Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 08, 2018, 06:36:34 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68 (Read 17,569 times)

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Jul 09, 2018, 05:15:17 PM
Yes Covenant is misanthropic and anti-humanist, nihilistic. But that is/was the whole point of the ALIEN series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't quite agree, since the Alien also represents a sort of Nietzschean Übermensch. It literally has our DNA. In that sense the Alien series is life affirming.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Great poddie guys, you bring up a lot of good points positive and negative.

Thanks for the mention as well, if anyone else wants to read what I've found in Alien Covenant you can find it here https://yutani.blog/a-l-i-e-n/

As for my friend Clayre, her blog is https://gothic-fiction-in-space.tumblr.com/post/164533391538/1-the-romanticism-of-alien-covenant

Thinking about aesthetic differences between the book and the movie I have changed my mind and I actually enjoy the fact David is the creator, thematically it makes sense because Walter can only copy and imitate but David can do more. And if David was to die at the hand of his creation(or his creation's creation/ Queen and subsequent offspring) which seems to be where this story is going, it would make sense that he is the creator of the Xenomorph.

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 09, 2018, 09:23:54 PM
Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Jul 09, 2018, 05:15:17 PM
Yes Covenant is misanthropic and anti-humanist, nihilistic. But that is/was the whole point of the ALIEN series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't quite agree, since the Alien also represents a sort of Nietzschean Übermensch. It literally has our DNA. In that sense the Alien series is life affirming.

And I do love how Ridley has been able to retroactively change the story to suit that Nietzschean Übermensch storyline/chain of events leading right up to Alien Resurrection. It's just another thing I love about these prequels, it gives me a lot to think about in the sense you get the inspiration from the very first myths right up to horror of the modern day.

Dropship

Love the podcast fellas, quality as always and I agree with nearly everything said,

Keep up the good work

XENOMORPHOSIS

There was an article  posted over a year ago, it involved an interview with Ridley Scott taking about Alien Covenant where tells us Alien: Covenant 2 to Start Shooting in 14 Months? That was May of 2017, now its been 14 months July 2018. The less than expected box office results and fan response have Fox reevaluating the series. Hope Ridley's given the chance to make one more entry and end his trilogy leading to the set up of his original Alien. May likely not happen though.

SM

It's more likely the box office and subsequent Disney sale that have slowed things down.  There were reports since Covenant that they were looking at where to go next.

Saggit

Great podcast!

As for the movie, even year later I think it is crap! The most thing that I hate about it (among many things) is how stupid and retarded the characters are. The only explanation I can find is that you don't send the most valuable members of society on a virgin flight to colonise an unknown planet. But why do you send complete idiots is beyond me?!?!

Cinematography is beatiful though. First 30 minutes is pretty good as well.

Still, gonna give it a one more shot todays evening. If not for anything else than for guilty pleasure. I can always wach Alien and Alien 3 to see a great ALIEN movie and forget about Prometheus/Covenant/Scotts "visions" and "fresh ideas".

LtJesseRipley

I think Ridley will finish Big  (FIGERS CROSSED AND EAY PRAY LOVE) and then I hope more Ripley omg Yeah! Then a 10 part-Story Arch with a Male Hero and also Staring Me Lt Jesse Ripley.

Bad Replicant

This was a good listen after having been away from the site for a while. It seemed appropriate to touch on the anger frothing particularly intensely in certain fandoms at the moment. Although I agree this fanbase can be more 'stable' overall than some others, I think it's fair to say things got ugly after Covenant, to the point (for me) that the discussion just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

I think Ridley should be given the shot if he's willing to wrap up his prequel story within one more movie. That always seemed like a more realistic choice anyways, instead of going off for another three or four. I don't agree with everything he's done, but I liked Covenant and would at least like to see the story get a real resolution.

If nothing else, one thing I hope comes of the Prometheus-Covenant era is for Fox not to be afraid to continue in a direction that's not Ripley-centric, wherever they may go timeline-wise.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 09, 2018, 09:23:54 PMthe Alien also represents a sort of Nietzschean Übermensch.

Now that is one of the darnedest things that I ever read.

QuoteIt literally has our DNA.

Oh shit.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Bad Replicant on Jul 14, 2018, 08:33:39 AM

If nothing else, one thing I hope comes of the Prometheus-Covenant era is for Fox not to be afraid to continue in a direction that's not Ripley-centric, wherever they may go timeline-wise.

This.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I like A:C and PROM less and less every time I watch them. There is so much both lore-wise, film-wise and storytelling-wise that I strongly disagree with and find highly lackluster and disappointing.

Necro II

I somewhat disagree about the pathogen being able to do anything the film makers want, it can't set you on fire, etc. It atomized into particles in the air due to being deployed at high velocity and air pressure; the ampules shook up like cans of soda, while the stationary ampules just bled when exposed to the air. It's a reactive, chaotic mutagen but there's one constant - it's consistently aggressive across the variety of applications that we've seen. It's basically the perfect weapon. David tried to improve upon perfection; he gave the neomorph armour, made the egg sacs larger, created a facehugger to deploy embryos via the throat, thus he poured all of his sexual neurosis/madness into his designs. His creature's life cycle is "perfect" to him because it's especially sadistic to humans, he chose aesthetic, cruel sexual deviance over efficiency. David was made to be as close to humans as possible but not to perish or pass on his genes. The xenomorph is the culmination of that - a literal rape and death machine. With 10 years of isolation and sexual neurosis it follows that he'd stop caring about efficiency, totally steeped as he is in his own visionary, mad genius.

SM

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Necro II on Jul 15, 2018, 06:00:02 AM
I somewhat disagree about the pathogen being able to do anything the film makers want, it can't set you on fire, etc. It atomized into particles in the air due to being deployed at high velocity and air pressure; the ampules shook up like cans of soda, while the stationary ampules just bled when exposed to the air. It's a reactive, chaotic mutagen but there's one constant - it's consistently aggressive across the variety of applications that we've seen. It's basically the perfect weapon. David tried to improve upon perfection; he gave the neomorph armour, made the egg sacs larger, created a facehugger to deploy embryos via the throat, thus he poured all of his sexual neurosis/madness into his designs. His creature's life cycle is "perfect" to him because it's especially sadistic to humans, he chose aesthetic, cruel sexual deviance over efficiency. David was made to be as close to humans as possible but not to perish or pass on his genes. The xenomorph is the culmination of that - a literal rape and death machine. With 10 years of isolation and sexual neurosis it follows that he'd stop caring about efficiency, totally steeped as he is in his own visionary, mad genius.

<3 <3 <3

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bad Replicant on Jul 14, 2018, 08:33:39 AM
This was a good listen after having been away from the site for a while. It seemed appropriate to touch on the anger frothing particularly intensely in certain fandoms at the moment. Although I agree this fanbase can be more 'stable' overall than some others, I think it's fair to say things got ugly after Covenant, to the point (for me) that the discussion just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

I'm sorry it got that bad for you. Welcome back though.

QuoteIf nothing else, one thing I hope comes of the Prometheus-Covenant era is for Fox not to be afraid to continue in a direction that's not Ripley-centric, wherever they may go timeline-wise.

Completely agreed. They need to push on without fear of dragging Ripley with them.

Quote from: Necro II on Jul 15, 2018, 06:00:02 AM

I really really like this take on it. Not so much literal perfection of the Aliens.

Thanks to everyone for listening!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed