for the characters in The Predator more and really liked the movie up until the untimely death of Fugitive.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: PredBabe on Dec 01, 2018, 03:43:50 AM

I've watched Predators since viewing The Predator and I can't say it makes me enjoy or appreciate Predators more. They're both pretty disappointing flicks, though it may be fair to say where one movie fails the other excels. I do actually enjoy and care for the characters in The Predator more and really liked the movie up until the untimely death of Fugitive.

I wholeheartedly agree, The Predator is way more entertaining, has less dull characters and doesn't try as hard as Predators to pay hommage to the first movie in a stupid way. Though The Predator has plenty of stupid in other departments  ;D

Wysps

Wysps

I enjoy Predators much more than The Predator, but it may because I had already liked Predators to begin with  :laugh:  Didn't need any convincing on my part.  Would have liked Crucificed to have had as much screen time as Fugitive though.  Fugitive seems to be the only saving grace of The Predator, and some of the interactions between the Loonies.  Will say though that The Predator did well in giving us some character development that was actually meaningful (which seemed to be lacking in all of the previous Predator films).  That part where Coyle and Baxley looke at each other before dying  :'( 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 30, 2018, 08:23:50 PM
Predators at least tried to stay within the same spirit as the original

Or just plain copy it!  Take Hanzo the Yakuza.  He stops fleeing with the survivors just like Billy. Turns to face the oncoming Predator just like Billy. Takes off his shirt just like Billy. Un-sheathes his bladed weapon just like Billy. The exact music plays, just like it did with Billy.

J.J. Abrams would be proud!  :P

A few repeated beats/scenes does not a copy make it. There's so much more to Predators than that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed