Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Sep 24, 2014, 04:05:16 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2 (Read 48,941 times)

oduodu

hudafuk

perhaps

but is there anyone better ??

not attacking simply asking??

life has a balance and i believe ridley has done two of the greatest sci fies ever(in the top 5 of all time definitely) . where do you go after that ?? if you do the same what will happen?

i just think ridley did two original movies - both alien and blade runner were original movies or am i mistaken. and they were copied to death.

or were they ??

if not what set them apart ??

both alien and bladerunner werent thrill a minute movies they build slowly and finally deliver.

that s why they are classics. and cameron came and just build on that and forgot about the space jockey.

Ridley has the ability to see and create something original strange beautful - he has the ability to create composition - and like all work of art not everone allways works that well or will be considered art.

just my two cents....

HuDaFuK

I don't think it helps that Riddle's recent films have pretty much all been either underwhelming or downright naff. You have to go back quite a way to find something he did that was really good.

Quote from: oduodu on Oct 03, 2014, 08:38:27 AMperhaps

Scorsese? Cameron? Nolan? Spielberg?

Like them or not, most of the time they hit rather than miss.

oduodu

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 03, 2014, 08:57:34 AM
I don't think it helps that Riddle's recent films have pretty much all been either underwhelming or downright naff. You have to go back quite a way to find something he did that was really good.

Quote from: oduodu on Oct 03, 2014, 08:38:27 AMperhaps

Scorsese? Cameron? Nolan? Spielberg?

Like them or not, most of the time they hit rather than miss.

i am not very knowledgable on movies and directors so out pure lack of knowledge : are they better ?? i am asking because i really dont know.

my question is if them being better will they have made a better alien prequel ??

HuDaFuK

Quote from: oduodu on Oct 03, 2014, 09:03:42 AMmy question is if them being better will they have made a better alien prequel ??

That's not really what I'm saying. People just started saying Scott has lost it somewhat as a director, and I agreed.

oduodu

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 03, 2014, 09:15:07 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Oct 03, 2014, 09:03:42 AMmy question is if them being better will they have made a better alien prequel ??

That's not really what I'm saying. People just started saying Scott has lost it somewhat as a director, and I agreed.

oh ok

maybe he has .........

noted

LOL

is the relevance of him losing it as a director the reason why prometheus was .......well whatever people say it was ???

is that the cause of the prometheus we got ??

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 01, 2014, 10:42:46 AM
The AVP concept could work brilliantly. I still say that the original comic could be adapted with with very little modification (largely, making the Alien a genuine and epic challenge for every single Predator confrontation; facing off aganst them should make you an elite, not a common adult) and the basic story would be great to watch on the big screen.

Granted it's been sometime since I last read it but I always thoughts Briggs' script was just fine as it was and would have made a great film.

If they basic idea of what drove the story had been written in a more logical, plausible fashion, there wouldn't be nearly the same level of criticism levelled against it.

And that is Lindelof's problem in a nutshell. He simply can't do logical. He wants spectacle and ambiguous - something Ridley Scott also wanted apparently.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Gash on Oct 01, 2014, 04:03:27 PM
The Steve Irwin analogy.

People who are destined to die in movies usually do something stupid. Just like real people sometimes do.

Firstly, so far as I know, Irwin wasn't in the same profession - and was getting paid to deliberately put himself at risk. That's a whole world away (no pun intended) from an expedition to an alien world where very strict protocols about quarantine and contamination should have been getting observed. He didn't even take along any equipment for safe handling of organisms, for crying out loud.

Secondly, it wasn't just his actions, alone. The ship is supposedly crewed by leading experts, but it's just one example of a pattern of ineptitude; all of which starts with Shaw's other half removing his helmet - and the rest of them idiotically following suit. I could buy Weyland doing it, because he's being portrayed as arrogant to the hilt (part of why I preferred Henriksen's version), but these guys? No... It's like the scientists in this session say: After a certain point, you're actively rooting for them to die, purely for entertainment value and that's not an end result you want when writing a story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osBFSuTRTqk#ws

Also, like they say, there is the distinct feeling that Ridley Scott and co did have advisors on hand, but probably chose to ignore them for cheap thrills.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 03, 2014, 11:17:55 AM
Granted it's been sometime since I last read it but I always thoughts Briggs' script was just fine as it was and would have made a great film.

I'm still very intrigued at what the unseen later draft included...

It needed much less in the way of an Alien body-count (confronting one should have been portrayed as so insanely dangerous, that it's their rite of passage to become an elite, not merely an adult), but otherwise hopped along at a nice pace. Considering the first draft was written over a weekend or so, it held together relatively well. It's difficult to judge until we get access to a later version.

QuoteAnd that is Lindelof's problem in a nutshell. He simply can't do logical. He wants spectacle and ambiguous - something Ridley Scott also wanted apparently.

That's really the issue, from what I can tell. Scott was pushing for that angle and encouraging it, compounding the issue. It's just a huge shame that, for all the deliberate attempt at mystery, there isn't one moment which comes close to the here-be-dragons feel of that original Space Jockey reveal, which is what he should have been going for.

Kind of interesting to see that 'Isolation' is disproving his statements about how the Alien supposedly can't be portrayed as scary anymore, though... Wonder if he'll do a 180 if he's shown some of the more relevant footage.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 03, 2014, 01:42:08 PMSecondly, it wasn't just his actions, alone. The ship is supposedly crewed by leading experts, but it's just one example of a pattern of ineptitude; all of which starts with Shaw's other half removing his helmet - and the rest of them idiotically following suit. I could buy Weyland doing it, because he's being portrayed as arrogant to the hilt (part of why I preferred Henriksen's version), but these guys? No... It's like the scientists in this session say: After a certain point, you're actively rooting for them to die, purely for entertainment value and that's not an end result you want when writing a story.

Sums up my problem with the characters far better than I managed myself.

SM

Some scientists need lighten up before Stephen Hawking runs them over in his wheelchair.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I think the sequel could be a horror movie, even without xenomorphs in it. They could make a story based on the mythologies about fallen angels, or as in Paradise Lost. Who knows, maybe they could answer the question of Dr Shaw: Who made them?

On the other hand, there were many elements that made Alien a horror movie, not only the creature:

1. A dystopian future ruled by mega-corporations, with old ships and lots of technological devices that seem like obsolete scrap.
2. A brilliant soundtrack, which takes us into this world ruled by fear of the unknown.
3. The characters in Alien, much better developed than in Prometheus. In Alien there is no escape from his concept of slasher-in-space. There are many mundane things, like everything around the cat, and the cold relationship of his characters, all elements that are the guide to make even more alien, the xenomorph.
4. The claustrophobic atmosphere, something that was not present in Prometheus.

Anyway, something tells me that Ridley Scott will not make a horror movie. But I'm very curious to learn more about the Engineers.

Gash

Is the Prometheus supposedly crewed by experts? Fifield says he's there for the money, the others are only briefed on the mission on arrival. To me the crew is there as part of the Weyland subterfuge, to make it look like a mission for Shaw and Holloway, whilst David is working behind them all to ensure Weyland meets his maker.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Oct 04, 2014, 02:33:22 AMIs the Prometheus supposedly crewed by experts? Fifield says he's there for the money, the others are only briefed on the mission on arrival. To me the crew is there as part of the Weyland subterfuge, to make it look like a mission for Shaw and Holloway, whilst David is working behind them all to ensure Weyland meets his maker.

Sure, let's spend who knows how many billions building this spaceship and sending it further out into deep space than any manned mission has ever been before, with Weyland himself going along desperately hoping the operation will be a success and grant him a means to extend his life... and then really guarantee the success of the whole thing by crewing the ship with a bunch of bargain bin retards.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 03, 2014, 01:42:08 PMFirstly, so far as I know, Irwin wasn't in the same profession - and was getting paid to deliberately put himself at risk.

There is no counter argument to the "Steve Irwin" analogy that doesn't make everyone involved an idiot. Just stop. STOP.

Gash

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 04, 2014, 08:11:00 AM
Quote from: Gash on Oct 04, 2014, 02:33:22 AMIs the Prometheus supposedly crewed by experts? Fifield says he's there for the money, the others are only briefed on the mission on arrival. To me the crew is there as part of the Weyland subterfuge, to make it look like a mission for Shaw and Holloway, whilst David is working behind them all to ensure Weyland meets his maker.

Sure, let's spend who knows how many billions building this spaceship and sending it further out into deep space than any manned mission has ever been before, with Weyland himself going along desperately hoping the operation will be a success and grant him a means to extend his life... and then really guarantee the success of the whole thing by crewing the ship with a bunch of bargain bin retards.

Weyland has invested everything in David, his confidante throughout the mission even when he's in hypersleep. There's no-one amongst the crew that Weyland needs, other than security guards and apparently someone of faith for his own peace of mind.

"Is there an agenda we're not being told about?" Yes, there is. You're (Holloway, Shaw, etc) superfluous.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Oct 07, 2014, 08:21:24 PMWeyland has invested everything in David, his confidante throughout the mission even when he's in hypersleep. There's no-one amongst the crew that Weyland needs, other than security guards and apparently someone of faith for his own peace of mind.

Yes, those terribly effective security guards who served him so well, half of whom got killed only to magically reappear in the next scene.

This film was a mess.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed