1:1 Big Chap Alien Bust Sculpt

Started by Rabbit2100, Apr 26, 2017, 06:38:35 AM

Author
1:1 Big Chap Alien Bust Sculpt (Read 2,671 times)

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

Hello all!

Long time member of the galaxy, usually pretty quiet, but I've been around for awhile. Back in 2015 I started working on this piece. Its been on and off of my workbench for far too long. I recently made a new artist friend who shares a similar passion for this creature and over the past month and a half we've poured some 100+ hours into this sculpt. We are very proud of how this creature is turning out, we originally had planned to have this piece sculpted and molded by the release of covenant. But given recent time constraints we are being forced to push it back.


So given today is the second annual Alien Day, we decided to finally come out and show off this bad boy a bit! Let us know what you think! :D









SiL

SiL

#1
Looks very close to the WIP of the actual head. Love it!

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#2
Quote from: SiL on Apr 26, 2017, 11:27:50 AM
Looks very close to the WIP of the actual head. Love it!
We've been using a combination of Carlo Rambaldis head, Gigers head, and a few other custom sculpts as reference.

We're kind of trying to recreate the look of the original head, but put some of our own design choices/aesthetics as well to it. We really want this sculpt to feel different than any that are out there currently while still remaining very true to Gigers original head.



EDIT: I'd really like to use this piece as a jumping off point for another 1:1 Alien sculpt eventually, I think it would be really interesting to play around with the idea of merging the head designs from the first 2 films, maybe a smaller dome over the skull face with the side ribs on the rest of the head.

windebieste

That is some wicked piece of work you got there. 

How do you plan to cast the dome?

-Windebieste.

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#4
Quote from: windebieste on Apr 29, 2017, 06:13:34 AM
That is some wicked piece of work you got there. 

How do you plan to cast the dome?

-Windebieste.

We're discussing the possibilities of vacuumforming with PETG plastic at the moment. We've hit a bit of a roadbump with how exactly to go about building a vacform table though. but we dont want to get too far ahead of ourselves. We also aren't opposed to casting in a clear cast plastic resin as well.

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#5
Still waiting on some high res photos from my partners portfolio review, but heres a few snaps i managed to get of our finished sculpt. After some careful consideration we've decided to build an entire creature suit to accompany this head.



windebieste

Wow... going to do the full body, too.  I was wondering if you would.  That's sure become an ambitious Project all of a sudden. 

Make the upper part of the skull glow in the dark!  Go on... you know you want to.  ;)

-Windebieste.

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#7
Quote from: windebieste on May 30, 2017, 06:28:23 AM
Wow... going to do the full body, too.  I was wondering if you would.  That's sure become an ambitious Project all of a sudden. 

Make the upper part of the skull glow in the dark!  Go on... you know you want to.  ;)

-Windebieste.

Its going to be a lot, but my partner and i are both sculptors and she just graduated from an fx school in pittsburgh so we both have a solid grasp of what were doing.

We're planning the full suit with some digitigrade stilt ;)

Oh man glow in the dark is GOING TO HAPPEN. We were also going to do a thermal dust application as well.

windebieste

Oh, nice.  The great thing about good old fashioned glow in the dark paint is the traditional yellow colour is perfect when the lights are on for that bony appearance.  ...and when the lights are out you'll be able to see the skull  ...in the dark. Too awesome.

That's def gon upset some people around here, you know that, right?  lol.

-Windebieste.

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#9
Quote from: windebieste on Jun 01, 2017, 02:40:56 AM
Oh, nice.  The great thing about good old fashioned glow in the dark paint is the traditional yellow colour is perfect when the lights are on for that bony appearance.  ...and when the lights are out you'll be able to see the skull  ...in the dark. Too awesome.

That's def gon upset some people around here, you know that, right?  lol.

-Windebieste.


I'll never understand the distaste for the digitgrade legs. It makes worlds more sense for the overall creature design. And i could almost swear that i read somewhere Ridley originally wanted the creature to have them as well, but they couldn't make it work at the time.

windebieste

windebieste

#10
There's a lot of things Scott couldn't do at the time.  I don't think any of Giger's original designs depicted anything other than a plantigrade configuration. 

Mind you, you can always pass it off as being a 'Stompy' suit.  That's cool, too.  Everyone loves Stompy!

-Windebieste.

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#11
not much progress forward, but we finished resculpting the jaw and upper pallet. He got pretty bumped around on our way across state. but hes almost all fixed up and just waitin on a smoothin.  8)




also if anyone is social media savvy, and would want to follow the build a bit closer, i invite you to follow my instagram _aladdin_sane_

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#12
We have our mold open and are ready to churn out some casts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182731673295

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

#13
might wanna replace those pictures sir.... photobucket is now holding everyones images hostage and no longer allows off site linking unless you want to pay them an outrageous sum of roughly $400 per year

Rabbit2100

Rabbit2100

#14
Quote from: DorkiDori on Aug 25, 2017, 05:36:37 PM
might wanna replace those pictures sir.... photobucket is now holding everyones images hostage and no longer allows off site linking unless you want to pay them an outrageous sum of roughly $400 per year






AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed
Contact: General Queries | Submit News