ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 148,027 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 07, 2014, 06:49:55 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 07, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
I'm no chemist but I don't see how that works.

In regards to the Xenomorph being affected by acids? In what retrospect, to what I said or what with Xenomrph is countering with?

Mrph is saying.  I would think that whatever acid the Aliens have would be amongst the same ph scale as what the hydrofluoric acid would be and that the aliens method of containing its own blood would work similarly to stop another similar ph scale acid from eating its skin.

But like I said, I'm no chemist.

I didn't mind Ash so much.  He could've done everything he did without Ripley's involvement as simply being software attaching itself to any receiving hardware.  There he could've manipulated said crew into doing anything he needed to do to try and obtain the Alien.

Ripley's involvement however makes it TOO convenient though. 

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 07, 2014, 07:30:53 PM
I didn't mind Ash so much.  He could've done everything he did without Ripley's involvement as simply being software attaching itself to any receiving hardware.  There he could've manipulated said crew into doing anything he needed to do to try and obtain the Alien.

Wouldn't the only way Ash's AI or "software" get to the minor's computers from being sent from the Narcissus?  :)

If he didn't need Ripley why didn't he launch the shuttle without her sending the software to any receiving hardware or better yet launch it when the ALIEN was on board before Ripley boarded. Then he'd have his specimen.

Ripley or a pilot must have been needed. :)

Kimarhi

Spoiler
If Ash uploaded himself into the Narcissus he could've done the same thing aboard the Nostromo or anything else with hardware he could embed himself in. 

I'm just saying its a pretty convenient plot excuse for Ash to both need Ripley and then blame him for sabotaging the ship (instead of space being you know never ending) and it being lost for decades and then all evidence of the encounter being wiped out of said hijacking with mind wipe and him being killed by both a virus and his hardware shell blowing up in the atmosphere of 178.

The story would've worked better had he just went batshit with the special order, sent himself through space to be downloaded into another ship and then him sabotaging that crew into getting what he wanted instead of hijacking the Narcissus and Ripley.  IMO. 
[close]

Darwinsgirl

I take your point.  :)

Though I don't see it as a plot excuse. I see it as a way to tie it into the ALIEN storyline. THE first ALIEN not the Cameron Alien.

Its just my opinion...no better or worse then yours.  :)  And it fun exploring these ideas / theories! ;D

Kimarhi

If you liked it that's cool.  It just doesn't sit well with me.

To each their own, I don't begrudge people their opinions. 

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 07, 2014, 07:30:53 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 07, 2014, 06:49:55 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 07, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
I'm no chemist but I don't see how that works.

In regards to the Xenomorph being affected by acids? In what retrospect, to what I said or what with Xenomrph is countering with?

Mrph is saying.  I would think that whatever acid the Aliens have would be amongst the same ph scale as what the hydrofluoric acid would be and that the aliens method of containing its own blood would work similarly to stop another similar ph scale acid from eating its skin.
pH scale only deals with how acidic/basic an acid is - different acids can still have different chemical compositions, and something that's resistant to one type of acid might be ineffectual against another. Teflon will stop hydrofluoric acid, for instance, but won't do as much to stop other types of acid.

Kimarhi

I'll have to take your word for it.  Still sounds all types of shenanigans to me.

Xenomrph

I'll do some digging and see if I can find more (or at least, better explained) info for you. To be honest, I'm no chemist either. :P
I went poking around on Wikipedia for an explanation, and while I kinda-sorta understood what was going on, most of their "acids" articles are written under the assumption that the reader is a chemist. :P

Glaive

I suppose it's much like how our stomach acids get away with 'not' dissolving our stomachs...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-our-digestive-ac/

Kel G 426

Was Wolf's blue liquid an acid?  Because it definitely worked on aliens.

Xenomrph

We don't know what it was.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

We know it was f*cking dumb.

Perfect-Organism

I just finished reading the book.  If you ignore the unlikely scenarios posed (mostly to do with Ripley's all too convenient participation in all of this) you will find that is a very fun book.  It is one of the best "original" Alien stories that hasve come out in years.  It would be great if they made this into a comic.

The glaring thing that struck me most was the following.  Does anyone recall the convo that Ash, Parker, Lambert, and Ripley had about drawing straws because the Narcissus (kind of a Titanic flaw!) only has room for three?  Well now it seems the Narcissus only has room for 1.  One has to presume that when Ash, Parker, Lambert, and Ripley were talking about escaping in the Narcissus, they were talking about hibernation capsules for 3 and not just physical space for 3.  If they were talking about physical space, it seems obvious that they could fit about 8 - 10 people in there.  So just 1 hybernation capsule can't be right.  Do I get a no-prize?

Kimarhi

SM WILL KNOW.

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 11, 2014, 03:58:17 PM
I just finished reading the book.  If you ignore the unlikely scenarios posed (mostly to do with Ripley's all too convenient participation in all of this) you will find that is a very fun book.  It is one of the best "original" Alien stories that hasve come out in years.  It would be great if they made this into a comic.

The glaring thing that struck me most was the following.  Does anyone recall the convo that Ash, Parker, Lambert, and Ripley had about drawing straws because the Narcissus (kind of a Titanic flaw!) only has room for three?  Well now it seems the Narcissus only has room for 1.  One has to presume that when Ash, Parker, Lambert, and Ripley were talking about escaping in the Narcissus, they were talking about hibernation capsules for 3 and not just physical space for 3.  If they were talking about physical space, it seems obvious that they could fit about 8 - 10 people in there.  So just 1 hybernation capsule can't be right.  Do I get a no-prize?

I wondered about that too when I first read it and then forgot it... ::) are there any pics of the other capsules...anyone?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed