Aliens vs. Predator Requiem Retrospective, A Chat with Liam O'Donnell - AvPGalaxy Podcast #60

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 15, 2017, 11:50:29 AM

Author
Aliens vs. Predator Requiem Retrospective, A Chat with Liam O'Donnell - AvPGalaxy Podcast #60 (Read 19,010 times)

SizzyBubbles

I really enjoyed listening to this podcast. I feel like so little is known about the production of this film as it's not very popular... it was really cool to hear all these behind the scenes tid-bits! I am so informed!

SM

As someone who has ragged on AvP:R, this podcast made me want to go watch it again (for reasons other than research).  In the vitriol heaped on pieces of art, it's easy to forget that there are real people working extremely hard to make it.  And they're not blind to the faults, and we're not aware of the restrictions they have to work under.  And of course the Strauses aren't going to blame all the problems of AvP:R on Fox - if they want to continue their careers.

Similar to the interview with Marc Cerasini, this podcast should be called 'Perspective'.  I don't think reviewing AvP:R will make me think it's a good flick, but after some of the things he talked about, I want to have another look.  I already had another look at the striker scenes to see if there was any trace left of Kendra and Curtis.  ;D

I was aware of Crom during his time here, but my dealings with him were limited.  He seemed pretty cool which is understatement after listening to this.  I really hope Beyond Skyline does well for him.

And on top of that it really helped that Hicks and Ridgetop had done their homework in watching the film again and reviewing the script.  Sure beats the days when I used to cut the podcast and I'd be shouting in futility at the computer when someone can't remember some bit of information.  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2018, 04:22:40 AM
As someone who has ragged on AvP:R, this podcast made me want to go watch it again (for reasons other than research).  In the vitriol heaped on pieces of art, it's easy to forget that there are real people working extremely hard to make it.  And they're not blind to the faults, and we're not aware of the restrictions they have to work under.  And of course the Strauses aren't going to blame all the problems of AvP:R on Fox - if they want to continue their careers.

Similar to the interview with Marc Cerasini, this podcast should be called 'Perspective'.  I don't think reviewing AvP:R will make me think it's a good flick, but after some of the things he talked about, I want to have another look.  I already had another look at the striker scenes to see if there was any trace left of Kendra and Curtis.  ;D

It really is easy to forget about the people working on the film. It's so easy to just think of the director or writer as the spearheads.

QuoteI was aware of Crom during his time here, but my dealings with him were limited.  He seemed pretty cool which is understatement after listening to this.  I really hope Beyond Skyline does well for him.

Me too. While there were aspects of the original Skyline I liked, over all I wasn't a massive fan. However, all the reviews for Beyond have me really interested. I wanted to catch it in the cinema but didn't find a showing over here. I have ordered the Blu-ray, though. Liam was a really great guest and I'm so pleased this one all came together like it did.

QuoteAnd on top of that it really helped that Hicks and Ridgetop had done their homework in watching the film again and reviewing the script.  Sure beats the days when I used to cut the podcast and I'd be shouting in futility at the computer when someone can't remember some bit of information.  ;)

I remember the comic episodes where you had to insert an "editors note" for a comic I couldn't remember the title of.  :laugh: I'd like to think we've come a long way over the years since you edited these and we recorded sporadically. Always make sure we do plenty of research. Unfortunately, I'm always going to be shit with remembering names and titles. Just something I'm awful at. I'm pretty proud of the last couple of years worth of episodes.

Glad you seemed to have enjoyed it.  :)

SM

I did.  I listened to the ADF one too and that also showed a lot of research with you and Shevvy.

Those are the only two I've listened since my editing days and they're a big improvement.  Much more focused and informed.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2018, 10:24:30 AM
Those are the only two I've listened since my editing days and they're a big improvement.  Much more focused and informed.

It's been a good few years. I believe we've improved greatly since then and that's more indicative of the episodes in general now. Thank you for the feedback.  :)

D88M

Ian White did a fine job as the Predator in Requiem, not so much in AVP, maybe because of so much bulk in the suit, but i miss the "alien" feeling that Kevin Peter Hall did

PredBabe

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2018, 04:22:40 AM

I was aware of Crom during his time here, but my dealings with him were limited.  He seemed pretty cool which is understatement after listening to this.  I really hope Beyond Skyline does well for him.

And on top of that it really helped that Hicks and Ridgetop had done their homework in watching the film again and reviewing the script.  Sure beats the days when I used to cut the podcast and I'd be shouting in futility at the computer when someone can't remember some bit of information.  ;)

Well said and agreed.

This was a fun podcast guys, nicely done. I got a kick out of him explaining their wanting to bring Paxton into this movie. lol 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2017, 04:50:18 PM
Quote from: Hyperdyne120-a2 on Dec 15, 2017, 09:50:00 PM
That treatment for avp3 is so close to one I created it's scary!! Man that's weird. Mine ended up with space jockeys coming in at the end and was kind of a Star Wars-esque space battle at the end, along with 2 protags battling a space jockey in the pilot chamber at the end. Even had some sweet Space jockey creature designs which were suuuper creepy. Got the design from a Nightmare I had. Maybe I'll turn it into a comic...

I will have a more detailed write-up of that treatment up at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Ended up being later but I've nearly finished this. An early look at the WIP is up in the Subscribers board currently. We'll also be doing a video on this to go on the YouTube channel to release alongside the article.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed