Colonial Marines as a Sub-Franchise

Started by Kurai, Aug 07, 2016, 01:38:27 AM

Author
Colonial Marines as a Sub-Franchise (Read 1,560 times)

Kurai

Kurai

I think it's often under appreciated as to just how interesting a job the Colonial Marines have, we see them so tightly bound by Aliens and AvP that we forget that they have a job to do that is Galactic in scale.

After Prometheus came out I penned a rough tale of a Colony falling into anarchy after a corrupt family uncovers a cache of Engineer weapons. Not knowing what was up, the USCM are sent in and the story followed one of them as they faced off against this corrupt family with highly advanced technology.

There are so many options for expanding the Alien universe through the Colonial Marines that don't have to be tied down by having to feature an acid blooded alien. Planets, technology, politics, other aliens and androids!

I truly believe Dark Horse could make a good comic series using the USCM as the backbone. What do you all think?

SpreadEagleBeagle

I'm ok with it as long as they don't introduce a bunch of new alien species and civilizations. They should simply stick to the stuff already mentioned in your post. They should keep it "realistic" and not go bonkers. Politics, corruption, money, lobbyism and technology getting out of hand sounds like the ingredients for a great show. Put that in a grungy space setting รก la ALIEN/ALIENS/A3 and it's a hit, especially if there is a hint that there is something more to it somewhere - subtle links to Engineer tech or the presence of the Alien, but never directly announced on the screen.

It could be a show with a great social commentary if handled right mirroring some of the issues we deal with today but translated into the political climate of a colonized space future. Militant separatist colonists, union strikes amongst space mineworkers and star freighter personnel, mega-corporation espionage, off-world terrorism, cyber warfare, space piracy, neo-religious fanatism, Earth riots, catastrophic environmental incidents caused by man, coverups etc.

It could be like the X-Files - it has one main storyline, but every other or third episode tells its own story. The main storyline would probably lead to something related to the Engineers or even the Alien.

PVTDukeMorrison

I sort of had this idea when thinking up a concept I'd love for an Aliens game, have the intro mission be what Colonial Marines are trained for, actual combat against armed individuals. It could be like an 80's version of a futuristic Hue City

windebieste

Doing nothing but shootin' awiems has gotten tired.  I'm sure the USCM wasn't set up just be called in for endless pest control duties.  I'd love to see their role amongst the Colony worlds as it should be.   

It's about time we had a political thriller in space that features the USCM.  Why not call in the USCM when a separatist colony no longer wants to bow down to WY mandates?  Such a great opportunity for exploration of many, many exciting ideas and themes right there.  Conflict and morality issues - essential ingredients for an engaging story.

Even a TV show featuring the USCM could potentially give the likes of 'Battlestar Galactica' and 'The Expanse' a run for their money.  They were/are television shows that brought us such engaging story lines and characters  with nary a single Alien in sight. I'd love to see the USCM appear in something like that.

I understand Thompson and Weddle's original 'ALIENS: Colonial Marines' story had enough content for a TV series.  Maybe Fox should have gone with that instead of a lackluster video game.

-Windebieste.

DUB1

DUB1

This could be an opportunity to show how Earth is like in the Alien franchise's future, so I wouldn't mind a CM spinoff. I'd like the main character to be a Vasquez-type gal. Hell, if it were a TV show, the first season(s) could be set before Aliens and actually feature Aliens characters like Vasquez herself.

Kimarhi

I'd could be interesting, continue the Vietnam in space theme.

The Tech Manual always bothered me though in mentioning the size of the CM.  We have more than 200,000 total Marines right now.  That far in the future, with that many colonies, there isn't anyway that 200,000 Marines could cover much of anything.

Even if each Marine has way more firepower than they would today, and even if computers replace the need for logistics Marines........still way to low a number.

Also, you'd need to upgrade their gear.  We are working on combat suits right now.  Its going to seem very outdated when 150 plus years from now that we don't have them.

Corporal Hicks

While there's a great deal of potential for a simply human based "sub-franchise", I still wouldn't be opposed to having them deal with some other intelligent extra-terrestrial. I'd be very happy to see either.

One of my many lingering ideas is that of a "virtual series" based around Colonial Marines. My pilot script would have opened with them dealing with insurrectionist terrorists. I can see that kind of political activity being a genuine concern and reality when large scale colonisation comes into effect.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 07, 2016, 05:16:10 PM
Also, you'd need to upgrade their gear.  We are working on combat suits right now.  Its going to seem very outdated when 150 plus years from now that we don't have them.

They just need to not go too overboard with any redesigned elements. As much as I love the phased plasma rifle, I'd like to see them maintain some sense of grounding.

Doctor Ash

In Aliens there was talk about the marines being involved before in "bug hunts'. Sounds like they fought alien creatures before...

windebieste

Except Frost has no idea what a 'xenomorph' is.  If this was a specially trained unit to 'deal with situations like this', as Gorman claims to Ripley earlier in the movie, then their training in such encounters sounds like it was minimal. 

In the context of the discussion during the briefing, the phrase 'bug hunt', could just as easily be replaced by 'wild goose chase'.  Hicks even asks for clarification.

Nope.  The military hs not encountered 'xenomorphs' previously.  No one has.  Not like these, anyway.  They've had basic training for the possible - but unlikely outcome - of encountering a hostile extraterrestrial force.

-Windebieste. 

Corporal Hicks

As winde says, I think they're purely asking if it's going to be a wild goose chase. That's not to say mankind hasn't encountered other species though - the Arcturian thing is still up for debate, though the books have them as being an alien species.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2016, 08:16:23 AM
While there's a great deal of potential for a simply human based "sub-franchise", I still wouldn't be opposed to having them deal with some other intelligent extra-terrestrial. I'd be very happy to see either.

One of my many lingering ideas is that of a "virtual series" based around Colonial Marines. My pilot script would have opened with them dealing with insurrectionist terrorists. I can see that kind of political activity being a genuine concern and reality when large scale colonisation comes into effect.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 07, 2016, 05:16:10 PM

They just need to not go too overboard with any redesigned elements. As much as I love the phased plasma rifle, I'd like to see them maintain some sense of grounding.

So much this!

If this sub-franchise is during Aliens era, then it can show other intelligent aliens. River of Pain mentions humans encountering hostile and friendly intelligent aliens and mentions Arcturian Trading Partners. So this would be an opportunity to flesh them out finally. Arcturians were humanity's first alien race that was encountered, so an episode could explain this first encounter and impact it had on man. It must've happened in the 2160's because Out of the Shadows makes no mention of intelligent races (it took place in 2159) beyond small simple life forms and bacteria.

We can even have an a film or episode set on Arcturus, showing human settlers mingle with the Arcturians and hint at an in dependence movement hence why Marines go over there to try and keep the humans in check. Because in Rage War, settlers on Arcturus are independent from the rest of humanity and have stayed independent for long enough to begin developing unique features (like how one can identify an Asian from a European etc)

Also those settlers went there because they didn't want to be part of the Human Sphere. So much can be explored, not just on the Colonial Marines, but humanity itself in general. That's my favourite bit about the Rage War, is because it goes out of that small setting the Alien and Predator movies are usually confined to, and literally explores Mankind as a whole.

BR1XER

BR1XER

Really liking the concept. The ALIENS universe was never fleshed out enough for my tastes. Just do it in a way that doesn't make it feel small. And perhaps hint subtly at future ALIEN/Prometheus installments.

Parademon

As a former actual combat Marine, I would like to see stories of the USCM going on a planet hopping campaign exterminating Alien hords that have infested a string of neighboring planets. That could be a few seasons worth of episodes if it were like a Netflix series. You can have an armada of ships deploying Colonial Marines & their heavy battles tanks & other types of futuristic type airborne assault crafts kinda like they did in the "Roughnecks" CGI series. Fighting other humans would get boring after a while as they  really would be no real match  for the firepower the USCM would be packing. And in a future were humans have expanded to other planets in the galaxy & have FTLS tech & worm holes to go thru, etc, there would have to be way more than just 200,000+ Marines to accomplish all the different missions they would be tasked with.

,I believe we have downsized all 4 branches since our deployments in Iraq & the Stan are almost null & void. So the corps right now is at 182,000 active duty Marines. Only less than 1/3rd of active duty Marines are actual combat Marines or as we love to be called "grunts". Rest of the corps consists of support assets. A Marine division  consist of about 20,000 Marines/Sailors.
An infantry battalion consists of roughly between 300- 800 Marines/Sailors aka corpsmen or Devil docs.
So 3 rifle companies & a weapons company, HQ & Headquaters & service or HS co = a Battalion

We also have additional supporting battalions such as a Tank Battalion, Arty battalion, combat engineer battalion. We also have elite units such as Scout Snipers/Recon Marines.

But when the nasty,dirty shit has to be done, it's the line company, aka Grunts, that have to engage with the enemy up close & personal.

In the Alien/Predator universe, I would imagine their would be a couple million active duty combat Marines.

Xenomrph

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 10, 2016, 11:41:57 AM
Except Frost has no idea what a 'xenomorph' is.  If this was a specially trained unit to 'deal with situations like this', as Gorman claims to Ripley earlier in the movie, then their training in such encounters sounds like it was minimal. 

In the context of the discussion during the briefing, the phrase 'bug hunt', could just as easily be replaced by 'wild goose chase'.  Hicks even asks for clarification.

Nope.  The military hs not encountered 'xenomorphs' previously.  No one has.  Not like these, anyway.  They've had basic training for the possible - but unlikely outcome - of encountering a hostile extraterrestrial force.

-Windebieste. 
The Sulaco Marines might not have encountered extraterrestrials personally (and I doubt even that), but it's clear that the USCM at large has. They have a term for them ("xenomorphs"), none of the Marines react with any sort of awe or wonder about encountering extraterrestrials for the first time in human history, and one of the Sulaco dropships literally has nose-art that says "we endanger species". The USCM hadn't encountered capital-A Aliens before, but it's obvious that they'd encountered extraterrestrial creatures before based on what's provided in the movie.

The USCM Tech Manual and the Aliens RPG just outright confirm it. :P

SM

SM

A 'bug hunt' in the context of Aliens is a literal hunt for bugs (ie. indigenous ET lifeforms).  It contrasts with a 'stand up fight' (eg. a terrorist or insurrectionist situation).

Still not sure how this 'wild goose chase' idea still perpetuates.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed