Two ALIEN TV Shows in the works (Rumour)

Started by Gazz, Feb 13, 2019, 11:17:16 PM

Author
Two ALIEN TV Shows in the works (Rumour) (Read 50,384 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, both are equally viable mediums.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Old OneDavid gets the wrong end of the stick, believes he's creating something original but in reality it is guiding him to almost supernaturally, resurrect the Alien from extinction.

This has been my thinking the entire time tbh, probably why I've always been so okay with covvie.

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 28, 2019, 03:41:15 PM
On a slight tangent:

Band of Brothers is coming back to TV in the UK and seeing the trailer for it today reminded me just how superb and cinematic TV can be these days.

It's good, but it's no Call of Duty, man  :D

Corporal Hicks

QuoteStar Trek is not the only iconic franchise Hawley has pushed to dabble with as a creator. In March 2019, it was reported that he had pitched FX on a miniseries set within the Alien universe. The Disney-Fox merger may have ended those hopes for now, but we're hoping for a potential return based on Hawley's angle in. Namely: it's about the people, not the xenomorphs.

"Alien is on some level the complete opposite of Stark Trek. It's sort of about humanity at its worst," he said. "There's this moment in the second film when Sigourney says, 'I don't know which species is worse. At least they don't screw each other over for a percentage.' If you look at what Aliens tends to be, it's usually a trapped story – trapped in a ship, trapped in a prison, etc. And because the Alien has this life cycle to it, where it goes from egg, to chestburster, to xenomorph, there becomes a certain routine to it."

He continued: "I thought it would be interesting if you could expand. If you're going to make something for television, you've got 10 hours let's say. Even if you have a lot of action, like two hours, then you're still going to have eight hours left. So what is the show about? That's what I tried to talk to them about. As I did with Legion, the exercise is: Let's take the superhero stuff out of the show and see if it's still a great show. What's the show about? Let's take the Alien out of the show. What's the show about? What are the themes, who are the characters and what is the human drama? Then we drop the aliens back in and we go, 'This is great. Not only is there great human drama, but there's aliens!'"

https://observer.com/2020/09/noah-hawley-star-trek-movie-details-alien-miniseries-pitch-fx/

Kane's other son

Damn, I wish they went with this -especially as it becomes more and more obvious that the franchise's future lies in streamers.

Immortan Jonesy

I read "I thought it would be interesting if you could expand"

I read "Let's take the Alien out of the show. What's the show about?"

I immediately think of

:laugh:

But you know what, I think this could be well done nicely. They just have to choose the elements we love as fans in order to make the journey enjoyable for everyone and not so esoteric like the prequels. Everything else is pure good execution.

🤓

Nightmare Asylum

I like Hawley. What I've seen of Fargo is excellent. Would have been curious to see this play out.

acrediblesource

I'd wonder how much of that expanded universe exists in Alien isolation. You can't tell me they would retool an existing universe and negate the game as canon?

Nightmare Asylum

Sure they would. Especially with the franchise shifting hands again.

Hell, they were even considering wiping out one third of the actual movies a few years ago.

D88M

The constant, forced, cringey musical numbers in Legion sucked, otherwise i liked the almost experimental vibe, but overall i dont trust this guy to make the franchise justice.

Xenomorphine

Ripley was referring more to executive types, not those around her. The films tended to show humanity when pushed to the brink, not at its worst.

El Pistolero

I think that is great Storytelling. At first make the basics right and create characters you care for.

Enjoy

Enjoy

All about the company crooks and the droids and space pirates and all that. HBO would be a better fit then FX.

Kradan

Great headline, Corporal

TC

"...And because the Alien has this life cycle to it, where it goes from egg, to chestburster, to xenomorph, there becomes a certain routine to it."

Translation: The beast is cooked.  :laugh:

He continued: "I thought it would be interesting if you could expand. If you're going to make something for television, you've got 10 hours let's say. Even if you have a lot of action, like two hours, then you're still going to have eight hours left. So what is the show about? That's what I tried to talk to them about. As I did with Legion, the exercise is: Let's take the superhero stuff out of the show and see if it's still a great show. What's the show about? Let's take the Alien out of the show. What's the show about? What are the themes, who are the characters and what is the human drama? Then we drop the aliens back in and we go, 'This is great. Not only is there great human drama, but there's aliens!'"

He's saying all the right things here. But nothing a good writer is unaware of.

"Let's take the Alien out of the show. What's the show about?"

In TV, 9 times out of 10, if you take the X out of the show, what the show is about, is family.

OK, a bit of exaggeration there, but it's true of Madam Secretary, it's true of Big Bang Theory, it's true of Agents of Shield. Even a police procedural like NCIS:LA - family.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's the way you tell it that counts. It would fit in with an Alien series too. After all, Aliens '86 was about motherhood. That's pretty close.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed