(FAUX) 'ALIEN Isolation' Bubblegum Cards.

Started by windebieste, Mar 30, 2016, 05:09:41 AM

Author
(FAUX) 'ALIEN Isolation' Bubblegum Cards. (Read 22,943 times)

windebieste

@ Le C.:  You want more?  Lucky you!  That's the plan.

@ C.Hicks: Oh, yeah.  It is a Great looking game; no doubt about it.  Not just that, but so much about it just worked and did exactly what it should.  I still mess around with it. 

OK it's time for the new draw.  At this point, your guess is as good as mine...  I'm hoping for a round of unique items.  Let's see wut happens, though.  Almost 20% of the pool has already been drawn so duplicates will be more common.  What surprises lay in store for us this time?  Let's find out... 

Draw No. 5

Numbers drawn: 93, 86, 64, 80, 39, 4.

Duplicate No.s(Frequency):  64(1)

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

Only one duplicate item this time.  Well, that's to be expected and the Space Jockey is welcome, I guess.  On the plus side, we get 4 cards featuring Stompy and one card, '2x, THE DANGER' with more than one Alien present.   Speaking of favourite cards, 'HIVE OF HORRORS', is the opposite for me.  This card is one of my least favourites.  The lighting is terrible and the composition is average at best.  I have other, better hive images but for some unknown reason, I chose to use this one... gah.

I really like 'FINAL ACT OF COWARDICE'.  It tells its own story.  A story of the survivors of Sevastopol confronted with the Alien.  Who stands their ground and fights it..?  Who runs and hides..?  Is there even a sense of 'Right' and 'Wrong' when confronted with this situation? 

Samuels makes his appearance in this Draw and this is the lowest numbered card to be drawn to date; and the only card from the first 10.  I think I made a grammatical error on this card with the positioning of the apostrophe.  I'm thinking it should be 'SAMUELS' SECRET'.  Oh well.  It happens.  At least it's nowhere near as bad as 'Bill Baxton' appearing on a professional published card; which looks like it may be the case with the new 'ALIEN Anthology' card set.  lol.  Do you think that error will be rectified? 

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

I love some of those last ones. Especially 2x the Danger and the Hive one. Really liking these!

As an aside, do you a larger copy of the original Hughes image  from card 19? I've been looking for a decent image of that guy and never been able to find one.

Corporal Hicks

Are there many hive based ones in the set?

windebieste

Flip a coin.  You decide.   :P

Where's that box gone?  C'mere, you... 

*Shake the box!  Shake! Shake! SHAKE the box!  Tumble the box... Shake the box some more. Lift the lid off the box...*  OK. It's time to pull half a dozen numbers outta this thing.

Draw No. 6

Numbers drawn: 56, 75, 45, 65, 17, 5.

Duplicate No.s(Frequency):  56(1)

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

One duplicate for this Draw: Marshal Waits this time.  Other than that, this is a cool selection of characters and environments.  Verlaine and Axel make an appearance here.  'TRAPPED WITH THE ALIEN' captures some contrasting colored lighting that makes it very engaging as an image.  That creepy egg chamber... There SHOULD BE AT LEAST ONE EGG already open when Marlow's team explore its cavernous depths... where is it?

-Windebieste.

Everlasting Undead

Love this project idea, it's an awesome call back to the collectors cards I used to get when I was a kid. Shame you can't give us all a stick of that really nasty hard and tasteless chewing gum that came with them.

With regards to the 'should be an open egg' - Just had a totally random thought. What if an egg, if left long enough, can actually close back up and generate a new face hugger? The eggs have roots, so you never know. Just one of those random thoughts.

Again, awesome idea... Hope there's a good shots of someone getting the "Inner Jaw" treatment. I like that.

windebieste

That's a really interesting exploration of the egg's ability to continually produce new facehuggers.  They do indeed have root-like tendrils at the base that may draw nutrition from the surface they are sitting on.  At least in the movie they do.  The eggs in the game lack those tendrils.  Instead, they are each sitting in what looks like a piles of cow dung with no tendrils.  Nonetheless, it's a very organic idea you propose and very much in keeping with the 'alienness' of the eggs.

There's a lot of anomalies regarding the planet, the derelict, the jockey and the egg chamber during Marlow's expedition to the source of the beacon that don't match the movie.  The landscape is different all the way up the entrance of the derelict.  The path from the entrance to the jockey's chamber has no point where Marlow's team must climb up in the the jockey chamber; which is much larger than we see in the movie containing many, many crates badged with 'Nostromo' prominently upon them scattered about.  The size and shape of the egg chamber.  That one egg not being open... there's a ton of details that conflict with the movie.

I really don't have a problem with any of this.  We are playing this sequence through a flashback and Marlow's memory may not have recorded every detail with 100% accuracy.  We are essentially re-experiencing the event via his recollection and it's the major events during the activity that he remembers most accurately.  Otherwise, I can accept we are experiencing a recollection that's been distorted by the excitement and anticipation influenced by how potentially valuable the derelict re-discovery meant to him and his crew - and ultimately how distressing it eventually becomes.  He may not even remember bringing Foster back to the the Anesidora and the return journey at all.

As far as the stick of gum goes...  I have a box of 1979 Topps 'ALIEN' bubblegum cards.  Every pack in the box is still sealed and contains all the cards still in original wrappers and a stick of gum inside each.  36 year old bubblegum.  ooooh.  YUMMO!   :laugh:

Anyway, on with the next Draw.  Let's see what emerges this time...

Draw No. 7

Numbers drawn:  7, 16,  55, 11, 45, 57.

Duplicate No.s(Frequency):  45(1)

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

Another excellent selection of characters.  We get Nina, Axel and Amanda, The Creature, Samuels and Verlaine along with a selection of survivors in the Marshal's station.  Nina is represented in the single duplicate this time around. 

-Windebieste.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Everlasting Undead on Apr 10, 2016, 07:14:08 AM
With regards to the 'should be an open egg' - Just had a totally random thought. What if an egg, if left long enough, can actually close back up and generate a new face hugger? The eggs have roots, so you never know. Just one of those random thoughts.

Interesting theory, but the presence of many open (and 'dry') eggs in 'Aliens' would seem to rule that idea out. Only the mutant DNA from the fourth film had eggs which closed up.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 14, 2016, 02:01:38 PMOnly the mutant DNA from the fourth film had eggs which closed up.

They do? I don't remember that?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The grenade scene IIRC.

3:03

HuDaFuK

Ah right. I never put to much credence into that. Just a hungry egg :)

Le Celticant

"Trapped with the Alien" has very interesting lightning!

"Final act of cowardice" perfectly captured what I thought was a "feminine" vibe for the Alien that looks like it's wearing high heels. I always loved that weird side of the very skinny creature giving it a bizarre atmosphere both in terms of look and movement.

Just a question, how many times did you die to take these? :D

windebieste

There's a lot of anomalies present in the design of the entire 'revisit the derelict' in the flashback sequence.  I just attribute them as unimportant details that Marlow's recollection has distorted because they weren't important to him. 

The in game images were captured using Cheat Engine.  Cheat engine is cool, even if it is cumbersome, messy and ugly to use.  If you want to try it, you will also need a Cheat Table to configure the software for that specific game.  In this case, an 'ALIEN Isolation' cheat table will be required.  So no.  Not as many deaths as you may think.  Plenty of quitting and restarting the game again simply because Cheat Engine is the roughest and most ungainly piece of software to use you can imagine. 

On with the next Draw:

Draw No.8

Numbers drawn: 21, 39, 97, 1, 87, 66.

Duplicate No.s(Frequency):  39(1)

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

No specific in game character shots and no shots of the the Alien in this Draw.  Just a mixed bag of situations, and of course, we also get 'CHECKLIST No.1' and the 'TITLE CARD'  that bookend the entire set.  These 2 cards were drawn back to back.  I was wondering when any of these cards would turn up... I certainly didn't expect it to happen this way. 

39 unique cards (39% of the set) have now been drawn.  I expect a lot more duplicate items to appear.

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

Neat that you've done some checklist cards!

Corporal Hicks

I love that you have done checklists too! I love the lengths you've gone to to make this feel so authentic.

windebieste

windebieste

I was very conscious about emulating the presentation and ambience of these things when I assembled the set.  Originally, I wanted to do 84 cards as this was the number in the original Topps 'ALIEN' cards set.  I decided to go for the full 100 for several reasons.  Firstly, they were fun to make and it was easy to make another 16 of them.  I also wanted to have the Checklist as part of the set.  I also figured out very quickly I would need more than just 2 cards to achieve this. 

I must admit, in my younger years (about 40 years ago now... lol) when bubblegum cards were a big thing in my life, I was always disappointed when a Checklist card appeared in a packet.  They tended to have no image on them and both sides were printed with information I was going to figure out, anyway.  It wasn't until later that I realised that these cards worked great as teasers and helped to fill in gaps in a set. 

So yes, had to have the Checklist cards appear at the end of the set for the sake of 'authenticity'. 

On the other hand I always loved Title cards.  The first card in any collectible or trading card set should be a title card (Not so sure about CCG sets, though).  Card No.1 in the original 1979 Topps 'ALIEN' set is 'THE NOSTROMO' which depicts the vehicle detached from the refinery.  It's a great image, but as the very first card it feels a little like walking into a movie and missing the title sequence or a book with no cover.  Title cards are great.  They add a much needed starting point.  The image for the Title card for this faux set was an easy choice.

Anyway, onto the next Draw:

Draw No. 9

Numbers drawn: 36, 62, 45, 8, 1, 34.

Duplicate No.s(Frequency):  45(2), 1(1).

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

A good mix of scenes, situations and characters.  We get our first triplicated card from the set, No.45.  Looks like this might end up being that one card, you know the one?  The one you end up with at least half a dozen copies of... it always happens. 

Dr. Kuhlman always looks like he needs a good night sleep.  Little does he realise he's just minutes away from one serious wake up call.

We also get a duplicate of the Title card.  If this had been a real set of cards, this particular duplicate would end up being used as a bookmark in whatever I was reading at the time.  Back in the day, that would have been Burroughs, Aldiss, Verne, Wells, Wyndham, Van Vogt, Simak, Dick or Doyle.  Today, it would be used as a page marker in Sapkowski, or Lovecraft.  (I bought a copy of 'The Shadow out of Time - The Corrected Text' recently and enjoyed it immensely.)

To this day, I still like to use duplicate cards as bookmarks.  Right now, I'm using card No.33 - 'MONOLOPHOSAURUS' from the recent 'Ancient Animals' card set as a bookmark.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed