Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 116,398 times)

Samhain13

That date seems a little odd.

Where did the author said the aliens in this novel came from? I haven't listened to the podcast yet, since it has spoilers on the history. Can you answer it here on a spoiler tag or with a PM to me?

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 13, 2018, 05:56:13 PM

Where did the author said the aliens in this novel came from? I haven't listened to the podcast yet, since it has spoilers on the history. Can you answer it here on a spoiler tag or with a PM to me?

Spoiler
He reasons that WY most likely knew about the derelict prior to the colony being set up, either from the events of Isolation, or events prior to Alien itself (hence the ship taking a route past the planet) or some other thing (the point being, some time prior to Burke sending out the order to Hadley's to go investigate), and at some point sent people to fetch eggs, that eventually made their way to the cold forge research station.

He says he'd like to do a story about it if Titan does another anthology volume.

He also reasons that Burke was trying to pull a power play, and keeping things need-to-know, hence why he went himself instead of sending a disposable pawn.
[close]

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 13, 2018, 06:08:15 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on May 13, 2018, 05:56:13 PM

Spoiler
He reasons that WY most likely knew about the derelict prior to the colony being set up, either from the events of Isolation, or events prior to Alien itself (hence the ship taking a route past the planet) or some other thing (the point being, some time prior to Burke sending out the order to Hadley's to go investigate), and at some point sent people to fetch eggs, that eventually made their way to the cold forge research station.

He says he'd like to do a story about it if Titan does another anthology volume.

He also reasons that Burke was trying to pull a power play, and keeping things need-to-know, hence why he went himself instead of sending a disposable pawn.
[close]

Oh I see, thanks. Still it would be easier to just set the story much far into the future, that way we could just imagine the aliens came from the locations of any of the other EU stories out there.

Corporal Hicks

HuDaFuK

Even though I've not read the book yet, that strikes me as something that would be really interesting.

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 15, 2018, 07:57:59 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If I were to do a chapter-by-chapter COLD FORGE commentary in my newsletter, would that interest you? (<a href="https://twitter.com/Yutani_Assets?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Yutani_Assets</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/_CorporalHicks?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@_CorporalHicks</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/avpgalaxy?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@avpgalaxy</a>)</p>— Alex White (@alexrwhite) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexrwhite/status/996183452025311236?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes, please.

Still Collating...

I'm halfway through this amaizing book. Yes, I would so like to see that.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2018, 06:37:48 AM
muthur9000 had a yack with Alex White too.

Really enjoyed this one. I just love listening to Alex chat about the book and Alien. Loved his idea about mankind being the Engineer's ultimate bioweapon. Alex needs to return to this franchise.

HuDaFuK

Finally got started on this last night. Ripped through quite a few chapters for one sitting and already liking it a lot.

Especially liked
Spoiler
the "impregnation virus" angle. I've mentioned before how I liked the old idea that Facehuggers actually implant a tumour that forces the host's body to build the Chestburster from its own cells, and this seems to be tying in with that.
[close]

And yeah, Dorian is a c*nt and Blue is probably the most interesting hero I can recall in an Alien novel, so kudos to White.

HybridNewborn

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Finished reading this on Wednesday and decided to wait until I listen to the podcast before I comment.  So I listened to the podcast last night.

This book really shows what the Aliens series can be if handled by the right person.  It was epic!  One of the best Alien books, if not the best Alien book ever written.  Thanks for that Alex, and thanks for the really great podcast.

To me, Lucy was the Lambert of the novel.  I wonder how intentional that was.

The proposed audio book really gives me cause for concern.  If I don't get this as a full on Audible audio play, I will be disappointed.  I don't recall ever hearing two audio books being made of the same book, so I hope this does not spell out the death of the proper Audible play.  This book truly deserves it.

Oh, and I forgive the awkward flat headed Alien on the cover.  Is there any way I can get my hands on a copy of the instantly classic version with the erroneous 5 tubes on the Alien's back? :D

But I do hope that Titan moves away from the artist doing their covers.  It strikes me that it may be the same artist, because there is a feel of the same cheap photoshop technique.

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 19, 2018, 01:16:53 PMThe proposed audio book really gives me cause for concern.  If I don't get this as a full on Audible audio play, I will be disappointed.  I don't recall ever hearing two audio books being made of the same book, so I hope this does not spell out the death of the proper Audible play.  This book truly deserves it.

Both Out of the Shadows and River of Pain had normal readings prior to getting adaptations. Additionally, all the readings are now done by Blackstone Audio (and have been for some time) while the adaptations are done by Audible Originals.

I, too, hope to high heaven that this gets adapted because sweet jesus it deserves it.

Perfect-Organism

Ok, that's great to hear.  I never heard of those other books getting the direct reading audio version.  Anyway, if there will be the direct reading AND an audio play, even better!

Corporal Hicks

Has anyone had any issues with the podcast seeming to start over again about an hour in?

SM

SM

The one Clara did?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed