ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 387,125 times)

felix

Bottom line. Considering how much this costs would you recommend spending the cost getting it?

I like the pics, but i wonder how good a long term investment this will be.

predxeno

predxeno

That depends how big an Alien fan you are, if you are a hardcore follower then there's no question whether or not this book is worth its price (the information inside is invaluable, never mind the beautiful illustrations); however what with the new canon that's coming out, many fans may want to reconsider purchasing and wait for a more updated version. :-\

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 06, 2016, 11:50:39 PM
That depends how big an Alien fan you are, if you are a hardcore follower then there's no question whether or not this book is worth its price (the information inside is invaluable, never mind the beautiful illustrations); however what with the new canon that's coming out, many fans may want to reconsider purchasing and wait for a more updated version. :-\

Are we certain that there are going to be updated versions?

I mean... as far as handbooks go, I wouldn't even really purchase them. Look how many times Marvel's made guide books and almost all of them are now irrelevant. Same thing with Star Wars since the EU reboot. I'm an Alien fan (more so Predator but...) yet, I don't think I'll go out of my way to get either version. Especially with Blomkamp's movie believed to re-assign Alien 3 and Resurrection.

predxeno

I was being theoretical, actually, when I was talking about updated versions.  Sorry. :(

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 06, 2016, 11:58:18 PM
I was being theoretical, actually, when I was talking about updated versions.  Sorry. :(

Why are you apologizing? There's nothing to be sorry for.

Personally... as much as I am a fan, I don't think I'll be getting this. Handbooks just... I don't know, seem kind of pointless, especially for a continuity that's going to be migrated or re-assigned.

predxeno

Yeah, if canons are going to get reassigned then that is a pretty big deterrent.

SM

Current and future projects are based on the timeline as it stands in the WYR.  Neill Blomkamp's film is still on hold and likely to be so for at least 18 months.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: felix on Jan 06, 2016, 10:02:44 PM
Bottom line. Considering how much this costs would you recommend spending the cost getting it?

I like the pics, but i wonder how good a long term investment this will be.

For £30 I'd recommend in a heartbeat! The Collector's Edition is lovely but really depends on your own finances.

however what with the new canon that's coming out, many fans may want to reconsider purchasing and wait for a more updated version. :-\

Not at all. A) We don't know exactly how Alien 5/3.2 will effect the timeline/canon (which I'm starting to think is quite a pointless thing anyway) and B) the film wont be out for another 3/4 years at the least.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 06, 2016, 11:50:39 PMhowever what with the new canon that's coming out, many fans may want to reconsider purchasing and wait for a more updated version. :-\

What Hicks said.

Plus, who cares if the book is overwritten one day? Surely you'd be buying it because it's a gorgeous book and wouldn't care if one day something it says isn't 100% accurate? And It'd still be an accurate tie-in to the existing four films anyway.

felix

I guess that puts me on the fence. If it costs me more $70 bucks here in Singapore, i probably won't get it.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 07, 2016, 08:40:49 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Jan 06, 2016, 11:50:39 PMhowever what with the new canon that's coming out, many fans may want to reconsider purchasing and wait for a more updated version. :-\

What Hicks said.

Plus, who cares if the book is overwritten one day? Surely you'd be buying it because it's a gorgeous book and wouldn't care if one day something it says isn't 100% accurate? And It'd still be an accurate tie-in to the existing four films anyway.

Exactly.  If the future films negate current films 3 and 4 and the book gets revised without the film 3 and 4 entries, then this is the only proper technical reference you will have for those films.  And if future books feature alternate entries combined, then the book will be more expensive.  I would seriously try to save a few dollars and pick this up when it hits shelves in September.  You can't lose.  Looks like an awesome volume...

Corporal Hicks

SM

Quote from: felix on Jan 08, 2016, 02:50:02 PM

I guess that puts me on the fence. If it costs me more $70 bucks here in Singapore, i probably won't get it.

I'd be surprised if it was more than $70 in somewhere like Kinokuniya. Popular sure isn't going to stock it.
And if it does got for $70+, you can order online from The Book Depository, which is cheaper than retail about 99% of the time.

felix

I'll probably order through the Bookweb at Kinokuniya. Hopefully they'll be a discount and i can get the price below $70.

P.S - I thought i was the only Singaporean here!

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 07, 2016, 12:28:35 AM
Yeah, if canons are going to get reassigned then that is a pretty big deterrent.

If canons get reassigned, would you also stop buying any copy of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection as well?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed