Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 123,384 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Just made it to chapter 12. So far I'm digging it. Sudler is my favorite character, as of this point. A cold, results oriented kind of dude. I'm rootin' for him.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2018, 10:58:01 PM
Just made it to chapter 12. So far I'm digging it. Sudler is my favorite character, as of this point. A cold, results oriented kind of dude. I'm rootin' for him.
I'm about 40 pages in and I'm rooting for him... to get murdered. Holy goddamn is he a slimy asshole, he makes Burke seem like Mister Rogers.

Fun to read, mind you. But he still needs a facehugging post-haste.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 28, 2018, 04:03:42 AM
I'm about 40 pages in and I'm rooting for him... to get murdered. Holy goddamn is he a slimy asshole, he makes Burke seem like Mister Rogers.

Which means the author did his job well. Whether you dig him or hate him, I'd say he's one of the better bad guys the novels have had.

The Cruentus

Well said, you have not got a decent villain if you don't have opinions one way or the other about him. This guy sounds like a love to hate type.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 28, 2018, 04:35:04 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 28, 2018, 04:03:42 AM

Which means the author did his job well. Whether you dig him or hate him, I'd say he's one of the better bad guys the novels have had.
No disagreement there, I just wouldn't say I like the guy or that I'm rooting for him, haha. :P

Hudson

Hudson

Just finished the first chapter. Looking good so far. A lot of good tension planted in here. I'm probably going to end up detouring from my other book to finish this.

Xiggz456

Finished it! Wow what a ride! Great balance between action, tension, and horror. Also, White added to the lore in a believable and unobtrusive manner with the praepotens. Lastly every character had their flaws and strengths which lent credibility to all. Yep this may be the BEST Alien novel. Highly recommend!

HuDaFuK

Was going to pick this up over the weekend, but didn't get around to it. Will grab a copy soon though!

Huggs

Huggs

Just finished. Not too bad. The story was okay. The ending felt somewhat uneventful. Sudler was by far my favorite character. Were this made into a movie, I think Cillian Murphy would rock that role. As for the aliens, they kind of seemed like they took a back seat in this one. But it worked for the story, and I thought it was handled well. Overall, I give it a 6/10.

HybridNewborn

Just finished this, was f**king great. I loved it :)

Interesting stuff with the facehugger implantation method. That, Marcus, and the medpods (that were also present in Out of the Shadows) go a long way towards making the series seem much more longform, and connected. Seegson keeps popping up as well.

If they end up adapting this to audio, I can't hear anyone as a character named "Dorian" than Alexander Vlahos. It just won't happen lol. Would be neat if they could get Fassbender in to play Marcus as well. Getting Lance Henriksen in to voice Rook there for a few liens at the end would also be a coup. Not sure who I'd want voicing Blue... or any of the other characters, for that matter...

All the characters are rather fascinating, the story could have been quite cliche and by the numbers but the interesting characters and their dynamics helped keep it fresh and interesting.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 02, 2018, 03:19:44 PM
Just finished this, was f**king great. I loved it :)

Interesting stuff with the facehugger implantation method. That, Marcus, and the medpods (that were also present in Out of the Shadows) go a long way towards making the series seem much more longform, and connected. Seegson keeps popping up as well.

If they end up adapting this to audio, I can't hear anyone as a character named "Dorian" than Alexander Vlahos. It just won't happen lol. Would be neat if they could get Fassbender in to play Marcus as well. Getting Lance Henriksen in to voice Rook there for a few liens at the end would also be a coup. Not sure who I'd want voicing Blue... or any of the other characters, for that matter...

All the characters are rather fascinating, the story could have been quite cliche and by the numbers but the interesting characters and their dynamics helped keep it fresh and interesting.

Does Seegson pop up in the earlier books?

SM

SM

Not that I recall.  They were created for the Isolation game and have appeared in the Life & Death and Defiance comics.

HuDaFuK

They also got a mention in the Out of the Shadows audio drama (but not the original novel).

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 02, 2018, 08:40:30 PM
They also got a mention in the Out of the Shadows audio drama (but not the original novel).

That explains why I wasn't familiar with the other reference. I haven't heard the audio drama.

Also, speaking of Seegson, isn't there another company? Biotech or something, that pops up in Original Sin, DNA War, and maybe No Exit? Correct me if I'm wrong. Couldn't find it on the AvP wiki.

SM

SM

Original Sin had Loki, No Exit had Planetus, and DNA War had Plancom.

Bionational was in Earth Hive.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed