Full Game Aliens vs. Predator 2 (ALL IN ONE) Edition

Started by x-M-x, Feb 19, 2016, 06:55:20 PM

Author
Full Game Aliens vs. Predator 2 (ALL IN ONE) Edition (Read 200,285 times)

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: JP on Mar 06, 2017, 01:29:47 PM
Hate to break it to you guys but the "AIO" has registry problems. Sometimes during the instalation, it sets the directory registry incorrectly. I fixed this some time ago by renaming the game directory from "aliens vs predator 2" to something else and then editing the corresponding registry manualy.

Sure about that? as it's standard ISO Files.

I've installed it on 10+ machines in the past (not a single problem all installed fine)

Not sure what your getting at.

Registry problems? well not sure, can't please em all eh?  ;)

**EDIT**

Is this windows 10 by any chance? (it's nice that you tried the AIO) Love You JP.  :P

JP

win 7

hkey_local_lachine\software\wow6432node\monolith productions\aliens vs. predator 2\1.0

the AIO messes the install dir sometimes

I once had the client MFC thing, changed the InstallDir to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fox\Aliens vs. Predator 10" and the folder directory to match. Fixed the problem

x-M-x

Quote from: JP on Mar 07, 2017, 12:05:58 AM
win 7

hkey_local_lachine\software\wow6432node\monolith productions\aliens vs. predator 2\1.0

I once had the client MFC thing, changed the InstallDir to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fox\Aliens vs. Predator 10" and the folder directory to match. Fixed the problem

Good to know, (Must be a shot in the dark as I've never ran into this) it's probs touch and go sometimes)

Olde

So by extension, you're saying that since changing the installation directory might be important or even necessary, that it should be a feature of an installer?

Quote from: TBBC
Quote from: OldeHow about an uninstall feature? Or at least allow people to change the directory so they can see the actual contents of the installer.
Why does the 1.0.9.6 patch come without an uninstall feature? "Patches" generally replace essential game files and uninstalling them will render your game unusable. I see no reason to unlock the directory. If you're worried about it you should reinstall the game or not install this patch in the first place :P.
http://forum.tbbcbase.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=266&start=20#p2903

JP

QuoteSo by extension, you're saying that since changing the installation directory might be important or even necessary, that it should be a feature of an installer?

Why should it be feeatured in the installer when the installer itself looks for the game directory and automatically moves the files there?

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: JP on Mar 07, 2017, 07:59:07 PM
QuoteSo by extension, you're saying that since changing the installation directory might be important or even necessary, that it should be a feature of an installer?

Why should it be feeatured in the installer when the installer itself looks for the game directory and automatically moves the files there?

I think this can be attributed to the automatic cd verification system, I also noticed this behavior on other CD ROM games such as No one Live Forever 2 and Tron 2.0.
the only difference in the setup, and that tron and nolf had incorporated the verification system.
in practice it was not possible to install the game without the cd key.
AVP2 not required the verification system,  required only when attempting to play multiplayer.

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 07, 2017, 12:56:44 AM
win 7

Good to know, (Must be a shot in the dark as I've never ran into this) it's probs touch and go sometimes)

I had already pointed out this problem on Windows 10 but you did not listen, or maybe you did not understand me.
what I do not understand why this problem does not occur with the demonoid version  very similar to your aio.
I think this can simply be attributed to a disc burning problem.

Quote from: Olde on Mar 07, 2017, 06:50:44 PM
So by extension, you're saying that since changing the installation directory might be important or even necessary, that it should be a feature of an installer?

Quote from: TBBC
Quote from: OldeHow about an uninstall feature? Or at least allow people to change the directory so they can see the actual contents of the installer.
Why does the 1.0.9.6 patch come without an uninstall feature? "Patches" generally replace essential game files and uninstalling them will render your game unusable. I see no reason to unlock the directory. If you're worried about it you should reinstall the game or not install this patch in the first place :P.
http://forum.tbbcbase.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=266&start=20#p2903

This problem did not occur with the automatic version made in the past by olde.
because in reality directly forcing the installation process by simply copying the files into the game folder.

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 06, 2017, 03:35:06 PM

Is this windows 10 by any chance? (it's nice that you tried the AIO) Love You JP.  :P
a true love

x-M-x

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 08, 2017, 07:09:15 AM
I had already pointed out this problem on Windows 10 but you did not listen, or maybe you did not understand me.
what I do not understand why this problem does not occur with the demonoid version  very similar to your aio.
I think this can simply be attributed to a disc burning problem.

He Said Windows 7, not Windows 10..... (I've installed AIO myself on windows 98/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10) Not a single problem.

Game boots up and plays.

*These problems that people are having*

Is either just bad luck or something not configured correctly.

Olde

Quote from: JP on Mar 07, 2017, 07:59:07 PM

So you can see what the installer actually installs instead of having to have your original files get overwritten. Duh.

JP

But the patch needs to overwrite game files in order to work... Thats the nature of a patch. If you really want to know what files where added/modified why not just sort your game directory by modified date?

Olde

Quote from: JP on Mar 09, 2017, 01:34:43 AM
But the patch needs to overwrite game files in order to work... Thats the nature of a patch. If you really want to know what files where added/modified why not just sort your game directory by modified date?
By that time it's too late. The point is that it changes stuff that you don't even know what will change by the time the installer is done. How will I know what it will install? To be fair, you can just delete the whole AvP2 folder and reinstall the game if you don't like what you see, but that's an annoyance because TBBC refuses to unlock the directory. Why is it such a huge request? In 2017 if I want to install the files somewhere other than the AvP2 folder, shouldn't I be able to do that? And on top of that it doesn't have an uninstaller? Come on, now. What is he trying to hide? That's not a rhetorical question.

JP

If you install these files in a folder other than the game directory it will result in a failed installation... Isn't it the point of an installer to install stuff correctly? And how are you going to unninstal a patch that replaces essential game files?

Olde

If you install anything to the wrong game directory it will result in a failed installation, but it's the choice of the user to change it. And I was under the impression the old versions had an uninstaller.

piff

is there anyway some could make a customer installer where it will have all  the map packs and AJL mods and maybe even the final master server patch?

I want to post links sites but I just think its to many links, 1 ISO file with everything in  it will help out!

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: piff on Mar 10, 2017, 09:38:34 PM
is there anyway some could make a customer installer where it will have all  the map packs and AJL mods and maybe even the final master server patch?

I want to post links sites but I just think its to many links, 1 ISO file with everything in  it will help out!

dear Piff I understand that you're confused.
lose more than 5 minutes to read this topic and you'll get some answers.
What do you mean by final master server?
it would be nice to have a single solution for make everyone happy.
believe me you are looking for a chimera!

Quote from: Olde on Mar 09, 2017, 06:36:12 PM
If you install anything to the wrong game directory it will result in a failed installation, but it's the choice of the user to change it. And I was under the impression the old versions had an uninstaller.
true but except for AVP2 I'll note that the dlc for exemple becomes unstable if it is installed in a directory different than the default .
i think is only luck if this old game work on modern operating systems.
I am convinced that could be a viable solution using emulation programs such as jdvoodo to solve some problems of incompatibility.

as I am convinced that in the future the emulation of old games in virtual environments will have greater impact in the future.

especially on retro titles.
AVP2 perhaps it was simply too far ahead of the time when it came out,but also be true I'm a fool!

Olde

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 10, 2017, 10:34:29 PM
I am convinced that could be a viable solution using emulation programs such as jdvoodo to solve some problems of incompatibility.
dgvoodoo is the only way I can run the game on my new computer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed