Stupidity of the Ego: In defence of Prometheus and Covenant

Started by Ingwar, Aug 26, 2019, 08:15:30 PM

Author
Stupidity of the Ego: In defence of Prometheus and Covenant (Read 16,291 times)

Ingwar

I just re-watched ALIEN: What is Cosmic Horror? video essay released by Real Dimensional Pictures in May 2017. It's very interesting take on Alien franchise, especially in relation to flawed Prometheus and Covenant and their characters' actions. I have to admit that I rolled eyes few times (who hasn't?) while watching both Alien prequels but this video somewhat changed by approach.

It's 17 minutes long and it's worth watching. It contains 3 parts:

The Soulless Ego
Mankind: The Infant, The Ant
Hell - The Consequence of Arrogance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3WExPtoqoo

To quote the author of the essay:

QuoteCosmic horror is what the Alien franchise runs on. The basis thesis of the movie is that the ego of mankind cannot even remotely prepare them for the cold and inhuman evils found in the universe. When one rolls their eyes in frustration at the scientists playing with a dangerous snake-like creature instead of running away , or the crew who think they can outsmart what exists in the unknown, we are really rolling our eyes at the arrogance and stupidity of the ego.

Enoch

I completely agree with that approach to the subject, furthermore I think that certain characters were purposefully written in such a way to represent that aspect of human ego, vanity and stupidity.

Evanus

It would explain a lot. :P  Thanks for sharing!

Nukiemorph

Good essay.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Enoch on Aug 28, 2019, 04:45:13 PM
I think that certain characters were purposefully written in such a way to represent that aspect of human ego, vanity and stupidity.

I wouldn't go that far :) It may be just sheer coincidence or bad writing in some cases.

The Old One

The Old One

A interesting hypothetical, but I prefer a character or set of them I can respect the intelligence of.

PsyKore

Only time I really rolled my eyes was when he tried to touch the snake. Oh, and the whole map guy getting lost. I felt like most other things is just down to individual behaviour. There's no accounting for what anyone would or wouldn't do despite us thinking we know better.

Ingwar

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 29, 2019, 10:40:24 PM
I prefer a character or set of them I can respect the intelligence of.

That's my biggest problem with prequels.

Evanus

Quote from: PsyKore on Aug 30, 2019, 10:47:50 AM
Only time I really rolled my eyes was when he tried to touch the snake. Oh, and the whole map guy getting lost. I felt like most other things is just down to individual behaviour. There's no accounting for what anyone would or wouldn't do despite us thinking we know better.
Yeah, I feel the same. People were really overreacting IMO. I have a bigger issue with the lack of proper character development for certain characters.

Immortan Jonesy

I completely agree with that approach to the subject, furthermore I think that certain characters were purposefully written in such a way to represent that aspect of human ego, vanity and stupidity.

I like the ideas contributed by the prequels, however that is like saying AVPR is too dark cos the filmmakers wanted to reflect how terrifying the Alien universe is  :P

Ingwar

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 30, 2019, 05:34:17 PM

I like the ideas contributed by the prequels, however that is like saying AVPR is too dark cos the filmmakers wanted to reflect how terrifying the Alien universe is  :P

AVPR is the darkest cosmic horror ever made ;D

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 30, 2019, 06:38:09 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 30, 2019, 05:34:17 PM

No joke! that shit is the black hole of Alien's franchises. It must be a metaphor or something :-X

The Old One

The Old One

Ahaha. I wish.

Ingwar

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 31, 2019, 12:22:15 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 30, 2019, 06:38:09 PM

No joke! that shit is the black hole of Alien's franchises. It must be a metaphor or something :-X

https://i.imgur.com/P7fnPee.gif

The deepest and heaviest metaphor which explains why I didn't manage to watch it. I couldn't bear its weight.

Drukathi

Drukathi

WOW! Cool vid. And I should notice that Alien: Covenant clearly showed us that David is also an ignorant and arrogant. His stupidity will be the inevitable result. I believe that he will make a mistake and be killed by aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed