Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 11, 2018, 02:32:37 PM

Author
Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions (Read 20,563 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Read it and it makes sense. Such a shame

Kailem

Seems like a good summation of what I've been piecing together over the past 24 hours after going back and reading through the leaked script breakdown thread and other spoilery things from before the movie's release, which I'd been staying far away from at the time. Definitely worth a look for others who were avoiding seeking out spoilers until they'd actually seen the film for themselves and are now wondering what sort of changes were made.

BigDaddyJohn

Read it but a few wrong infos in there, they should've checked their sources.

yautjapet

yautjapet

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 14, 2018, 02:57:34 PM
https://screenrant.com/predator-movie-reshoots-changes-shane-black-fox/

Not read yet.

As much as the cuts and reshoots inevitably messed with the movie's cohesion, it's not like it was full of stellar concepts to begin with and those darn studios ruined it. That leaked script was never good. Though I can buy that awful predator killer suit being something they forced in.

Russ840

Maybe the ideas seemed bad but we don't know how they would have come off. Everything I like about the movie is undoubtedly Black's input. I have faith that the original cut would have been much better.

bobcunk

Hopefully they release the alternate scenes. But they probably save it for a future release to milk a much money as they can.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 14, 2018, 02:57:34 PM
https://screenrant.com/predator-movie-reshoots-changes-shane-black-fox/

Not read yet.

I don't really look into the behind the scenes stuff from many movies, but The Predator have the biggest development mess I ever saw so far. And I'm not sure if those reshoots hadn't happened it would make things better for me.

Predators working with the US army wearing military pants that get killed mere minutes after being introduced, mutated predator hybrids with more limbs and tentacles, a kid using weaponized autism against predators. The hell Shane. This movie was doomed to have issues from the start. Between this crap and the ending we got, it's hard to decide which would be less worse.

They could just had done the Fugitive team up with humans to fight the Upgrade in place of the friendly preds and make up something less controversial at the ending. It's like the writers of Aliens vs. Predator: Deadliest of the Species were involved in this. So many nonsense. What's next? 20 foot tall predators? More Human-Predator hybrids? Why make create new types of predators? The original creature is already great on its own.

Wysps

Hey now  ;) Deadliest of the Species hate aside, I agree that some critics are putting quite a bit of emphasis on the damage of the reshoots, when in fact a lot of the issues preceded the filming and were built into the script itself. A lot of the script was a mess. Predators being introduced, only to be mere cannon fodder minutes later. The long "spring break" scene that went down in Florida. Plus, I'd argue that re-filming from day to night to make the film more "scary" may have not been necessary (much of Predators was filmed during the day - didn't seem to have a big impact either way). It's almost like they tried to compensate for the film's weaknesses by changing everything to night, thinking it would add to the suspense that was lacking in the script. I do think the movie was entertaining and critics may be over-zealous with their reviews, but blaming the faults of the film solely on the reshoots....I think it goes beyond that.

skull-splitter

As a whole, it is very much a Black and Dekker film, but largely a Dekker script with Black character dialogues.

To me, it had all the weaknesses of Monster Squad and little strengths of the Predator franchise entries.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 14, 2018, 02:57:34 PMhttps://screenrant.com/predator-movie-reshoots-changes-shane-black-fox/

Not read yet.

My immediate impression upon seeing the film was that far more than the final act had been fiddled with. This seems to confirm that.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

skull-splitter

Like in Justice League, you could almost see the cuts made by studio involvement...

So who made a bonus before it was sold to Fox and why is Jon Davis still running these films?

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah why are the reshoots so obvious to spot ? Did they rush the editing or what ? And why in the hell would they do that ? That's a suicidal move right there !

Bishop2

Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 17, 2018, 08:51:46 PM
Like in Justice League, you could almost see the cuts made by studio involvement...

So who made a bonus before it was sold to Fox and why is Jon Davis still running these films?

Honestly, I'd love to know where people think they can "see the cuts" and "see the reshoots" because I never seem capable of that magic.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 18, 2018, 06:07:07 PMHonestly, I'd love to know where people think they can "see the cuts" and "see the reshoots" because I never seem capable of that magic.

For me, it was less to do with spotting specific things that had obviously been added (with the exception of the final scene - the CGI in that was noticeably poorer than the rest of the film, suggesting it was added late) and more the fact the editing throughout was so obviously sloppy. I can't believe a director of Black's calibre and experience would have intended it to be that way, so it tells me the film was majorly reworked in post.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed