Danny McBride in talks for Covenant

Started by Gazz, Feb 11, 2016, 12:01:51 AM

Author
Danny McBride in talks for Covenant (Read 30,809 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: mace-in-the-face on Feb 17, 2016, 03:22:30 AMWho the hell remembers Paul Reiser? Aliens was like his one and only serious role.

Congrats on completely missing the point...

It was an example of a person known exclusively for comedy going serious and pulling it off. I could also have gone with Michael Keaton in Batman.

There's no reason to presume McBride couldn't do the same.

dallevalle

Well this is perfect he can play a burke type of character ( a real A-Hole)

So im very cool with this.

mace-in-the-face

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 17, 2016, 08:41:21 AM
Quote from: mace-in-the-face on Feb 17, 2016, 03:22:30 AMWho the hell remembers Paul Reiser? Aliens was like his one and only serious role.

Congrats on completely missing the point...

It was an example of a person known exclusively for comedy going serious and pulling it off. I could also have gone with Michael Keaton in Batman.

There's no reason to presume McBride couldn't do the same.

He didn't pull it off, he got killed.

426Buddy

He didn't pull it off, he got killed.

Again I think you're missing the point, him getting killed in the movie has nothing to do with his excellent performance as a company slime ball.

Reiser was known for comedy, he took a serious role in aliens and did a great job. It is an example of why McBride could do a good job in Covenant as well.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Reiser's Burke from Aliens was the ultimate depiction of a greedy eighties yuppie.  He literally killed it in that role.  What was frightening was how easily one could imagine meeting this guy for cocktails after work on Wall Street and then having him stab you in the back with no remorse.  He was the ultimate psycho in that film.  The character reminds me of Paul Bernardo, a vicious killer from Ontario, Canada.

What was particularly brilliantly executed by Burke was that as a complete sociopath, he did not see himself as evil.  He was completely internally oblivious to the terrible things he was doing because of his materialistic, greedy outlook.  We encounter people like this in real life, and until they cross that line, we tolerate them, and more often then not, we revere them as captains of industry.  It was such a great statement on humanity and played so well by Reiser.  He was the Perfect Organism that Ash spoke of when he said "no conscience, no delusions of morality".  Just a simple, low-life, animal, disguised as a human being.

NickisSmart

Complete sociopath is a bit much, but I think the performance was good. Nothing epic. He seemed out of his depth, kind of bumbling.

Danny's in a similar position to Paul, I think, but he loves movies (just watch Tropic Thunder to see what I mean). What we see of actors is just a facade or a mask, half the time. Sometimes it's real, sometimes it's the assumed director, sometimes it's the actor taking charge. I'm sure Danny, if he's eager to try something different, has a large knowledge of films to work with for inspiration.

Perfect-Organism

I loved Tropic Thunder.  That's like my Catcher in the Rye.

It's a bit frightening that you don't think Burke was a complete sociopath.  He has no guilt over sending 150 colonists to their death.  He's still thinking about being "set for life".  That's a sociopath.  What makes it even worse is just what Ripley said, "don't you have any idea what you've done here?".  He has no clue of what he did, because his brain is not wired to distinguish that sort of right from wrong.

Primordial

"This is so nuts. I mean, listen- Listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How- It's really sad. It's pathetic."

From Xenopedia : Burke was a textbook example of a sociopath; a consumate liar and emotional manipulator that lacked any conscience and human feeling save anger and fear. When his deceptions became clear to the survivors and Burke was cornered, he demonstrated the definitive sociopathic trait of employing mocking sarcasm to deflect responsibility from himself.

Infected

He can play a good Burke.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 21, 2016, 06:45:37 AMI loved Tropic Thunder.  That's like my Catcher in the Rye.

I really thought I'd hate Tropic Thunder because I'm not a Ben Stiller fan, but it was brilliant

"I'm gon' go potty. Wanna hold ma dick?"

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Paul Reiser played the perfect sociopath in aliens. The man made the aliens almost look like the nice guys for f**ks sake. :P

Ripley: You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f**king each other over for a goddamn percentage.

Astronoë

Quote from: Infected on Feb 21, 2016, 03:18:56 PM
He can play a good Burke.

I doubt that...more like a joke version of that character...

Perfect-Organism

The thing about Burke is that he has an outer veil of civility and politesse.  He comes across as a man of wealth and taste, but underneath that is the devil himself.  Now Danny McBride basically plays the same character in all his films, and he is an uncouth brute.  He is basically expected to be a bad guy on some level, whereas Paul Reiser is not.  One is capable of machinations and intrigue, while the other wears his crude intentions on his sleeve.  Both work well as villains but they are very different.

OpenMaw

Burke has the added layer of being clearly delusional and disconnected. There are several instances where he shows this. One of the earliest moments is when he hushes Ripley in her apartment. He's not providing a comforting gesture, he just doesn't want her making a scene. Because he's self-absorbed.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 23, 2016, 04:16:55 AMHe comes across as a man of wealth and taste, but underneath that is the devil himself.

I don't agree with that. Burke wasn't actively evil. He just didn't care about anything other than himself and his own personal profit. That just snowballed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed