"...all Aliens please procede..."

Started by War Wager, Nov 10, 2009, 11:40:37 PM

Author
"...all Aliens please procede..." (Read 3,803 times)

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2009, 11:57:16 PM
Yeah it probably is.

We've seen nothing in the films to indicate they can comprehend English.  The Queen on the Sulaco heard Ripley as an animal would.  The Newborn however understood that when Ripley told it to put Call down, she meant "Don't harm her".

The human DNA might have something to do with that.

SM

SM

Which was my point.

Chris!(($$))!

If you scream at someone they might not understand what you are saying but they will probably get that somethings set you off.

Jango1201

The alien can most likely just sense stress tones and pitches in ones voice. When Dillon was screaming at Morse it most likely sensed witch was the greater threat.

Space Voyager

Just like to say that not even humans, with our completely human DNA, can not understand any human language whatsoever at birth. None. So to assume the Newborn had somehow had English integrated into him is utterly ridiculous.

keylight-di

Quote from: Space Voyager on Dec 07, 2009, 08:20:43 AM
Just like to say that not even humans, with our completely human DNA, can not understand any human language whatsoever at birth. None. So to assume the Newborn had somehow had English integrated into him is utterly ridiculous.
Not exactly. Ripley has got this same language capability. Aliens are aliens, no matter what to thinking about it...  ;) They ever have some kind of genetic memory.
I don't think they could understand all message, but its general meaning.

chupacabras acheronsis

i would assume they can interpretate basic voice tone and pitch as a form of communication.

if it means the same to them that it does to us, i doubt it(even though they have proven to learn extremely fast).

just think of a dog mimicking human vocalization:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCYaw5tGYAs

it is simple association between a sound and an action, they could "learn" english afterall.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Animals understand tone of voice very well - when I was caring for my parents' dog for a week, I did an experiment where the only word I said to it for the entire week was "dog", in different tones of voices to indicate "dinner-time", or "time to go for a walk", or "time to go outside and go to the bathroom", etc. Praise, scolding, etc, I did all of it using only the word "dog".

Weasel

Weasel

I think "Capture, Ensnare, Capture, Ensnare." is more hard wired into them than attempting to understand language. Especially in the short amount of time the aliens are alive in most of these films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed