What Could Be Considered the "Standard" Alien Design?

Started by AcidForBlood, Jun 18, 2012, 09:12:14 PM

What is the Standard Alien Design In Your Opinion?

"Alien"
"Aliens"
"Alien: Resurrection"
"AVP"
"AVP:R"
Author
What Could Be Considered the "Standard" Alien Design? (Read 11,703 times)

Alien³

Kane's son, hands down

Aceburster

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 24, 2012, 12:16:01 PM
Quote from: Aceburster on Jun 20, 2012, 09:43:02 PM

For me Aliens is standard, its just been used more.

In a perfect world Id rather see this without eyesockets.

So ... Aliens then?

Love this guy

Spoiler
[close]

And this one too

Spoiler
[close]

Sorta I guess. The Aliens head is ridged but its a little simplified tho, the jaw is a bit different too. But the Cameron Alien doesnt have the contrasting meat on bone detail at all, its all one color.

Gigers is way taller and lankier, the detail on the Giger Alien beats it hands down, I like the original feet compared to the Cameron Aliens, I dont like the arm blades at all, and prefer the original tail too. If they crossbred the hand style of the original with the length of the Cameron Aliens fingers for a bit more length and creepiness then it would be nice.

Personally the original for the most part and only a tweak to the head which was always under there. For generalizing yea, Camerons Alien because of the head ect.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Aceburster on Jun 24, 2012, 11:34:24 PM

Gigers is way taller and lankier,

Actually its the other way around. Winston's "hero" alien (animatronic puppets) is taller and much slimmer than Giger's "hero" alien (Badejo) - http://www.jamescamerononline.com/AlienWarrior.htm

Quotethe detail on the Giger Alien beats it hands down,

But Winston aliens have actually every single piece of Gigers design on them, its just that the material is different/simplified

QuoteI like the original feet compared to the Cameron Aliens

Same

QuoteI dont like the arm blades at all, and prefer the original tail too.

Some had longer ones, which worked for the great silhouettes shots, some had the same length blades as Gigers

QuoteIf they crossbred the hand style of the original with the length of the Cameron Aliens fingers for a bit more length and creepiness then it would be nice.

The hands actually I like much more from Winston. I agree with his statement that the shape and look of the original was too glove-like. Its all opinion of course

QuotePersonally the original for the most part and only a tweak to the head which was always under there. For generalizing yea, Camerons Alien because of the head ect.

I love what Giger had done underneath the dome so I enjoy it when those designs are exposed in Aliens. BUT, I do also love the smooth, creepy dome

Aceburster

The animatronic stuff is one thing but the practical suits are what im basing the differences on.

It probably came down to needing something quick and tough for action shots and stunts but that stubby simple look is... ouch.

The animatronics in all of the movies are amazing to me in their details, regardless of design.

SM

That 'simple stubby look' isn't evident in the film so it doesn't make much difference.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jun 25, 2012, 12:19:25 AM
That 'simple stubby look' isn't evident in the film so it doesn't make much difference.

Right. You see them as something like this

Plus, if you wanna discard animatronics as the main aliens then discard Badejo from alien as well. After all he only played in two scenes, the rest was done by people same size of the guys from aliens. Hell, even same exact people like Eddie Powell who played the alien in the Brett and Dallas scene and was one of the aliens in Aliens as well

Aceburster

Aceburster

I can tell with the one that jumps on Dietrich, the practical ones in the ceiling, the jumpers during the last stand, the one that drake shoots and the sentry gun victims. It may just be that ive seen them too much, but for as long as i can remember I thought they were short and stubby.

Edit: and yea the Alien is a composite depending on scene, the quality of the original, practical or otherwise is much better than in Aliens. Its still my favorite move so do I care not really. Just pointing it out.  :laugh:

SM

The one Drake shoots is barely visible behind flames and is on screen for less than a second...  ???

StrangeShape

Quote from: Aceburster on Jun 25, 2012, 12:26:57 AM
I can tell with the one that jumps on Dietrich, the practical ones in the ceiling, the jumpers during the last stand, the one that drake shoots and the sentry gun victims. It may just be that ive seen them too much, but for as long as i can remember I thought they were short and stubby.

Well they werent. Judging by pictures , they were about the size of Cameron who is 6'2. And again, its the same guy who was Alien in Brett and Dallas scenes. And we dont actually see them in relation to a human, not the stunt people, only puppets. Same principle as in the first movie - for revealing sshots and shots that showed the size, a hero alien was used. Bolaji in Alien for Lambert and Narcissus interior scenes, and puppets in Aliens, many, many times.

That selectivism that you do can be applied to the first movie as well, where you can say that the same "chubby and small" guy looks terrible. After all, same guy had probably as much screentime as alien in Alien as Bolaji

Aceburster

Quote from: SM on Jun 25, 2012, 12:31:42 AM
The one Drake shoots is barely visible behind flames and is on screen for less than a second...  ???

Do you dislike my attention to detail?

SM

No, just your odd selection of data to support your argument.

StrangeShape

And of course, I use the term chubby sarcastically cause none of those people were out of shape. They were dancers and gymnasts in top notch shape naturally. I just simply dont like those false legends like "warrior is a complete redesign from scratch, aliens in Aliens were fat midgets, original alien had nothing to do with insects and Kanes son was actually a space Jack the Ripper" etc

Aceburster

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 25, 2012, 12:38:27 AM
And of course, I use the term chubby sarcastically cause none of those people were out of shape. They were dancers and gymnasts in top notch shape naturally. I just simply dont like those false legends like "warrior is a complete redesign from scratch, aliens in Aliens were fat midgets, original alien had nothing to do with insects and Kanes son was actually a space Jack the Ripper" etc

Oh I hear ya, its like the "acid spittting" myth lol. I cant say that the Aliens were out of shape, just effectively 2 feet shorter than how the first one was portrayed. Predators suffer some of the same problems, some of it is how scenes were shot, who was in the suit, how much of it was revealed in frame. Really its the detailing of the suit that sticks out to me as well as how deeply seated the head is into the neck, length of the legs compared to the torso.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Aceburster on Jun 25, 2012, 12:53:06 AM

Oh I hear ya, its like the "acid spittting" myth lol. I cant say that the Aliens were out of shape, just effectively 2 feet shorter than how the first one was portrayed.

Cant say I agree with that. In both movies in scenes where theyre next to people, everyone looks up very high

SM

There's an "acid spitting myth"?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed