DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust

Started by Ultramorph, Nov 29, 2017, 12:08:15 AM

Author
DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust (Read 75,752 times)

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 21, 2019, 03:18:30 PM
Only if you have aliens keep encountering that group. And even then there is ways around it, either the alien adapts and learns to avoid it or becomes resistent to it, or maybe have someone with a keen interest in the aliens sabotage those who would effectively destroy them.

Also you could just have average joes encounter the alien just like the first film. There would be no defence against the creature then.

All true. I just prefer my aliens to be more of a bigger scale threat than only a threat to unprepared average joes. All personal preference of course.
I like the adaption angle though. That would be a good solution for me  :)

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2019, 12:16:16 AM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 21, 2019, 03:04:17 PM
How not so?

As soon as you can easily kill something without collateral damage or drawbacks it becomes more of an inconvenience than a real threat.
But in the movies people are willing to blow up the colonies and ships anyway. The real damage is the loss of life, not property.

Hicks was, but guys like him don't usually call the shots. And if you nuke a colony, its much more than mere property damage. You destroy something that took decades to build and establish.

I prefer the aliens to be like a particular resistent infection. If it took hold, there is no other way to cut off the entire affected limb to assure survival.
Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration to what an organism like the aliens could do "realistically" speaking, but i very much would prefer it that way.

SiL

Hicks, Ripley and the rest of the marines were down for it. Burke was more concerned about the Aliens than the colony. The Nostromo crew didn't blow the ship sooner because of the life boats.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2019, 11:04:29 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 22, 2019, 10:36:58 AM
Fair point I suppose, just trying to acknowledge other potential explanations.
Those would only be potential explanations if there was any suggestion those factors were in play. There isn't. She hits it with several chemicals, nothing; bug spray, it freaks out. No sign it's painfully high pressure, no indication it's an extreme temperature.
I could be mis-remembering (I tried to find the clip on youtube to refresh my memory) but doesn't she try different valves and the third one is a much higher intensity and much closer to the Alien? That's why I figured the Alien got provoked.

Think about it this way: only mega-turbo-fans who checked the movie frame-by-frame even know that Ripley sprayed the Alien with some special chemical at all (and why on earth would there be a valve to open such a nasty chemical like that into the pressurized environment of the Narcissus' open air, and why wasn't Ripley affected by it?). Your average viewer is going to think the Alien got blasted with air or something, because the movie doesn't convey that what she's spraying is anything special.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2019, 11:04:29 AMThe chemical she sprays that gets the reaction is Nitrosyl Chloride. It's a nasty f**kin' chemical. It's also supposed to be yellow.
Based on the fact that what she sprays isn't yellow, and she doesn't poison herself, perhaps it isn't that chemical?

Granted she does open the airlock and vent the cabin's atmosphere into space, but I don't know if the chemical leaves behind residue that could still be present after everything is re-pressurized. Again, just considering other variables.

I'm looking up Nitrosyl Chloride and I'm trying to figure out why such a thing is present on the ship at all. Like, wikipedia tells me that it's used to combine with other chemicals to fabricate the polymer Nylon 6, and that appears to be its only use. ???

I mean it's a cool detail that the label for the button Ripley pushes means something in real terms, and it's a neat idea for eagle-eyed viewers (who, in 1979 when the movie came out, had no way to go frame-by-frame through the movie :P ) that maybe whatever she sprayed the Alien with actually affected it. But part of me thinks it might just be an easter egg, and that every tiny detail we spot might not be meant to be taken literally. Otherwise, I guess the pulse rifle doesn't fire "caseless" ammunition, the APC is very literally bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and the Queen's ovipositor has genuine incandescent light bulbs inside it.

Like I'm with you that the Alien could be susceptible to specific chemicals - it's even an idea that gets tossed around in the EU (and "the juice", the Alien-dissolving chemical from Xenogenesis, is yellow-green if I remember right), and I think it could be a neat idea that Ripley stumbled across one by accident, I'm more of playing devil's advocate and looking at other ideas before jumping to a conclusion.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 23, 2019, 03:25:01 AM
I could be mis-remembering (I tried to find the clip on youtube to refresh my memory) but doesn't she try different valves and the third one is a much higher intensity and much closer to the Alien? That's why I figured the Alien got provoked.
Rewatching, the first two just don't hit it. They come out of valves near the ceiling and vent into the main chamber.

Quote(and why on earth would there be a valve to open such a nasty chemical like that into the pressurized environment of the Narcissus' open air, and why wasn't Ripley affected by it?).
Decontamination, maybe.

As to why she's not affected, dude. She's in a space suit, and

Quotedoes open the airlock and vent the cabin's atmosphere into space,

Quotebut I don't know if the chemical leaves behind residue that could still be present after everything is re-pressurized.
The dissolve allows you to put as much time between blasting the Alien and taking off the suit as needed to make sure everything's clean.

Quoteand that every tiny detail we spot might not be meant to be taken literally. Otherwise, I guess the pulse rifle doesn't fire "caseless" ammunition, the APC is very literally bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and the Queen's ovipositor has genuine incandescent light bulbs inside it.
They're not really analogous, though. The things you listed after are goofs or filmmaking slight of hand. Maybe in the future some savvy business person started selling excess Nitrosyl Chloride as a decontaminant in the case you find a deadly alien organism (It's not just toxic, it's highly irritant to mucous membranes -- and we know the Alien is oh so mucousy!)

Like Dallas referring to "molecular acid". All acid is molecular. Maybe it's a thing in the future.

Weird, yes -- wrong, only if you need it to be to win an argument :P

QuoteI'm more of playing devil's advocate and looking at other ideas before jumping to a conclusion.
I don't see how "She sprays it with a toxic chemical that burns mucous membranes and it reacts, ergo it is affected by the toxic chemical" is jumping to a conclusion...

Prez

I always took it as Ripley was just releasing steam and then hit the right valve that caused ol Big Chap to get out of his comfy sleeping nook.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jan 23, 2019, 03:42:36 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 23, 2019, 03:25:01 AM
Rewatching, the first two just don't hit it. They come out of valves near the ceiling and vent into the main chamber.
That's my point - she hits it with a pressurized jet of something, we don't know if it's what she sprayed, or the temperature/pressure of what she sprayed. Like I said, correlation =/= causation.

Quote(and why on earth would there be a valve to open such a nasty chemical like that into the pressurized environment of the Narcissus' open air, and why wasn't Ripley affected by it?).
Decontamination, maybe.
I, uh
I'm not sure decontamination works by spraying a highly contaminating substance into an area. Like, the hazmat link you provided said that if you're afraid you spilled any of it, you should evacuate a pretty wide area and call professionals to decontaminate the stuff. It seems like a pretty mind-blowing safety oversight if any idiot can release the stuff into an enclosed environment with the push of a button and your best solution is "hope you're in the vacuum of space and already suited up, open the airlock, and hope you don't die". :P

Quoteand that every tiny detail we spot might not be meant to be taken literally. Otherwise, I guess the pulse rifle doesn't fire "caseless" ammunition, the APC is very literally bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and the Queen's ovipositor has genuine incandescent light bulbs inside it.
They're not really analogous, though. The things you listed after are goofs or filmmaking slight of hand. Maybe in the future some savvy business person started selling excess Nitrosyl Chloride as a decontaminant in the case you find a deadly alien organism (It's not just toxic, it's highly irritant to mucous membranes -- and we know the Alien is oh so mucousy!)

Like Dallas referring to "molecular acid". All acid is molecular. Maybe it's a thing in the future.

Weird, yes -- wrong, only if you need it to be to win an argument :P
Like I said, I'm not really against the idea but I've got a nagging voice in my head saying we might be reading into an easter egg a bit too much. I'm not saying you're ultimately wrong, especially since the more I think about it the more I like your idea, I'm just expressing my feelings (and exploring the full ramifications of your idea). :)

Quote from: Prez on Jan 23, 2019, 03:51:57 AM
I always took it as Ripley was just releasing steam and then hit the right valve that caused ol Big Chap to get out of his comfy sleeping nook.
Exactly. I'm fairly confident that's what 99% of audience members thought when they watched that scene. It doesn't mean they're right, but the filmmaking language present is still worth noting.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 23, 2019, 03:59:16 AM
That's my point - she hits it with a pressurized jet of something, we don't know if it's what she sprayed, or the temperature/pressure of what she sprayed. Like I said, correlation =/= causation.
It doesn't come out at high pressure. There's an initial kick, which doesn't bother the Alien. It's after a moment it starts freaking out.

QuoteIt seems like a pretty mind-blowing safety oversight if any idiot can release the stuff into an enclosed environment with the push of a button and your best solution is "hope you're in the vacuum of space and already suited up, open the airlock, and hope you don't die". :P
Cos the button's just sitting out in the open and not under a panel that requires several button presses to open :P

If it were the crew of the Prometheus, though...

Xenomrph

I really wish the scene was on youtube somewhere, I feel like I'd make a better argument (or, you know, just flat-out concede :P ) if my memory of the scene was better. The closest I could find on youtube starts, like, immediately after the Alien gets sprayed.

Maybe tomorrow after work I'll get off my lazy ass and pop the bluray into the bluray player.

razeak

razeak

Maybe the system is like nitrous booster on a car. Maybe she purged the system when she pressed the button. Maybe it takes a second press to actually release it.

As for the comic, I loved the art. The story was good overall.

Corporal Hicks

Xiggz456

Another awesome podcast! A story revolving around an adult Maxon would definitely be something that I'd like to see. Overall I'm interested in seeing more stories done by a single creator as the art tends to further the narrative in a more cohesive manner when one person is behind the wheel. Excited for the extras that'll be included in the trade which I believe is dropping 4/24 during Alien Week!

The Old One

The Old One

Fantastic Podcast, no omniscient answer.

No Pig Alien thank you lol.  :laugh:
Non-human non-sentient = Alien³ Alien. IMO

Nukiemorph

Anybody have an idea when Dust to Dust takes place?

Ultramorph

I'd say it's set around the same time as the recent crossovers, so probably about 40 years after Aliens.

The Old One

The Old One

So around the same time as Dead Orbit?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed