Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 70,877 times)

Perfect-Organism

I think that is more likely Roberto De La Torre's cover art.  It doesn't even look like a Tristan Jones piece.  Jones is doing the variants.

The Old One

The Old One

I can't wait to see those variants.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

That Juggernaut doorway has me going me hoping we get a scene where Zula and Ripley find some Engineer murals and have a moment where they release how big and unknowable the universe is.

Also, on a licensing note, the fact that this has been announced and that DH's Avatar comics are finally getting off the ground would seem to bode well for them keeping the license for a good while longer.

Perfect-Organism

Assuming Zula fires up Davis, I wonder how Amanda is going to enjoy his presence considering the fun times she shared with his kin back on Sevastopol.  You never said anything about an android being on board!  Why not?!

Xiggz456

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 29, 2018, 04:03:09 PM
I think that is more likely Roberto De La Torre's cover art.  It doesn't even look like a Tristan Jones piece.  Jones is doing the variants.

You're right I see it in the angularity of the faces, but It certainly looks like a Tristan Jones inspired piece with that beautiful red reflective color.

SM

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 29, 2018, 12:06:27 PM
Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2018, 06:52:16 AM
I don't have the graphic novel, but Isolation takes place on December 11 and the Europa sets course from Sol to LV-44-40 on December 14.

So page 82 goes like this:

Zula is reviewing messages on her internet machine.  One is from Amanda Ripley as follows:

Zula, I'm heading off Luna soon.  I'm on the Torrens, and it's sort of a crap assignment except that it'll take me to Sevastopol... maybe I can find something out about my Mom... anyway haven't seen you around for ages...  and no one will tell me what you've been up to.  I leave in a week, so come find me, ok?

Can be explained by saying they didn't see each other for some time prior to both their assignments, and Zula didn't check her messages before leaving.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 29, 2018, 11:38:48 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2018, 06:52:16 AM
I don't have the graphic novel, but Isolation takes place on December 11 and the Europa sets course from Sol to LV-44-40 on December 14.

Have any of these scripts crossed your desk?

I couldn't possibly comment.

Ultramorph

Artist Robert Carey has a Tumblr of you want to check out some of his art:
https://rcarey300.tumblr.com/

The Old One

The Old One

Gorgeous work.

D88M

D88M

Sounds and looks good, but i wish at some point at least for some story Dark Horse would stop with the 4 issues format, it makes most works seem rushed in the script aspect.

Perfect-Organism

6 issues seems right to me.

SM

SM

A stack of Aliens stories work perfectly well with four issues.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Oct 01, 2018, 12:17:34 AM
A stack of Aliens stories work perfectly well with four issues.
It almost feels like a lost art. As you said, there's a lot of great self-contained 4-issue stories from Dark Horse's back catalog (and not just 'Aliens', but other stuff like Star Wars and Terminator) but the modern stuff like each of the Fire & Stone arcs, Dead Orbit, or Predator: Hunters (5-issues, I know) just don't feel like they hit that pacing "sweet spot" of just about any of the 90s 4-issue series. It always feels like either not enough interesting stuff happens and the series could have been condensed down to 2-3 issues, or too much is going on and it should have been stretched out to 5-6.

Ultramorph

You have a point about the minis for the big crossovers, but things like Dead Orbit show that DH can still pull off a solid 4 issue story.

Xenomrph

I'm not saying Dead Orbit is bad (or at least not as rough as the F&S stuff) but it doesn't feel as perfectly dialed-in as the 90s stuff to me.

SM

SM

Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 01, 2018, 12:47:06 AM
You have a point about the minis for the big crossovers, but things like Dead Orbit show that DH can still pull off a solid 4 issue story.

Indeed.

Go back to even what DH were doing in 2009/10 - the four issue More Than Human worked much better than the six issue Three World War.

Mind you Xenogenesis was four issues too...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed