Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 179,729 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quite.

Pro-creation is still creation too, as is birth.
It's pretty explicit in A3 with the funeral alongside the chestburster. It's just not at the forefront as it is with the prequels.

SM

One guy wanting to explore doesn't make it a theme.  If there's a theme it's the very antithesis of exploration and just wanting to go home.

Nor does juxtaposing a chesburtster with a funeral make it a theme.  It makes it a juxtaposition for one scene.

And where's this artificial intelligence theme in the original flicks?

Magegg

Quote from: SM on Jun 21, 2018, 10:49:19 PM
There's no creation theme in the Alien films either, (although you could make an argument for Resurrection).
There's an impregnation theme.

Wysps

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 21, 2018, 09:56:53 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Jun 21, 2018, 09:24:53 PM
I'm actually bored about this "strong female protagonists"... it's a staple in the Alien and Terminator franchises, but I've found it way too repetitive over the time. I don't know, I would like to have someone completely different in the role.

Parker, Hicks, Dillon. Not to mention may of the side characters. The alien movies may focus primarily on strong female leads, but they've usually been surrounded by some really tough male characters. I don't ever feel that it's too one-sided, or that strong males are ever under-represented. And I'm a dude. I think the problem stems from the fact that nowadays you're just unlikely to get a female lead with the strength and sheer "badassness" of Ripley or the original Sarah Connor.

Do we really need another Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor though?  A lot of Scifi/Horrors go for the Ripley/Connor archtype, which I tend to find unconvincing - they're trying so hard to emulate those characters, instead of possessing the virtues and values that'll propel the story forward on their own.  They end up being devoid of personality. Can't we just have a strong female protagonist, or hell, just a female protagonist with the amount of "character" needed to move the story?  As much as I like Ripley, I do need a break from her.

The Old One

The Old One

Ahem.

Blue Marsalis

Magegg

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 22, 2018, 02:04:32 AMI don't ever feel that it's too one-sided, or that strong males are ever under-represented. And I'm a dude.
I don't care about the gender. I just want another kind of lead hero, or heroine, idk. Elizabeth Shaw was kind of a refreshing change, but she maybe ended up wrapped in the same clichés as her predecessors. And Daniels was a complete retrogression, really generic.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 22, 2018, 02:14:19 AM
Ahem.

Blue Marsalis

I must admit...I have not read Alien: The Cold Forge :-X This obviously needs to be rectified.

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 22, 2018, 02:17:28 AM
Quote from: Wysps on Jun 22, 2018, 02:04:32 AMI don't ever feel that it's too one-sided, or that strong males are ever under-represented. And I'm a dude.
I don't care about the gender. I just want another kind of lead hero, or heroine, idk. Elizabeth Shaw was kind of a refreshing change, but she maybe ended up wrapped in the same clichés as her predecessors. And Daniels was a complete retrogression, really generic.

Oh I agree - I even though I'm not stuck on a particular gender either, I wouldn't mind seeing a male protagonist take the helm at this point.  (By the way, that's Huggs quote, not mine!)

Huggs

Huggs

Shaw was indeed a step in the right direction. Daniels, not so much, but damned if I can figure out why it struck me that way. Her character just felt bland for some reason.

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 22, 2018, 02:19:19 AM
(By the way, that's Huggs quote, not mine!)

Oh, just admit it. Admit you said it.  :D

Perfect-Organism

Hicks, I can't see why you can be tired of Ripley.  Her character hasn't been in action since 1997, a full 20 years ago.

I presume you're talking about the repetition of the character, via Daniels and Shaw, and on this level only, I agree.  If a new Aliens film is to be made with the idea of a strong female lead, it should be Ripley or nothing.  I am tired of seeing second rate Ripley knockoffs.  The character, be it man or woman just has to work well for the story. 

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 22, 2018, 02:25:59 AM

Shaw was indeed a step in the right direction. Daniels, not so much, but damned if I can figure out why it struck me that way. Her character just felt bland for some reason.

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 22, 2018, 02:19:19 AM
(By the way, that's Huggs quote, not mine!)

Oh, just admit it. Admit you said it.  :D

How can I take credit for such cultivating truths?? ;D

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 22, 2018, 02:40:52 AM
Hicks, I can't see why you can be tired of Ripley.  Her character hasn't been in action since 1997, a full 20 years ago.

I presume you're talking about the repetition of the character, via Daniels and Shaw, and on this level only, I agree.  If a new Aliens film is to be made with the idea of a strong female lead, it should be Ripley or nothing.  I am tired of seeing second rate Ripley knockoffs.  The character, be it man or woman just has to work well for the story. 

I'm with you there.  That's what I was saying - I'd like to see a character-driven protagonist over a half-assed copy of a character that has been recycled countless times, be they male or female.  Said it in a much more eloquent way, but I guess that's the message I was going for.

SM

QuoteHicks, I can't see why you can be tired of Ripley.  Her character hasn't been in action since 1997, a full 20 years ago.

Quite.

QuoteDaniels, not so much, but damned if I can figure out why it struck me that way. Her character just felt bland for some reason.

She's a protagonist without an arc.  We get she's tough at the start and she's tough at the end.  Any changes in her character were due to Jacob's death and were effectively dealt with before they got to Planet 4.

Magegg

These "strong female characters" unfortunately are all cut by the same scissors: they begin as sort of vulnerable yet caring and end up becoming tough at cost of pain. Ripley, Shaw, Daniels, Connor... it's just a formula over and over.

I wouldn't even call them "strong female characters", they're never devoid of a big sense of vulnerability.

Well, Sarah Connor is the exception; I loved how she become totally nuts in Terminator 2... then she began crying because of the trauma and all of that, but well, it was consistent, and she was much different than Ripley, who I can take as a predecessor.

But definitely I don't another one of these so-called "strong female protagonists". I don't want another Sarah Connor, and more than all, I don't want another Ripley. Create a new kind of female protagonist. Or just give me a new kind of protagonist, regardless of gender.

Wysps

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 22, 2018, 02:51:53 AM
These "strong female characters" unfortunately are all cut by the same scissors: they begin as sort of vulnerable yet caring and end up becoming tough at cost of pain. Ripley, Shaw, Daniels, Connor... it's just a formula over and over.

I wouldn't even call them "strong female characters", they're never devoid of a big sense of vulnerability.

Well, Sarah Connor is the exception; I loved how she become totally nuts in Terminator 2... then she began crying because of the trauma and all of that, but well, it was consistent, and she was much different than Ripley, who I can take as a predecessor.

But definitely I don't another one of these so-called "strong female protagonists". I don't want another Sarah Connor, and more than all, I don't want another Ripley. Create a new kind of female protagonist. Or just give me a new kind of protagonist, regardless of gender.

Yes, a new type of protagonist altogether that breaks the cycle of what we've been shown before.  That would be fantastic.

Huggs

Huggs

Protagonists and genders aside, the strength of the alien movies has always been a good ensemble. A proper lack of which is doing its fair share in killing these prequels. 2 or 3 good characters are driving these movies. The rest are cannon fodder, and ignorant individuals that are supposed to be smart.

SM

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 22, 2018, 02:51:53 AM

That doesn't apply to either Ripley or Shaw.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed