The Batman (2021)

Started by MudButt, Jan 31, 2019, 12:41:53 AM

Author
The Batman (2021) (Read 54,057 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I still maintain that Affleck is the best cinematic Batman we've ever had, but I think WB made a mistake going with the older Frank Miller version.  If this is supposed to be a shared universe with the same kind of longevity as the MCU, they'd better make sure the actors are committed.

RDJ was kind of a fluke for Marvel since his career was in the toilet before he made Iron Man while Affleck's was already in an upswing after The Town, Argo and Gone Girl.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 31, 2019, 07:21:55 PM
I still maintain that Affleck is the best cinematic Batman we've ever had, but I think WB made a mistake of going with the older Frank Miller version.  If this is supposed to be a shared universe with the same kind of longevity as the MCU, they'd better make sure the actors are committed.

RDJ was kind of a fluke for Marvel since his career was in the toilet before he made Iron Man while Affleck's was already in an upswing after The Town, Argo and Gone Girl.

Affleck was great. That warehouse scene in BvS is the best Batman scene we've ever had. He deserved better movies. You're right though. WB should have built towards the Frank Miller version. There's so much history with the Affleck character that was hinted at. Hopefully with the new movie we will get a look into some of what was hinted at but it looks more and more like they're going to try and stay away from the Snyder films.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It's also weird that in Man of Steel, Superman existing is this huge deal, but by BvS (and Suicide Squad by extension), super powered and or costumed bad guys have been a thing for decades.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I imagine that costumed heroes and villains were mostly baseline human freaks in the DCEU prior to the appearance of Superman, who was clearly an alien with godlike powers.

Given his previous work on Watchmen, I think Snyder regarded Superman as the DCEU equivalent of Dr. Manhattan and was therefore a huge paradigm shift for the entire world.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 31, 2019, 07:36:37 PM
I imagine that costumed heroes and villains were mostly baseline human freaks in the DCEU prior to the appearance of Superman, who was clearly an alien with godlike powers.

Given his previous work on Watchmen, I think Snyder regarded Superman as the DCEU equivalent of Dr. Manhattan and was therefore a huge paradigm shift for the entire world.

Yeah, perhaps the more superpowered individuals were mostly in the shadows before Superman showed up and it inspired them to be out in the limelight.

This means that The Batman should probably only include the non-powered villains. It's been heavily rumored that The Penguin is going to be the villain in Reeves' movie.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It would be very nice to see Penguin done right. What I saw of him in Gotham wasn't far off, though.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: MudButt on Jan 31, 2019, 07:54:37 PM

Yeah, perhaps the more superpowered individuals were mostly in the shadows before Superman showed up and it inspired them to be out in the limelight.

I also imagine that someone like Amanda Waller knew far more about metahumans than someone like Jonathan Kent did.  Hell, she's practically the DCEU equivalent of Nick Fury.  She may have been well aware of the existence of Wonder Woman and Aquaman long before Superman made his first appearance to the world.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

She was also the Nick Fury of the aborted GLCU. :laugh:

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 31, 2019, 08:10:42 PM
Quote from: MudButt on Jan 31, 2019, 07:54:37 PM

I also imagine that someone like Amanda Waller knew far more about metahumans than someone like Jonathan Kent did.  Hell, she's practically the DCEU equivalent of Nick Fury.  She may have been well aware of the existence of Wonder Woman and Aquaman long before Superman made his first appearance to the world.

She does give Bruce Wayne files on The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg at the end of Suicide Squad. She's probably been doing her best to keep things under wraps.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 31, 2019, 08:04:57 PM
It would be very nice to see Penguin done right. What I saw of him in Gotham wasn't far off, though.

We should be getting casting news soon according to Reeves.

I wonder if we'll hang on to J.K. Simmons and Jeremy Irons. I would hope so.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It would be such a waste if all Simmons got to do was walk across a room and stand on a roof. At least Irons had some good scenes and lines.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 31, 2019, 08:22:45 PM
It would be such a waste if all Simmons got to do was walk across a room and stand on a roof. At least Irons had some good scenes and lines.

Absolutely it would. It's such a great casting too. It's so crazy that we had Gary Oldman as Gordon and it'd be a shame to lose an actor like J.K. Simmons.

Irons has had a few good lines. Let's keep it going! I always love the idea of having an Alfred who at one point could have been Batman.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The casting has never been a problem for the DCEU.  Even Jesse Eisenberg has the potential to be a good Lex Luthor, so long as they avoid depicting him as a hipster doofus in the future.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 31, 2019, 09:17:20 PM
The casting has never been a problem for the DCEU.  Even Jesse Eisenberg has the potential to be a good Lex Luthor, so long as they avoid depicting him as a hipster doofus in the future.

Yeah, the Superman franchise is in a rut right now unfortunately so I doubt we'll be seeing him back anytime soon unfortunately.

Currently DC has 2 live-action films a year with Shazam and Joker this year, Wonder Woman 84 and BOP in 2020, and The Batman and The Suicide Squad in 2021.

I am interested to see what they do with their Standalone films outside the continuity like Joker if it turns out to be a huge hit. Maybe we get a third movie in one of those years. I think 2019 is going to be a big deal for DC going forward because these movies are essentially part of the new regime of focusing on the characters instead of building a universe. Birds of Prey will be a big clue as to how DC is going to handle things going forward since they just started filming it. It's going to show us if WB is going to meddle with production or allow the creators to make a great movie.

The Old One

The Old One

They'll need to scrap it all if they want to distinguish this from the failed DC-CU, or at least if they're totally abandoning it, expect that to be their mentality. J.K Simmons should be playing J.Jonah Jameson regardless.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 31, 2019, 09:28:58 PM
They'll need to scrap it all if they want to distinguish this from the failed DC-CU, or at least if they're totally abandoning it, expect that to be their mentality. J.K Simmons should be playing J.Jonah Jameson regardless.

I don't think they're scrapping it but they're definitely straying from the direction Snyder was heading into. Focusing on solo films first and establishing the characters instead of rushing a team up movie. Aquaman's success will show them people will see the solo films if they're different and show people something we've never seen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed