Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 18, 2021, 06:30:03 PM

Author
Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter (Read 68,918 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Aug 12, 2022, 08:06:17 AMI find it not professionnal at all for Marvel (or Nicole Spiegel?), after so many years of acquiring these franchises, to fail with dates or lore.

It's not an issue of professionalism. Marvel didn't want to be tied down by the other stuff, and since the Disney purchase there's no longer anyone managing from Fox's POV that wants to keep them all tied together like during the 2010s.

It's nothing new to either Predator or any franchise. It's just a different continuity. Predators was always assumed to be in 2010 as that's when the movie was released. And ultimately it's neither here nor there. It doesn't have a bearing on the story.

Agent Aztlan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 12, 2022, 08:08:28 AMIt's not an issue of professionalism. Marvel didn't want to be tied down by the other stuff, and since the Disney purchase there's no longer anyone managing from Fox's POV that wants to keep them all tied together like during the 2010s.

It's nothing new to either Predator or any franchise. It's just a different continuity. Predators was always assumed to be in 2010 as that's when the movie was released. And ultimately it's neither here nor there. It doesn't have a bearing on the story.

So, in this case, for now only movies and Marvel comics are the new canon... and it's sad but f*ck Predator: Hunting Grounds, Alien: Isolation, Aliens: Fireteam Elite, Titan novels, Alien RPG, NECA and Lanard action figures because their are not made/supervised/monitored by Disney?
It's all Star Wars EU again, and I'm not interested to see the Alien, Predator and AvP franchises being screwed by them.

Corporal Hicks

For Predator, at least. There's now someone handling co-ordination on Alien from Studios/Disney, but I don't believe there is for Predator.

SiL

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Aug 12, 2022, 08:31:21 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 12, 2022, 08:08:28 AMIt's not an issue of professionalism. Marvel didn't want to be tied down by the other stuff, and since the Disney purchase there's no longer anyone managing from Fox's POV that wants to keep them all tied together like during the 2010s.

So, in this case, for now only movies and Marvel comics are the new canon... and it's sad but f*ck Predator: Hunting Grounds, Alien: Isolation, Aliens: Fireteam Elite, Titan novels, Alien RPG, NECA and Lanard action figures because their are not made/supervised/monitored by Disney?
It's all Star Wars EU again, and I'm not interested to see the Alien, Predator and AvP franchises being screwed by them.
The movies have never cared about any of the expanded material. The expanded material has contradicted itself on plenty of occasions. None of this is new under Disney.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Aug 12, 2022, 08:31:21 AMSo, in this case, for now only movies and Marvel comics are the new canon... and it's sad but f*ck Predator: Hunting Grounds, Alien: Isolation, Aliens: Fireteam Elite, Titan novels, Alien RPG, NECA and Lanard action figures because their are not made/supervised/monitored by Disney?

So what you are saying's Marvel's Alien and Predator runs are all elseworlds tales then. Got it.

Engineer

Engineer

Major retcons of the comics have been a recurring thing for alien/predator/AVP since the early 90s. Pretty much every time a new movie released starting with Alien 3. I've been expecting another retcon ever since I first heard about the fox/Disney merger. Disney/marvel did the same thing with Star Wars, as someone previously pointed out. It's frustrating but understandable. They tossed out pretty much everything except the movies and started fresh. Slowly, they've been re-introducing the old EU characters/concepts and meshing them into a *less* convoluted new EU. Tbh it's not all that different from how marvel has handled their flag-ship properties either (how many times have they rebooted the spider man comics? X men? Etc.).

I guess the good news for predator is that a large portion of the stories were anthology-style so they can stand alone. That makes it easier to keep it as your own canon without any contradictions despite marvel/Disney's stance on its canonical status. For example, if you're a big fan of "Predator: pride at nghasa" they'd really have to go out of their way to purposely remove this out of potential-canon status with a new story that takes place then and there to contradict it. Otherwise, a story like the one marvel just started does very little to change the stories that came before.

Prey, on the other hand did result in a retcon of a comic. That short story "1718." But unlike the retcons from the ALIEN side of the fence, this movie only retconned a single, 10-page short story rather than the entire EU. Personally, I like Prey better than that old "1718" comic anyway. 

Ps. About that "anthology-style" remark, I guess I should add a note on to that. This was largely the case before the "Predator: Hunters" series. Nemesis, bad blood, big game/blood on two-witch Mesa were all stand alone stories that were then tied together by the "hunters" series. The original Schaefer trilogy (concrete jungle, Cold War, dark river) tied in with the first movie more, and "hunters III" tied them in more strongly with nemesis, bad blood and big game too.

Wompdonkey

[/quote]

The comics and books have never been part of one giant continuity. Also, none of those things have been made not canon.

Also also, the EU of Star Wars was so giant and convoluted that the only way they could have made a sequel was to ignore it. Star Wars is so much bigger than the few thousand fans that read the books.

happypred

happypred

No big corporation can tell us what we can enjoy or discuss online

The Predator EU like SW Legends will always be a canon unto itself

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2022, 03:55:37 AMI didn't say it was. I said it's a fools errand to say that some themes are inherently better than others to explore.

I think the idea is that certain monsters by their nature are stronger vehicles for exploring certain themes. Up to debate regarding the aliens and predator, but I do think Predator is a deconstruction of gung ho masculinity. It's quite a smart film despite the 80s action hero optics of the first act.

SiL

And it has been used to explore those themes wonderfully. It can afford to explore something else occasionally.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Hadji Murad on Aug 09, 2022, 03:23:58 AMto what women actually experience ... is unique to women and their experience of life, has a relationship with this space rapist more than a man can

Yeah, because no man has ever been raped, right?

BlueMarsalis79

Screenwriter Dan O'Bannon later recalled: "I said, 'That's how I'm going to attack the audience; I'm going to attack them sexually. And I'm not going after the women in the audience, I'm going to attack the men. I'm going to put in every image I can think of to make the men in the audience cross their legs. '"

Rex

Rex

Just finished reading the first issue. I think it was decently promising, but I'm curious what the general consensus in the fandom is. I would've preferred if Marvel went with something a bit more traditional for this first issue/storyline rather than just starting off with a Machiko-esque character, but I'm willing to see where it goes nonetheless.

Although I hope following issues better highlight how dangerous the Predators are. The fight in the first few pages seemed too easy.

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Aug 12, 2022, 08:31:21 AM

I can understand the frustration, but as a long-time fan of the Godzilla series, I find rebooting a series fairly normal; as convoluted as it can get to keep track of for newcomers.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Rex on Aug 14, 2022, 03:40:34 AMI would've preferred if Marvel went with something a bit more traditional for this first issue/storyline rather than just starting off with a Machiko-esque character, but I'm willing to see where it goes nonetheless.

Yeah, I agree. I think they've jumped too far ahead, where they should have started with something like establishing this new Predator.

Nelostic

Marvel just want make
Predator comix for girls too!

Huntsman

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 12, 2022, 04:01:11 AMI just read issue 1 of predator.
I hated it.
I had high hopes marvel would knock this one out of the park, but instead i think they missed the mark.
Oh well, at least "Prey" freakin rules!!
Didn't like it either, and the art is poor.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed