Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 71,055 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Inevitability was inevitable.  Oh, and in case anyone missed this in another thread...

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 10, 2019, 11:11:43 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 10, 2019, 01:33:44 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jun 06, 2019, 06:04:15 PM
But before Dark Horse loses the license please, I'd love a TCF adaptation with art by Tristan Jones.

Is there any reason he can't draw for Marvel?

Marvel won't do adult stuff anymore. Their "mature" stuff hasn't stretched much beyond PG-13 in years. Marvel won't do Aliens. Dark Horse are publishing FROZEN, which seems a better fit for Marvel than anything, especially given how it resides in the House of Mouse. I'm more concerned about getting my PREDATOR story in before anything shifts...

So I guess we won't be seeing Tristan Jones working on any of the Marvel titles.

Nightmare Asylum

I should grab the hardcover of Dead Orbit before that goes out of print...

j0nesy

on one hand, i'm sad to see an end to dark horse's alien comics

on the other, it's exciting to see that disney has the series in mind, at least from an expanded universe perspective

426Buddy

426Buddy

Well this is terrible news, f*ck Disney

Just ruined my week  :'( >:(

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 03:42:55 PM

on the other, it's exciting to see that disney has the series in mind, at least from an expanded universe perspective

I don't think Disney handing the comics over to a company that doesn't do mature/adult comics is very exciting. More like depressing.

KikReask

Well if it wasn't possible for me to wish the mouse die a quicker death it is now. Its a matter of morality for me, Marvel and Disney are just thieves who only care about money.

With Star Wars gone and Conan gone and Hellboy having ended as well, and now both Alien and Predator have been stolen away, what is left for Dark Horse now huh?

Whiskeybrewer

Damn so it is true  >:( :'(

Xenomrph

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 02, 2020, 03:45:42 PM

I don't think Disney handing the comics over to a company that doesn't do mature/adult comics is very exciting. More like depressing.
How do we know they don't? Why would they bother with the license if they don't plan to do anything with it?

StrangeShape

The end of Dark Horse's Aliens for good? Nooooooooooo

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 02, 2020, 04:31:08 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 02, 2020, 03:45:42 PM

How do we know they don't? Why would they bother with the license if they don't plan to do anything with it?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 02, 2020, 03:34:00 PM
Inevitability was inevitable.  Oh, and in case anyone missed this in another thread...

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 10, 2019, 11:11:43 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 10, 2019, 01:33:44 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jun 06, 2019, 06:04:15 PM
But before Dark Horse loses the license please, I'd love a TCF adaptation with art by Tristan Jones.

Is there any reason he can't draw for Marvel?

Marvel won't do adult stuff anymore. Their "mature" stuff hasn't stretched much beyond PG-13 in years. Marvel won't do Aliens. Dark Horse are publishing FROZEN, which seems a better fit for Marvel than anything, especially given how it resides in the House of Mouse. I'm more concerned about getting my PREDATOR story in before anything shifts...

So I guess we won't be seeing Tristan Jones working on any of the Marvel titles.

If they do anything I feel it will be more sanitized than anything we are used to from Dark Horse. They could also be putting the EU on ice and wanted to just bring the rights back to a company they already own. But I am not knowledgeable about how licenses work in these situations.

Other than that I am loyal to DH and this move although not surprising still hurts.

Ultramorph

Wow, talk about a seismic shift. 30 years of Dark Horse comics over, and likely to be retconned away forever like Marvel did with Star Wars. We'll never get that Life and Death sequel now.  :'(

This sucks in a lot of ways. I am somewhat hopeful marvel will at least out out books regularly, and I'll reserve judgment on the quality until they do.

That being said, my feelings toward Dark Horse have somewhat soured given the stuff they've been in the news for recently. Marvel and DC are no better, for sure.

PAS Spinelli

On one hand, this could go on a good way, Hunting Ground's expanded lore is the best we've gotten in a long time, specially since it does it's best to isolate the events in 2018
On the other, we could get more stupid stories that completely undermine the creatures, like the space orcs that eat Xenomorphs

Corporal Hicks

So on the one hand I'm super disappointed about Dark Horse losing the license. It's just so hard to imagine an Alien or Predator comic series without that horse on it. Aside from the on-going Aliens arc, I thought they'd really been knocking it out the park with Alien and Predator lately.

But on the other hand, I'm glad Disney aren't forgetting Alien and Predator. But them both under Marvel is unchattered waters. Be interesting to see what they do come up with.

I just wish we knew where we stood on the remaining Dark Horse titles. We've got Predator: Hunters 3 and AvP: Thicker Than Blood which are only halfway through their runs. Both have trades on DH's website, but no further singles. Alien: Original Screenplay still has the first 2 issues on the website, and the Predator version is gone completely. If it's anything like the novel license, they should still get to finish publishing what they announced before their license expired.

JokersWarPig

End of an era, but we all knew it would be coming eventually.

I'm not sure how I feel about something like Iron Man Vs Predator or Guardians of the Galaxy vs Aliens but I guess we'll see how things go. Hopefully they do things similar to the way Dark Horse did and keep the cross overs minimal.

About the violence/gore worry; maybe these will fall under the MAX title so we can get more adult oriented content. The Punisher's max titles are always super violent (and tbh he's the only Marvel hero I'd want to see fight a Predator).

acrediblesource

I guess it was bound to happen. They had it with DC crossovers too. So i wonder if Marvel will do any better. I'm sure it would be more impressive than Batman vs Predator or Aliens vs Wild C.a.t.s , those BTW exist already.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed