In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 33,859 times)

Aliens1986fanboy

I personally think it did Alien 3 did NOT need to be made enough said

SM

The franchise is still around, so obviously it didn't kill it.

Didn't do it any favours though.

ExpressElevatorToHell

Resurrection hurt the franchise more, but as SM said, it's still around today so no movie killed the franchise, they we just not as good as the first 2.

Schaefer

As a kid i was a huge Aliens fan, Mariens,Weapons bumm bumm ahhh kaboom.
Nowdays at almost 40 i look back and think Alien3 was the best for the franchise.
When i rewatch aliens i now only see cheesy 80 stuff and think killing the aliens charakters off was the best move they could do.
I have to say that for me personally the whole extended universe stuff that mostly originates from aliens is just awful.
And yes Resurrection is the one that almost killed the franchise.

dave1978

Alien 3 was brilliant,  especially compared to the 3 turds after it

razeak

A:R did the most damage of the first 4.

A3 hurt somewhat. I think it redeemed itself with the Assembly Cut, but how many people in the general.audience have seen that?

SM

I would imagine very few have seen the longer, slower, more redundant cut that doesn't fix any of the theatrical versions problems (TM).

Elmazalman

ALIEN & ALIENS was more than enough. Ripley got the happy ending she deserved. It should have been left at that.

windebieste

'ALIEN' didn't need a sequel.

If Cameron hadn't been brought on board as a director, his 'Mother' script would have been made into a different property launching movie, the first of many. 

As for killing of the series.  No.  'ALIEN 3' did not kill it off.  'ALIEN Resurrection' followed, so there's that.  The series kind of diverted with the 2 'AvP' movies and it is now healthy again.  'PROMETHEUS' and 'ALIEN Covenant' are much better movies than some people would have you believe. 

Oh, sure.  The precious fanboi Blomkamp retcon got canned.  Too bad; but that was a good move to lose that.  Nonetheless the whole "I don't like the new movies." attitude is a failure to manage expectations more than anything else - and is not the fault of the movies themselves.

The series is healthy now as it ever was.  There's a ton of licenced content in every form.  It's only been 2 years since 'Covenant' was released.  We'll get another movie sometime.

So no.  'ALIEN 3' did not kill the franchise. lol.

What needs to die is the whole precocious attitude that only the first 2 movies matter.  That's a poor state of play we must get around and put aside.  It's just a form of fan bigotry.  You don't see fans of movies post 1986 'ALIEN/S' movies pointing the finger at the first two movies and getting away with "they suck!" 

This attitude has to change. 

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Some things never change.

razeak

Quote from: SM on Aug 29, 2019, 09:25:09 PM
I would imagine very few have seen the longer, slower, more redundant cut that doesn't fix any of the theatrical versions problems (TM).

Meh I haven't seen the theatrical in about 15 years so I can't even directly compare. I just remember thinking the assembly cut was better and I've stuck with it.

Huggs

If anything could've killed the franchise, it would've been Alien Resurrection.

Alien 3: AC is solid.

Rankles75

It didn't kill it, but it did irreparably damage it imo. Quite easy to ignore it (and Resurrection) if you don't like them though. Thread seems a bit "baity" to me, hope that wasn't the intention?

Elmazalman

There is no "franchise". There is ONLY A  L  I  E  N and A  L  I  E  N  S. What came later is either gravy or ass gravy depending on the viewer.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: razeak on Aug 30, 2019, 04:28:10 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 29, 2019, 09:25:09 PM

Meh I haven't seen the theatrical in about 15 years so I can't even directly compare. I just remember thinking the assembly cut was better and I've stuck with it.

More people than not love the Assembly Cut, so I think it's safe to say you're in the majority there. Personally, I love Alien 3 in both forms but I agree that I'd normally watch the AC over the TE, despite preferring certain aspects of the TE more. Yeah, it's still flawed but I dig the alterations.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed