Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 191,670 times)

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: 8BA on Oct 09, 2015, 10:29:58 PM
Oh man, this guy's art reminds me of Killian Plunkett's from Labyrinth, & that's a very good thing.

I agree, that one Alien has Labyrinth written all over it.  I hope the story has the same decayed feel to it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Oct 09, 2015, 09:09:13 PM
Not jumping down your throat on this one, but when I said "kinda" it was a generalized comment. There's a reason "ALIENS" was more successful as a toyline than ALIEN and even had a proposed animated series -- you remember more lines from ALIENS because it's written that way -- regardless of Vietnam analogy. The overall tone of the film -- overall being the key word -- is very much a hoo-ra thing, even if the characters weren't overtly so.

As I said, for me, this is ALIENS via ALIEN, though I guess more accurately as someone here put it COLONIAL MARINES via ALIEN. Not that that has anything to do with the story, obviously. Hopefully you'll all remember to pre-order at your comic shops so we can keep this running as long as we can because, man, Brian's got some amazing stuff up his sleeve!

Good to see you using the forum, Sir. :)

I'd still take issue with the above perspective of the second film, though. To each his own and all that, but as I say, it's only really Hudson who acts in that way. Even the rest of the Sulaco crew seem to get annoyed with his attitude. They're confident of their abilities, sure, but that's because they've clearly earned it: Vasquez and co roll their eyes at Gorman not having the same combat experience as the rest of them. Apone, especially, gets pissed off with Hudson being a loud-mouth and disciplines him a few times.

Once they realise what they're up against (which is relatively early on in the audience's time with them), they shift to a much more realist view of their situation.

It's more the comics and games (especially a certain title made by Gearbox) which amplified the superficial stuff up to max. The original film doesn't really do that (though I'd readily agree, Hudson's dropship monologue is forever cringe-worthy ;)).

I'd argue it's more 'Alien Resurrection' which devolves down the road of unbelievable machismo, if any of them did.

Regardless! I do like the tone which has been described and certainly aim to purchase it, based on that. I do especially like that you guys aren't going down the conspiracy route and are portraying Weyland-Yutani as not properly knowing about what the organism actually is! They've been depicted as too moustache-twirly in recent years.

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Oct 10, 2015, 12:02:06 AM
Quote from: 8BA on Oct 09, 2015, 10:29:58 PM
Oh man, this guy's art reminds me of Killian Plunkett's from Labyrinth, & that's a very good thing.

I agree, that one Alien has Labyrinth written all over it.  I hope the story has the same decayed feel to it.

Plunkett is my favourite artist that ever graced the business! So I will certainly not object to comparisons! Labyrinth was the first comic I ever put on a standing order for myself, too!

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 10, 2015, 12:13:52 AM
I'd still take issue with the above perspective of the second film, though. To each his own and all that, but as I say, it's only really Hudson who acts in that way....

....It's more the comics and games (especially a certain title made by Gearbox) which amplified the superficial stuff up to max. The original film doesn't really do that (though I'd readily agree, Hudson's dropship monologue is forever cringe-worthy ;)).

I should clarify -- my beef with Aliens is largely that it's simply Alien on a bigger scale and a less menacing creature, but my intent behind the comment targets more what it created out of what it is than what it ACTUALLY is. The stuff that it's remembered for created a whole pantheon of repetitious fiction that borders on awful fan fiction (Colonial Marines game), and that horrendously misinterpreted "bug hunt" line and the misappropriation of the term "xenomorph". THAT's what we're very actively distancing ourselves from. Taking what we liked best about ALIENS and pulling it back into that Ridley Scott sense of storytelling. Though I did say it would be interesting to see what Aliens via Cronenberg might look like, so you may see a bit of that in the future... ;)

Thanks for being so welcoming, too folks! I've been  coming here on the reg for news for AGES but am not a big poster. If you're on twitter, be sure to hit me at trexjones, though!

Ultramorph

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Oct 10, 2015, 01:47:05 AM
I should clarify -- my beef with Aliens is largely that it's simply Alien on a bigger scale and a less menacing creature, but my intent behind the comment targets more what it created out of what it is than what it ACTUALLY is. The stuff that it's remembered for created a whole pantheon of repetitious fiction that borders on awful fan fiction (Colonial Marines game), and that horrendously misinterpreted "bug hunt" line and the misappropriation of the term "xenomorph". THAT's what we're very actively distancing ourselves from.

I'm excited to hear that. I love Aliens, but I've felt for a long time that it has had too much of the wrong kind of influence on the EU, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store with Defiance.

KiramidHead

I'm always up for new Alien/Aliens related material, and I like how this sounds like a mixture of the first two films. And I loved Tristan Jones' work on the most recent Silent Hill comic, so I'm sure the art for Defiance will be excellent.I'm not completely sold on giving Amanda Ripley a cameo, given I was one of the people who felt that using her at all for Isolation was a bit of a stretch. As long as she doesn't start cropping up in every other comic/book/etc, I suppose I'll be fine with it. I also haven't finished Isolation yet, so my verdict there is still out.

Oh, and a badass black warrior chick named Zula? Someone on the creative team must be a huge fan of Conan the Destroyer. :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

So cool to have one of the creators of the comic join the convo here with us.  Welcome indeed Tristan!

I am curious, will this be a part of the Alien imprint or the Aliens graphic style.  It seems lately that we have been going away from the "Aliens" graphic look and more towards the "Alien look".  Any indication on that?

...Also, can we consider this somewhat a continuation of the Alien: Isolation game?

Xenomorphine

Thanks for the clarification. Especially like that you understand 'bug hunt' and 'xenomorph' shouldn't have been interpreted in the way they later have been, too. :)

CrespiChickenStrips

I'm totally getting the nods to Labyrinth that everybody else is in your art style.  Fantastic work!  I'm excited for this comic based on what's been stated here.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 10, 2015, 04:24:05 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Especially like that you understand 'bug hunt' and 'xenomorph' shouldn't have been interpreted in the way they later have been, too. :)

This.  Totally agree.  It shows a great level of appreciation and understanding of the Aliens universe.

RakaiThwei

I honestly had no problem with the creatures being referred to as Xenomorphs.. with a capital X. I'm surprised Fox really didn't correct anyone twenty six years ago when they were doing the old EU stuff. Kind of want to ask why now?

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 10, 2015, 05:45:43 PM

This.  Totally agree.  It shows a great level of appreciation and understanding of the Aliens universe.

That's 'Alien universe'.  :D

Couldn't resist.  :P

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 10, 2015, 09:50:43 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 10, 2015, 05:45:43 PM

That's 'Alien universe'.  :D

Couldn't resist.  :P

No, that's ALIENS universe.  There's lot's of them.  ;)

Ultramorph

It's definitely cool to have Jones on here as a member. If you want to see more of his art, including some stuff that's definitely Defiance-related, check out his Instgram.
https://instagram.com/tyrannojones/

proto leech

QuoteI should clarify -- my beef with Aliens is largely that it's simply Alien on a bigger scale and a less menacing creature, but my intent behind the comment targets more what it created out of what it is than what it ACTUALLY is. The stuff that it's remembered for created a whole pantheon of repetitious fiction that borders on awful fan fiction (Colonial Marines game), and that horrendously misinterpreted "bug hunt" line and the misappropriation of the term "xenomorph". THAT's what we're very actively distancing ourselves from. Taking what we liked best about ALIENS and pulling it back into that Ridley Scott sense of storytelling. Though I did say it would be interesting to see what Aliens via Cronenberg might look like, so you may see a bit of that in the future... ;)
I like you. You get it.

robbritton

Nice to see you on here, Tristan! I loved the PCOC stuff you did with the IDW Ghostbusters comic, so lovely to see you get a crack at my other favourite property. Such a correct take on Aliens too, the perception of the film is horribly soured by spin offs and fanfic, the Colonial Marines game most of all. It'll be grand to see a more understanding take on that!
(Have you read the Strange Shapes blog at all? It takes a very similar line on misconceptions of the second movie, and is a fascinating read!)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed