The feds

Started by Accaris, Oct 25, 2007, 05:31:11 PM

Author
The feds (Read 1,085 times)

Accaris

Accaris

The Interstellar Commerce Commission and the Colonial Administration.

Are these two separate agencies, or is one under the jurisdiction of the other? Which has more power, you think? (I'm guessing the ICC, since they probably hold the purse strings.)

What government are these agencies under, the United States? Or is it an international collaboration?

nick3309

nick3309

What The Hell Does This Have to Do With Aliens Or Predator? ???

Accaris

Accaris

Quote from: nick3309 on Oct 25, 2007, 07:57:54 PM
What The Hell Does This Have to Do With Aliens Or Predator? ???

"Discuss anything A/P related, expanded universe etc."

This topic is related to the Alien franchise. I guess it could go in the film forum, but it has to do with AVP universe as well.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

I still think it more properly fits in the Alien section. Even if the AVP movies lay the groundwork for them, these institutions only exist further down the track.

As regards the question, I would think that Colonial Administration is a sub-division of Weyland-Yutani; an administration concerned with managing its various colonies, such as Hadley's Hope.

From what Ripley says about the ICC in Aliens, it seems to be an entirely separate entity, essentially the same as the various corporate watch-dogs we have currently. Their function would be to monitor all the various corporations in respect to ratified interstellar law.

That said, in terms of who has the greatest power, it really depends. If I'm right, the ICC would theoretically be more powerful than the corporations in monitors, simply because it has the power to hold them to the standards of the law. Of course that would depend largely on the transparency of the corporations it is there to monitor, and the autonomy of the ICC itself. In terms of wealth and sheer amount of resources I doubt that the ICC comes even close to approximating what WY has at its disposal. As such their ability to side-step the ICC would be considerable, either through corrupting the ICC or simply overwhelming their very likely scarce resources.

The fact that WY can afford defense contracts under a government military gives you some idea of their power. It would be like Murdoch hiring the US army as his own personal security agency.

maledoro

maledoro

SM sums it up nicely in his Alien Encyclopedia:
QuoteEXTRASOLAR COLONISATION ADMINISTRATION One of the departments dealing with the administration side of the colonisation of other planets. It was involved in a joint partnership with WEYLAND YUTANI in the terraforming and colonisation of ACHERON. Also known as COLONIAL ADMINISTRATION, ECA.

INTERSTELLAR COMMERCE COMMISSION Usually referred to as the ICC, this was the primary body dealing with commerce throughout the systems colonised by EARTH in the 22nd century. All crewmembers of transport and cargo starships required an ICC licence. All trade starships going to EARTH could be ordered to go through ICC quarantine. BURKE aimed to smuggle the FACEHUGGERs from ACHERON through on the SULACO, which was a military starship.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed