ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 148,049 times)

Kimarhi

No.  None of them are hard sci fi.  The people portray are realistic people, but they aren't in a hard science fiction world.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 14, 2014, 04:31:34 AM
Are you nuts? It's the closest we'll ever get to space being a realistic place.
With artificial gravity, faster than light travel, and alien organisms that fly in the face of physics, biology, etc. ... ?

Not really.

Kimarhi

I know what he's saying.  Alien is portrayed in a way that unless your looking for those mistakes because your majored in astrophysics or some shit you don't have to suspend disbelief.

But it isn't hard scifi.

SiL

SiL

Alien feels real, because they knew it had to for people to buy the fantastical elements. But it never tries to be real.

Kimarhi

Indeed. 

HuDaFuK

Finished the book last night.

I thought it was written well enough, but the story didn't do much for me at all, and I just couldn't get over the stupid inclusion of Ripley for no reason whatsoever. She added nothing to the story, whilst taking a lot away. Ruined the book for me. It got particularly stupid towards the end, with her begging to have her mind wiped.

All that effort to fit the novel between the first two films, and they didn't even explain who wedged the harpoon gun back under the Narcissus door, because it's there at the start of Aliens :P

Corporal Hicks

I've finished writing my review. Just doing some polishing then I'll publish.

I'm also going to be doing a follow-up Q&A with Tim so if anyone has any specific questions, get them in.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 14, 2014, 03:42:35 PM
I've finished writing my review. Just doing some polishing then I'll publish.

I'm also going to be doing a follow-up Q&A with Tim so if anyone has any specific questions, get them in.

Hi Corporal Hicks,

Here are my questions:
1.  Are the dog-aliens in the book the same as the dog-alien which appears in the mural with the engineer in prometheus (the image is on page 22 of this topic)

2.  Is there a connection between Trimonite and the Alien ship that was discovered at the mining site?  Was the Alien ship being "grown" out of the Trimonite?

Thanks!

Kimarhi

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 14, 2014, 08:36:11 AM

I thought it was written well enough, but the story didn't do much for me at all, and I just couldn't get over the stupid inclusion of Ripley for no reason whatsoever. She added nothing to the story, whilst taking a lot away. Ruined the book for me. It got particularly stupid towards the end, with her begging to have her mind wiped.

All that effort to fit the novel between the first two films, and they didn't even explain who wedged the harpoon gun back under the Narcissus door, because it's there at the start of Aliens :P

Nice memory.  I had forgotten.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 14, 2014, 06:29:00 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 14, 2014, 08:36:11 AM

Nice memory.  I had forgotten.

Kimarhi: You didn't forget.  The med-pod wiped it out for you.   ;)

Kimarhi

hoho

:)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

That's what I mean, even if it isn't hard sci-fi it needs to feel real. Anything that doesn't is trash as far as I'm concerned.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Edited for Disregarded Inquiery.

Kimarhi

Which book is featuring Hicks?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 16, 2014, 02:00:06 AM
Which book is featuring Hicks?

Someone mentioned a book which was going to be featuring Hicks. I think it's Sea of Sorrows.. I think.

Aaaaaand it turns out that Tim Lebbon might not be writing that, so disregard that question.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed