Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2019, 12:59:28 PM

Author
Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler (Read 88,909 times)

j0nesy

j0nesy

a review from the itunes store  :(

SiL

SiL

1. Hell of a troll.

2. Alien has always been an anti-capitalist, pro-feminist, pretty liberal series ???

Local Trouble

"Some of us are Christians, and are good, decent, smart people."

Perhaps that's true, but I don't think Redneck Survivalist speaks for them.

Is this novel really so impure?

The Cruentus

Quote from: SiL on Jun 01, 2020, 04:23:52 AM
1. Hell of a troll.

2. Alien has always been an anti-capitalist, pro-feminist, pretty liberal series ???

Not to mention the amount of lgbt characters they have, some of them are even protagonists in the franchise, such as in Cold Forge and Echo.

User was just a typical troll with nothing better to do.  Honestly that comment should really be removed because its quite inappropriate.

j0nesy

j0nesy

i reported it to apple; even without this person's ridiculous views, calling the alien: isolation adaptation "great" is enough to get a review removed  :P

razeak

razeak

I'm right wing and I thought Sigler did a great job on those issues. On several of those issues a certain character went back and forth a little. It's good writing. You can tell the authors stance, but he didn't cram it down anyone's throat either. It felt natural. Loved it. It's just a different point of view.

SM

SM

Not sure if snowflake or trolling as clichéd snowflake.

Immortan Jonesy

I dunno. In my short life I've met both: Christians who are inded decent and intelligent people, and those who would say exactly what can be read in that "review". Anyway it smells like trolling as others have already suggested. 

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 01, 2020, 05:15:25 AM
Is this novel really so impure?

Don't worry I will read it.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: j0nesy on Jun 01, 2020, 02:25:09 PM
i reported it to apple; even without this person's ridiculous views, calling the alien: isolation adaptation "great" is enough to get a review removed  :P

j0nesy

j0nesy

i really enjoyed phalanx, it's a 9/10 for me. i actually found it to be an easier read than the cold forge (which i also gave a 9/10), but for me, tcf gets the nod in terms of what it adds to alien lore

also, favorite creen line :laugh: :

426Buddy

426Buddy

About 200 pages in and I am completely enthralled. I have to make myself set it down.

Alien Isolation game, TCF,  and Phalanx all prove that the Alien is not "cooked" or lost it's effectiveness when in the right hands.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I absolutely loved this book. I agree with AP, a 10/10 for me. It actually surpassed CF as my favorite Alien novel.

I don't even know where to begin! The first act is so amazingly intense and frightening. The Aliens are given so much respect in this book it just warms my heart lol. The second act is thrilling and crazy, and the end is like a love letter to the EU and Alien fans and just a lot of fun. It stayed completely faithful to what I love about the franchise while presenting it in a completely fresh and different way.

Spoiler
Even in the big battles in the middle it never felt like the Aliens were less of a threat and I found the McGuffin to be so creative and interesting. I didn't think it was contrived but perhaps a little convenient. It was the only possible way they could have saved themselves and I found it interesting that they find this chemical that stops the acid and kills them in time. Never did it feel like the Aliens were made weaker for any other reason than the poison. In a lot of films like ST, in the beginning arachnids seem to be far more deadly than in the later battles.
[close]

It was paced perfectly and the world and story were just so damn interesting. Especially the early portion where you learn about the world and running.
Spoiler
I would have read a whole book just about Aiko the head runner surviving her 23 runs lol. :D
[close]

Spoiler
I somewhat predicted the revelations at the end and like how inspired it felt by Alchemy ( one of my favorite series.) The whole end in the hive/ship felt so perfectly at home with the EU. I loved the nod to Genocide with the warring hives, I loved the praetorians, and using the scientific names for the aliens from the EU and the nods to Cold Forge. I was all wonderful IMO.
[close]

There were a few lil nitpicks but it was more about trying to piece together the timeline of the planet.

Thank you Scott Sigler for giving us such great book and amazing Alien story.

I almost forgot to add that the characters were just fantastic. I couldn't believe that Mr. Sigler had me actually caring about 'Liyah, Brandun, and Creen within like 30 pages.  :D

Perfect-Organism

Damn!  You're going to make me buy this!   >:(

;)

426Buddy

426Buddy

I strongly recommend it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed