Aliens: Fireteam Elite Gets New Title, Box Art and Release Date!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 23, 2021, 06:01:40 AM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Gets New Title, Box Art and Release Date! (Read 19,017 times)

BlueMarsalis79

*Underperformed compared to Sega's unrealistic expectations.

Predatorium

Quote from: SiL on Jun 28, 2021, 12:44:41 PM
No mention of Alien Resurrection? It's basically exactly what you've described -- action, minimal Aliens that are all a nightmare to run into, desperation, etc.

Forgot about that one! It's great but I never finished it, it was too difficult! I enjoy Alien Trilogy aswell. The aliens aren't exactly smart there but the atmosphere is thick as hell, the aliens are hard to kill, they hide in the dark and your ammo is very limited.

It's funny when I say the movie experience and you take it so literally that you think I want to mimic every step of the characters? What I meant is to face what they face in the movie in a similiar setting under similiar circumstances. Can't believe I have to explain this. Alien Isolation did just that, it put you in a survival situation on a space station with confined spaces against an intelligent, deadly alien. The developers Creative Assembly said it was their goal and they succeeded.

Voodoo Magic

I love the passion here, but to me, this all feels rooted from a deep love for Alien Isolation and deep disappointment that we didn't get an Alien Isolation 2. But I do get that. :)

But reality is people like all different types of games, and as an owner of Isolation and someone who liked the game, at least for me, I for one would get tired of Alien games emulating this one type of gameplay in perpetuity.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 28, 2021, 01:40:12 PM
*Underperformed compared to Sega's unrealistic expectations.

Underperformed in regards to money spent. It's always about profit versus cost.. money earned versus money spent on budget, production, promotion, licensing fee dollars, etc. If Sega made money hand-over-fist with Isolation, they wouldn't have declare sales weak for the title to shareholders and they would have greenlit another console game quicker than fans could say Alien: Blackout. :)

Predatorium

Predatorium

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 28, 2021, 01:52:02 PM
I love the passion here, but to me, this all feels rooted from a deep love for Alien Isolation and deep disappointment that we didn't get an Alien Isolation 2. But I do get that. :)

I would've loved a more action oriented but in the same spirit of Alien Isolation, e.g the same spirit as the first two movies. Alien Isolation with a handful of Colonial Marines with limited ammo and resources against a bunch of aliens, yes please. It's slow paced, atmospheric and up close and personal. It didn't have to be Isolation 2. What it would offer is open exploration and that roller coaster ride of highs and lows that the movies offer. Not a constant onslaught of action.

QuoteBut reality is people like all different types of games, and as an owner of Isolation and someone who liked the game, at least for me, I for one would get tired of Alien games emulating this one type of gameplay in perpetuity.

But..it's an Aliens game? It's supposed to be about survival, it's supposed to be scary, thrilling, dark and claustrophobic. It's supposed to have an intelligent enemy that is extremely hard to kill that will instantly kill you or worse if it gets it hands on you. Alien doesn't fit in zombie horde mode shooter. As soon as the first alien gets close to you it's over. It's not supposed to be a harmless bug that slaps you a bit to take a little HP off your character's life bar.

Have you guys even watched the 25 minute IGN gameplay video? Are you fine with a bunch of aliens just stroking around your legs like cats while you are being attacked by a heavy alien enemy or not doing anything while you are healing your friend? It's just random headless chicken madness with no sense of fear.

BlueMarsalis79

I really mean it performed better than can be realistically expected for that genre and that intellectual property following Colonial Marines' reception.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Predatorium on Jun 28, 2021, 02:04:34 PM

But reality is people like all different types of games, and as an owner of Isolation and someone who liked the game, at least for me, I for one would get tired of Alien games emulating this one type of gameplay in perpetuity.

I would've loved a more action oriented but in the same spirit of Alien Isolation, e.g the same spirit as the first two movies. Alien Isolation with a handful of Colonial Marines with limited ammo and resources against a bunch of aliens, yes please. It's slow paced, atmospheric and up close and personal. It didn't have to be Isolation 2. What it would offer is open exploration and that roller coaster ride of highs and lows that the movies offer. Not a constant onslaught of action.

Have you guys even watched the 25 minute IGN gameplay video? Are you fine with a bunch of aliens just stroking around your legs like cats while you are being attacked by a heavy alien enemy or not doing anything while you are healing your friend? It's just random headless chicken madness with no sense of fear.

You're talking to a guy who thinks this is fun, so.... :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

seattle24

Quote from: Predatorium on Jun 28, 2021, 02:04:34 PM

I plan to increase the difficultly to maximum, turn on friendly fire, and dabble in these mutator challenge cards that the developers are backing with a great belief to alter the experience each and every time.

Yeah, sure, I hate the Aliens being mowed down like a bunch of crickets as much as the next fan, but what we've seen in the footage has clearly been established as easy-setting stuff. The walkthrough was with that IGN idiot after all, the same one that thought Alien Isolation was bang average.

Have some faith, this is looking bloody decent in my opinion. The locations and use of prequel material has me really excited.

Predatorium

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 28, 2021, 02:24:29 PM

You're talking to a guy who thinks this is fun, so.... :laugh:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/79/e6/c079e68307d3a476f0cc2be88865fe64.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/10662a46b949a2c9551ac2bc627f9e99/tumblr_oflvt6RMJa1qd4q8ao1_500.gifv

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/aa/7b/0d/aa7b0d59c54e25f4ee5c1ee01c47b22b.gif

:D Well, those were arcade games, made to make quick money in a machine. I didn't think we had to wait 7 years for an arcade game, but AFE looks to be one. And yes, people will have fun with it for a little while! Just like with those old arcade games. Line up!... I just expected more after all these years.

Hemi

Didn't Sega had a deal for a certain amount of Aliens games and Isolation was the last one?

And yes... most of the AFE hate comes from the Isolation fans. But they need to start seeing these things seperate.

I do feel AI2 is on the way though... something in the air dunno. It's really popular amongst gamers.

Voodoo Magic

Clickbait sites like We Got This Covered have pushed forward rumors of an Isolation sequel, but the mobile game Alien Blackout was its legitimate follow-up.

Unfortunately, when I remove my fan goggles and look at this logically, if the publisher is calling out the game's sales publicly as "weak", a sequel in the same vein seems very unrealistic. It's a public declaration that the revenue did not justify its AAA game budget.

Here are some more details:

Sega laments "weak" game sales even as hard numbers rise
Full-year unit sales up 41 per cent, Consumer revenue up 11 per cent, but Alien and Sonic failed to perform
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-11-sega-laments-weak-game-sales-even-as-hard-numbers-rise

SiL

Quote from: Predatorium on Jun 28, 2021, 01:48:25 PM
What I meant is to face what they face in the movie in a similiar setting under similiar circumstances.
My point by being so literal was to illustrate that wanting to copy the experience of watching the movies is a fairly meaningless preposition in itself.

Outside of faithfully copying the aesthetic, Isolation doesn't really even do this. It's very different to the movie in so many ways in terms of the setting and challenges faced.

AFE seems to be going for the panic and intensity of the Operations Firefight, but creating that panic in a video game friendly format.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Hemi on Jun 28, 2021, 03:12:18 PM

And yes... most of the AFE hate comes from the Isolation fans. But they need to start seeing these things seperate.

I'm a huge fan of Isolation and believe it's the best alien game to date. It's impacted me like no other game and captured my attention and praises like never before. Still, AFE is another game and should be looked as a separate style. Give the player options for dumb casual play and hardcore almost simulation like by tweaking the difficulty and simple parameters like health, speed and damage and that's all that's needed IMO. I can't wait for this game personally, I love the survival horror, but I also love the desperate horde modes. This seems like my perfect piece of action. The atmosphere is thick, dark, great lighting and I so want to get my hands on this game!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hemi on Jun 28, 2021, 03:12:18 PM
Didn't Sega had a deal for a certain amount of Aliens games and Isolation was the last one?

Correct. And then as I understand it, the people who made the deal didn't stay to see the actual games released, and the bosses who did weren't happy they even had the license.

Hemi

Well well... so Sega was also biased at the time. 

Sega really botched this up didn't they?

Can a A:I 2 game be made under the new flags? Or is it also a licence problem due to the Sega thing?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed