The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 70,256 times)

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

The suit looks ok. Granted I was hoping a bit more other than oversized plasma cannons and super large wristblades but I didn't mind the overall concept. Just help further the fact that Predators are highly advanced and didn't stagnate on their technology. Those multiple laser sightings with only two plasma cannons look stupid though, its like having multiple laser sights on one rifle.

I do fully expect the suit to be included somehow in a Iron Man crossover when Marvel starts publishing Predator comics. Don't know about the thought of it honestly but at this point, eh, The Predator already did high damage to the series so.....

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Thank the Predator Gods that Predator Hunting Grounds was already set in motion! The damage has been greatly minimized thanks to partially that game, and The Predator itself being so light and subsequently forgettable. :)

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 18, 2020, 04:55:27 PM
Thank the Predator Gods that Predator Hunting Grounds was already set in motion! The damage has been greatly minimized thanks to partially that game, and The Predator itself being so light and subsequently forgettable. :)

It is just the matter of how it will address the questions that The Predator added; What happened to the suit? What happened to Quinn and his son? What has become of the body of the Upgrade and Fugitive? What is the motive of the hostile bad blood clan that sent out Upgrade to hunt down Fugitive and Quinn's son and will they try again? Is there really going to be some kind of war or just error in logistics/research done by Stargazer, as Dutch commented on their inexperience of the Predator's race and motives?

I feel like at least these are interesting enough for it to be explored more in the future and I hope Hunting Grounds will cover at least some of this.

Tichinde

Tichinde

f**k that, ignore everything "The Predator" did, ignore "Predators" and let's go forward with one of the many anthologies they could make to bring the series back, a bit gimmicky but like Pirates, Civil War, Vikings, Sparta (my idea), or Japan, maybe even the future

Let's let the final Alien Prequel come out and pray that it brings that franchise back from the dirt as well, then... move forward with AVP, but don't f**k it up this time  :-\

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Tichinde on Oct 18, 2020, 09:24:49 PM
f**k that, ignore everything "The Predator" did, ignore "Predators" and let's go forward with one of the many anthologies they could make to bring the series back, a bit gimmicky but like Pirates, Civil War, Vikings, Sparta (my idea), or Japan, maybe even the future

Let's let the final Alien Prequel come out and pray that it brings that franchise back from the dirt as well, then... move forward with AVP, but don't f**k it up this time  :-\

I'm more likely to agree with you on The Predator than Predators. Predators wasn't a perfect film but it didn't go against established lore in a negative way. Exiled bad bloods that defies the Honor code that kidnaps prey and takes them to a private game preserve planet for their own version of a hunt? Just wasn't the best written film.

Kradan

Kradan

Yeah, you can trash The Predator all you want by don't talk like that about Predators 'cause it doesn't deserve it

skhellter

skhellter

Everything about the way Rory was written brought the movie down.
I understand that Shane Black likes to contrast the innocence of kids with super violent situations but the whole "being on the spectrum is an evolutionary advantage" thing was laughable.

That said: Liked the cast and a fair bunch of the characters. Some jokes landed. Appreciated how the movie was fairly violent but found it weird how little of the violence actually felt impactful (definitely due to the overrelliance on cgi blood).

Lots of dodgy directorial choices with some properly bad shot composition and boring cinematography. Soundtrack seemed to have been done ridiculously fast and brings nothing memorable.

Not against the concept of an "action comedy" take on this series... but this was just too much of an incoherent mess of a story.

(Predator Killer suit being hastily done cgi didn't do the whole concept any favors.... that soon-to-be-released statue looks great, though.)

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

Re-watching it now, and I can say the way it's been cut is shocking.

I appreciate they went through development hell, and re-writes and re-shoots; but the way it just hops from scene to scene is poor. Particularly the introduction of Olivia Munn's character. Now, I know there were external factors to that scene (wasn't that the part with the guy who got done for sexual offences?) but it starts the scene with her looking scared for no apparent reason then the MIB turn up. Then oh look aliens. Then cut back to the kid.

It's so jarring it's untrue.

SiL

SiL

The best is the interrogation scene in the barn, where all the important expository dialogue is delivered off-camera so that they didn't have to reshoot the scene with the actors saying new lines.

skhellter

skhellter

Could use an extended cut.

Wouldn't miraculously save the film but would definitely make it easier to digest. (without the aid of a few beers).

Doomofman

Doomofman

For some reason I woke up in the middle of the night at the weekend and had a big rant at myself in my head about how much I hate this movie. I think I'd rather watch AVP:R than this (even though I wouldn't be able to see anything).

Just as a movie it's bad. With dialogue that would even make Kevin Smith blush, a forced in kid character that and some pretty questionable CGI.

But as a Predator movie it's an absolute slap in the face to the franchise thus far (on the upside it made me appreciate Predators much more). Now I say this as a Predator film fan, I don't get into the Extended Universe stuff, but in terms of the character/mythos presented by the previous movies, The Predator is just insulting. Aside from the random giant predator, the stupid DNA BS, the horrible introduction and use of the 'camouflage ball', the random predator dog things that could have just as easily matched the design as Predators for some continuity and the sad misuse and underuse of Jake Busey's character the two biggest problems with it are the ending and the use of a CGI predator.

For me, once you get to a point that the Predator can't be played by someone in a suit you are getting away from the spirit of the movies. I'm not against the idea of a bigger predator, perhaps using forced perspective etc (seeing as humans come in all shapes and sizes) but not this 3 times the size CGI monstrosity.

As for that ending. It's like something a 10 year old scribbled on some paper after watching 1 too many episodes of GI Joe.

Does it have any redeeming qualities? I guess the actual physically done predator looks decent enough but that is actually about it.

Hopefully going forward if new movies do indeed get made, they just ignore the existence of The Predator

...andddd exhale... I feel much better now  :D

Kradan

Kradan

sigh

You finished ?

Billiken

Billiken

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Rewatched 'The Predator' last night for the first time since seeing it in the theatre, I actually liked it more the second time around. Don't get me wrong, there's still some dumb shit I can't stand (the "taking skulls for their spinal fluid" shit, or the autism stuff) and some decisions I think weren't wise (like abruptly killing off the Fugitive Predator), but I don't regret buying it and I don't regret re-watching it.

Kradan

Kradan

I'll take that

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed