Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings

Started by Ingwar, Jan 08, 2019, 09:00:07 PM

Author
Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings (Read 19,947 times)

Elmazalman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2019, 10:39:51 AM
Did anyone else pick up on anything?

Also, for anyone who cares, the colour grading when Brett was going to his death in the engineering area was copper for this edition.
Was the copper an improvement compared to the gold? I thought the gold tint was a bit too much for the 2010 DC Blu-ray version.

Whiskeybrewer

Going to see this tonight. Cant wait

The Old One

The Old One

Enjoy!

Whiskeybrewer

I did. Really great to see it on the big screen. The Model Work and sets really shine through and the Chestburster scene is even more visceral. Also spotted a couple of shots id never seen before, or noticed anyway because ive only seen it on the small screen

Prez

Having a heart attack here. Just found out my local cinema is showing the 4K version on the big screen in April  ;D

For all you other Aussies check out your local Event Cinema around early April.

Darkness

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2019, 10:39:51 AM
I went to Prince Charles Theatre in London for their first showing. It was also packed. It looked and sounded great. That said, I didn't notice any massive improvement over the Blu-ray restoration. Maybe it was the projector or I'm not really able to pick up on the difference between 1080 and 4K (though it's not actually 4K if that technical memory is correct?).

Did anyone else pick up on anything?

Listened to your latest podcast today and heard you mention this.

I'd imagine unless you have them side by side, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K in the theatre. Even at home, that might be the case. The closer to your TV you sit, the better it will be. But don't despair, HDR is far more noticeable than 4K and cinemas can't do that yet. Do your research before buying a 4K TV - you'll see a lot of cheap ones claiming to be HDR but you need to have a 10-bit panel for true HDR. OLED is the way to go if you want deep blacks but it'll cost you at least a grand in the sales, Prices go down substantially towards the end of the year.

Росси́я

Saw Alien last week at the local Odeon and then Aliens earlier this week at the Vue...much better watching on the big screen than at home (although I wish Vue had properly dimmed the lights like Odeon did)

Kradan

You have pretty interesting nickname. I'm Ukranian by the way.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Darkness on Mar 18, 2019, 07:57:56 PMOLED is the way to go if you want deep blacks

I wonder how AvPR looks on it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed