Space Jockeys in Alien V?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Feb 22, 2015, 01:41:57 AM

You want to see the Engineers (aka Space Jockeys) in Alien V?

Yes, Absolutely!
18 (58.1%)
Whatever, I couldn't care less.
5 (16.1%)
Absolutely not! Prometheus ruined the Space Jockeys for me.
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author
Space Jockeys in Alien V? (Read 12,736 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Definitely hope it's Egg morphing then. The less bald albino crap, the better.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Space Jockey's can exist in both worlds equally as separate entities. First off, the "engineers" did not creates us, in fact they are us. Our DNA matches because both species are human. Probably copies of some other human. Ha that big head in the giant room probably was the last "true" human. The alien hanging on the wall was simply the tool (read as savior) that allowed him to save their species though its dna donation and his sacrifice.

Why the engineers are 8 foot tall albinos? Well we'd look the same if we were to travel for eons in space. Maybe the engineers were the first to get to lv223, except they took the long route and had yet to invent ftl. They then, upon learning that their god was dead, built a temple to honor him and went right to work doing exactly what we would. In the name of science and religion, make shit and ascend the throne of god.

The space jockey was fossilized and there is no reason that he's not from the human race that predates both earth humans and engineers. The engineers may have just copied the technology they found. Their tech is much more mechanical than organic. Eggs vs urns. The space jockey in alien can be a different entity if they want it too.

The invitation was a warning, paralleling the derelict distress call in Alien. Maybe the space jockey in Alien was heading to the engineer home world to erase that majorly flawed human race.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think the addition of the Engineers getting involved in Ripley's tale are what makes bringing her  back interesting. Its a good way to explore why the Company wanted the Alien to begin with.

For starters - Why are the Engineers in contact with Ripley? What do they want with us 700 years from now, and how does Ripley's experience with the Alien interfere/interact with that?

These are interesting questions Id like to see explored.

Gash

Gash

That derelict looks a bit small, and other than it's outline, not very Gigerish.

JPredator

JPredator

I think some element of the space jockey should be in the film.

reason being that after all she has been through. i think ripley deserves some answers. She deserves to know more about the alien and make some discoveries along the way.

if not, then its just an endless stream of films where ripley does nothing but wakes up and fights aliens with no advancement in story.

there needs to be an element that changes things up.

i would really like it if say ripley learns some information that the characters in prometheus 1 and 2 do not. like mayby she discovers that the space jockey and engineer are two different species.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gash on Feb 23, 2015, 05:43:53 AM
That derelict looks a bit small, and other than it's outline, not very Gigerish.
It's encrusted in rock.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 23, 2015, 02:15:37 PM
It's encrusted in rock.

Speculating a bit more about this concept art, perhaps the Derelict has been buried under the volcanic geology of LV-426 after thermonuclear destruction of Hadley's Hope.

We need Gutalin!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Makes sense, especially given its state in the Special Edition of Aliens.

Initially I was wondering if, perhaps, that facility it's being held in is located right on LV-426, but the banner underneath the egg-morph image reads "Weyland-Yutani Headquarters,"  and I'm assuming that the ship is in the same place.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I think it would be great to finally tie-in the events of Prometheus with the Aliens storyline.  I loved Prometheus.  Just a brilliant piece of film-making that maintains mystery and pays homage to its own genre.  Yes it has some flaws, but overall the sum of its parts makes it one of the best films in the Alien series.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 23, 2015, 04:09:37 PM
I think it would be great to finally tie-in the events of Prometheus with the Aliens storyline.  I loved Prometheus.  Just a brilliant piece of film-making that maintains mystery and pays homage to its own genre.  Yes it has some flaws, but overall the sum of its parts makes it one of the best films in the Alien series.

I doubt that this is going to happen because FOX has already said that the new film is a sequel to the Alien franchise. The only possible connection with Prometheus is the Space Jockey (assuming that Space Jockeys and Engineers are the same). And even if the film shows something, I can bet that has nothing to do with the fate of Shaw & David, that's for another story.

For now, the scenario that cross to my mind is similar to the Colonial Marines game: the company managed to find one of those wishbone-shaped craft and now they are studying the ancient artifact. If we are lucky, we will see something about the technology of this ancient extraterrestrial civilization. But the main focus of this new film are the Aliens.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

To me it would make most sense if they ran the series in two different directions and then merged them together in a grand finale.

-We find out about the engineers and the home-world through Shaw's story.

-We learn more about the Aliens and we finish Ripley's story properly through the Alien films.

-We finish by merging the two story arcs.  Could get about 9 films out of this...

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 22, 2015, 02:45:12 AM
Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Feb 22, 2015, 02:34:26 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 22, 2015, 02:24:43 AM
They could get away with keeping the Jockey shape from the original if they leave us with the impression that the black goo or some other Engineer biological meddling made him the way he is. If the Engineer flight suit in Prometheus is indeed biomechanical, it would be easy to buy into the suit literally fusing with the body of an Engineer (and perhaps the ship as well, which in and of itself was much more biological than Prometheus' Juggernaut) in order to create the being that we saw in Alien. Perhaps the Jockey and the chair are indeed one in the same, the result of genetic meddling farther beyond what was explored in Prometheus.
This is brilliant and also keeps prometheus and alien in the same universe, whilst letting them have their own stories.
Can't believe Ridley changed that amazingness in the bottom picture into that goofy looking dickhead in the top one. Hope Blomkamp gives us a real giant biomechanical space jockey this time. There are plenty of story ways to make it happen so that Prometheus doesn't have to be totally redundant.

Honestly, the Prometheus revelations are more interesting artistically, and from a story point of view. There are still Lovecraftian elements, but the Lovecraftian fiction genre is so vapid, and to a degree xenophobic. Lovecraft himself was a very staunch racist, someone who also believed in eugenics. The idea of these foreign things that can't be understood, was an interesting idea at the time, but its been done to death. You can only get away with the tropes central to Lovecraft for so long before you realize you're conception of horror is lazy and relying on the worst and cheapest elements of humanity (fear of the unknown) to provoke a response. This is all subjective, but the best method of bringing horror is to have human experience in it. You don't fear the Alien because it's some outer-space beast you can't reason with, you fear it mostly because of how it reproduces, you get plastered on a wall, your arms and legs cracked, an egg opens up, shoots its seed down into you, and you wake up and a few hours later the single most painful experience of your life occurs, and something bursts through your ribcage and turns your innards into mush. Now, the reason that is horrifying, is because there are relatable aspects (gone over a million times), and not just oooh spooky unknowable space beasts.

There are still Lovecraftian elements, but the Alien series has always had an unsaid background in the occult and perhaps even gnosticism, having the space jockey be human, just furthered those ideas an added layers to the setting that wouldn't be present had you just referred to The Pilot as some lovecraftian space bug. It furthers the potential for horror. Also, seeing as how their tech is biomechanical, if you've ever seen the body of an animal that's rotting, it looks extremely similar and totally unrecognizable and bloated. Considering its fossilized, having its tech turn on itself and decompose, perhaps even consuming the pilot within it, is an explanation that works well enough as to why it looks so different, droopy and bloated.

I really think a ton of people are missing the point as to why the Engineer makes more sense in-universe than just using traditional science fiction and lovecraft-y tropes.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Feb 23, 2015, 09:39:11 PM
There are still Lovecraftian elements,
There aren't. There are some light plot similarities between Prometheus and At the Mountains of Madness -- and even those can be discussed -- but on a thematic level there's zero.

The idea of these foreign things that can't be understood, was an interesting idea at the time, but its been done to death.
And Vondanikean Ancient Astronauts haven't been used already?

Regardless of that, it was a core theme of the original film and idea. Prometheus made its diametrical opposite and displayed it proudly like it's some fresh, inspired shit -- it is not.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 23, 2015, 09:49:54 PM
There are still Lovecraftian elements,
There aren't. There are some light plot similarities between Prometheus and At the Mountains of Madness -- and even those can be discussed -- but on a thematic level there's zero.

The idea of these foreign things that can't be understood, was an interesting idea at the time, but its been done to death.
And Vondanikean Ancient Astronauts haven't been used already?

Regardless of that, it was a core theme of the original film and idea. Prometheus made its diametrical opposite and displayed it proudly like it's some fresh, inspired shit -- it is not.

You can't separate Alien from Lovecraft like you can't separate Lovecraft from Ancient Astronaut theory and a parody of occult science. The Pilot would have had those elements regardless, and for the most part Prometheus borrowed almost its entire plot from Dan O'Bannon's early drafts of Alien.

There are Lovecraftian leftovers from the realization of those early Alien drafts, but as you say, Lovecraftian tropes are mostly missing, and that's a good direction imo.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

In taking those traits, they were stripped of their meaning and their vibe. There's nothing left but an empty shell.

It's not a good direction at all for me. It's drab, unimaginative, and is thematically opposite to the original film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed