What Could Be Considered the "Standard" Alien Design?

Started by AcidForBlood, Jun 18, 2012, 09:12:14 PM

What is the Standard Alien Design In Your Opinion?

"Alien"
"Aliens"
"Alien: Resurrection"
"AVP"
"AVP:R"
Author
What Could Be Considered the "Standard" Alien Design? (Read 11,701 times)

AcidForBlood

The designs in all 4 alien (and avp movies) have all varied. I was just wondering what everyone agrees is the basic design of the alien... if there is one. Or maybe WHY there are design differences (e.g. surroundings, just the way the aliens are). I've always wondered what people think of when they think of a xenomorph.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Designs from the first two films are what I think fo when I talk about the Alien.

As far as design differences go, I'd divide them in types.

Alien -- type A
Aliens -- type A, possibly type B
Alien3 -- Same as Aliens
Alien Resurrection -- Mutated type A/B
Alien Vs. Predator -- type C
AvPR -- type C, possibly deformed

AcidForBlood

Yeah, I always think of the translucent head and the spiny tail such as the one in Rez. Although in Rez the aliens' mouth were able to move from side to side... kind of weird for me.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Well the real life reasons are that in Aliens they tried to slightly move away from a man of the suit look, thus redoing hands and using puppets, and found the head designs interesting, thus removing dome. From then on its pretty much different designers trying to put their stamps on the creature, kinda like doing a cover of a song

Here are torsos and body designs of all the aliens, click to enlarge

Comic books as well had many different variants, except for some artists who faithfully recreated designs from certain movies. I guess the only standard for alien design is that it has a long head, ribcage , no eyes and double mouth.

ShadowPred

I just think of Cameron's Aliens. They are pretty much what everyone else draws in comic books. When it comes to video games they are the most used as well, and I don't doubt that any other medium would use Cameron's design most of the time.

AcidForBlood

Thanks for the pics strange shape. And yeah it seems that Cameron's aliens are used an awful lot in most other media.

episodenone

well - since they are shaped by the host as much as anything else -- and they arent clones -- um, they just look different.

Nightmare Asylum

To me, when I think of the Alien, I always think of the one in the first movie. Its the scariest and best looking (in my opinion, of course), and while the Aliens variant may be the one used in most media, the design from Alien is the original; without it, we wouldn't have had any of the other designs (the good ones or the bad ones).

StrangeShape

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 20, 2012, 03:39:54 AM
To me, when I think of the Alien, I always think of the one in the first movie.

Me too, but I think today the general audience thinks of ADI design with the pointy head. hell, even the Deacon has a lot in common with ADI aliens rather than Giger/Winston aliens

Nightmare Asylum

I'm not going to lie, I really have no problem at all with the Aliens from AR and AVP. I mean, they have nothing on the original, but they don't look bad at all. And in the case of AR, I'm fine thinking of the differences in looks/actions as being side effects of the cloning process.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 20, 2012, 03:51:03 AM
I'm not going to lie, I really have no problem at all with the Aliens from AR and AVP. I mean, they have nothing on the original, but they don't look bad at all. And in the case of AR, I'm fine thinking of the differences in looks/actions as being side effects of the cloning process.

Well, I hate them with passion for taking out ALL the biomechanicality and the sexuality out of the design, but lets not dwell into it

SM

You mean like how they started taking it out with the very Alien depicted in your avatar...

What are you gunna do?

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2012, 04:21:55 AM
You mean like how they started taking it out with the very Alien depicted in your avatar...

What are you gunna do?

It was just the neck with the runner. The body had a nice Gigerish designs

SM

The more upswept ribs, more organic mouth and lack of dorsal tubes all detracted from the mechanical part of biomechanical.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2012, 04:57:12 AM
The more upswept ribs, more organic mouth and lack of dorsal tubes all detracted from the mechanical part of biomechanical.

Ok yeah, but the lips added to the sexuality of the creature and the head was still of a phallic shape. And again, they compensated for lack of mechanical aspect on the body with Gigerish texture

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed