Would you welcome a third film?

Started by Mala'kak, May 10, 2020, 04:57:15 PM

Author
Would you welcome a third film? (Read 19,712 times)

Mala'kak

Mala'kak

If so what would be your ideal plot?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yes, as long as you bring in the talent for writing/directing.

My fan fantasy?

Future w/marines trapped in a hive/colony type situation. Instead of rescue they are stumbled upon an experienced predator twin/duo who fight/hunt in tandem making the situation a total nightmare. The preds are not friendly and enjoy the opportunity to get some marine skulls.

The two preds have trained together specifically for this. They have come as part of a ritual to bring in a live queen without help from the clan.

The marines/colonists want to get the hell out.

The aliens need hosts.

Probably stupid but thats it right off of the top of my head.

Part of the story would focus on the pred duo and their reverence of the alien and importance of the rituals. Also a chance to show new alien hunting gear and an inventive way to get the queen.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 10, 2020, 07:15:58 PM
The two preds have trained together specifically for this. They have come as part of a ritual to bring in a live queen without help from the clan.

------------

Part of the story would focus on the pred duo and their reverence of the alien and importance of the rituals. Also a chance to show new alien hunting gear and an inventive way to get the queen.

I'd never actually considered that as a plot point for a film. I know it's been done in some of the comics, but my head just tends to get stuck in the "do the basic Alien vs. Predator right" that I'd never even thought of it. I think that'd be quite thrilling to see.

Stitch

Stitch

How about one where the actual versus part is just incidental? Humans in space have an accident and crash land on a planet. It just happens to be that the planet has aliens, and there are predators that which are already actively hunting them.

Instead of whoever wins, we lose, yay-rah predator team up, you have it structured more like Pitch Black, where it's just about survival in the face of creatures you can't hope to comprehend.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 11, 2020, 09:35:52 AM

------------

I'd never actually considered that as a plot point for a film. I know it's been done in some of the comics, but my head just tends to get stuck in the "do the basic Alien vs. Predator right" that I'd never even thought of it. I think that'd be quite thrilling to see.

I thought about it a bit more yesterday and the bare bones plot came pretty quickly.

The colony hive, marines waiting for inbound rescue. Predator twins show up to find/capture the queen. The marines and preds skirmish and some marines are turned into trophys.

The preds then turn to the task of entering the hive and taking the queen. The marines regroup and decide to look for the pred ship to see if there is any way to fly it to safety. There is some who assume the preds destroyed their rescue in orbit. When they find and enter the ship they engage a predator tech/pilot/priest who is still on the ship.

The preds have reached the queen and are in the process of readying their capturing equipment when their ship is accidently destroyed by the Marines. This destroys the containment gear and kills the queen in the process. The hive rages and attacks the two preds.

The marines suffer large casualties at the pred ship and have lost all hope. However they get word that their rescue has arrived and is inbound. They attempt to take all survivors to the landing bay.

The Hive is enraged at the loss of the queen, in the battle with the preds one of them is killed and the other is facehugged. When the predator awakens he knows he is doomed but only cares about wiping out the marines with the time he has left.

The last act has the Impregnated predator and the raging hive on a collision course for the marines and survivors headed to the landing bay.

Anyway I think thats the first fan fiction ive ever written down. Lots of plot holes but they could be addressed.

re-read this and it sounds like a better graphic novel

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

As said in this thread I think one of the keys to success with the AVP formula is to keep it simple. Do a breakdown of what makes the two franchises and the two creatures compelling and interesting at their best, and use that to build interesting confrontations between them.

Personally i'd skip going into any detail on how Predators feel about Aliens  beyond subtextual stuff. Body langauge, behavior. No expositionary stuff about how glorious Aliens are to hunt. Retain mystery.

Instead you should have some, at least, somewhat compelling humans. A mixture of the archetypes found between Alien, Aliens, and Predator. Charming, humorous, working-class humans, maybe some guards or something.

Having the humans be the central focus and not really leaving their perspective whilst having the Alien and Predator dueling around them as they're trying not to get run over would probably work the best to generate effective tension.

I personally want to have the whole thing stripped way back. One Alien. One Predator. A fight to the death. Harsh, and hot, environment Humans that are competent and space-savvy, but ultimately in over their heads.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

I would also like it to be Just one alien vs one predator. Been watching the Tremors series lately, got me thinking why not have it set on a desert world with a small mining colony, a predator ship crashes, the colonists go to investigate, see evidence of a broken Cage and a bloody pilot seat but no bodies, implying the Alien escaped and the Predator got injured in the fight. Now the Predator is off hunting the Alien with colonists stuck in the middle. Most of it should take place at night, and the characters should be a mix of good and bad people like a real western. You'd have plenty of people for the Alien and Predator to kill and most of all, it should not delve into any kind of lore, I'm sick of these movies always trying to expand on these creatures, just go back to basics and shut the hell up about Predator culture and Alien life-cycles....and autism spine juice.

SM

SM

I don't even welcome the second one.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 12, 2020, 12:35:12 AM
I would also like it to be Just one alien vs one predator. Been watching the Tremors series lately, got me thinking why not have it set on a desert world with a small mining colony, a predator ship crashes, the colonists go to investigate, see evidence of a broken Cage and a bloody pilot seat but no bodies, implying the Alien escaped and the Predator got injured in the fight. Now the Predator is off hunting the Alien with colonists stuck in the middle. Most of it should take place at night, and the characters should be a mix of good and bad people like a real western. You'd have plenty of people for the Alien and Predator to kill and most of all, it should not delve into any kind of lore, I'm sick of these movies always trying to expand on these creatures, just go back to basics and shut the hell up about Predator culture and Alien life-cycles....and autism spine juice.

Location-wise a desert landscape makes a lot of sense. Predators like it hot, Alien films that are planet bound have been very consistent in being wastelands. People always want it to be a "jungle planet" because Predator, but I really think the desert would be a better fit. Something African in feel. Make it very primal.

Your idea is interesting. Would that mean the Alien was just a regular Big Chap or was it a Predalien creature? For me, seeing a Jungle Hunter-type Predator take on a Big Chap type Alien is what I want. True to the title. ALIEN vs PREDATOR. Someone posted a tour video of a wax museum, and it literally features a life size Big Chap standing to with a Jungle Hunter Predator... And it made me sad, because that was the childhood dream. To see the two of them duke it out.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 12, 2020, 01:09:43 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 12, 2020, 12:35:12 AM

Location-wise a desert landscape makes a lot of sense. Predators like it hot, Alien films that are planet bound have been very consistent in being wastelands. People always want it to be a "jungle planet" because Predator, but I really think the desert would be a better fit. Something African in feel. Make it very primal.

Your idea is interesting. Would that mean the Alien was just a regular Big Chap or was it a Predalien creature? For me, seeing a Jungle Hunter-type Predator take on a Big Chap type Alien is what I want. True to the title. ALIEN vs PREDATOR. Someone posted a tour video of a wax museum, and it literally features a life size Big Chap standing to with a Jungle Hunter Predator... And it made me sad, because that was the childhood dream. To see the two of them duke it out.

It was a regular Big Chap, I hate the idea that an Alien needs to be some special breed in order to go toe to toe with a predator. He's not called the perfect organism for nothing,

Immortan Jonesy

At most, I would welcome a new sequel to the first AVP. That or an entire reboot.

Yes, as long as you bring in the talent for writing/directing.

My fan fantasy?

Future w/marines trapped in a hive/colony type situation. Instead of rescue they are stumbled upon an experienced predator twin/duo who fight/hunt in tandem making the situation a total nightmare. The preds are not friendly and enjoy the opportunity to get some marine skulls.

The marines/colonists want to get the hell out.

The aliens need hosts.

Probably stupid but thats it right off of the top of my head.

What a neat dea. It doesn't even need to be a third movie, but a soft reboot instead.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 12, 2020, 01:40:43 AM
It was a regular Big Chap, I hate the idea that an Alien needs to be some special breed in order to go toe to toe with a predator. He's not called the perfect organism for nothing,

I agree, absolutely.

What's interesting is that an Alien basically acts as a beautiful counter to a Predator.

The Predator's native vision is infrared. Aliens don't tend to show up in infrared.
Predator's cloaking technology is useless against the Alien.
Predator's shoulder cannon, fuses and cauterizes wounds, meaning that Alien acid blood would be neutralized.
Predator is an incredible hunter, but Alien is very cunning and capable of setting traps.
Both creatures are very durable, honestly on par in both their physical prowess and their heartiness.

Honestly, with a Predalien, I think that should be done in a very different way than it has been done. For as terrified as we are of the Alien ourselves, the Predator should have that same reaction to a Predalien.

Nightmare Asylum

Alien vs Predator feels to me more like a gimmick than a concept with any real potential. I think the most fun it has ever been was the Alien skull in Predator 2, and even that only as a joke rather than something to take seriously.

I don't like the first AVP, outright hated the sequel, and I don't see any concept really reinvigorating my interest in the idea at all.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 12, 2020, 11:55:16 AM
Alien vs Predator feels to me more like a gimmick than a concept with any real potential. I think the most fun it has ever been was the Alien skull in Predator 2, and even that only as a joke rather than something to take seriously.

I don't like the first AVP, outright hated the sequel, and I don't see any concept really reinvigorating my interest in the idea at all.

Except it wasn't done as a joke. It was done as a loving nod to the comic book. That first comic series is proof enough that it is not a gimmick.

The films they did make were not executed well. It's just that simple. Bad films. Not a bad concept.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Agreed

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed