Abandoned virtual worlds

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Sep 01, 2019, 04:59:55 PM

Author
Abandoned virtual worlds (Read 3,213 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I only found these three, I wonder if there are more active but abandoned virtual worlds: Active Worlds (1995), Second Life (2003) and Minions of Mirth (2005).

https://youtu.be/ZpUiiwTGJI4

Naginata

Naginata

Awesome finds! Stuff like this is so interesting to me - it's almost they're giant virtual haunted houses that have been abandoned. I remember watching a video about the last few minutes before The Matrix Online get shut down, and the devs activated God mode for everyone at once, resulting in the virtual world being ripped to shreds and crashing both in and out-of-universe.  ;D

Still, this is a little different - and cooler. Doesn't David Bowie's website have one of these?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 01, 2019, 05:45:34 PM
Awesome finds! Stuff like this is so interesting to me - it's almost they're giant virtual haunted houses that have been abandoned.

Indeed. These forgotten virtual worlds became something like real-world ghost towns. 

Or even a virtual simulation of real life archeology  8)

I remember watching a video about the last few minutes before The Matrix Online get shut down, and the devs activated God mode for everyone at once, resulting in the virtual world being ripped to shreds and crashing both in and out-of-universe.  ;D

Thanks for bringing it. I did a quick search.

Still, this is a little different - and cooler. Doesn't David Bowie's website have one of these?

Wow! I've never heard about that before. I'll check it out later.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I mean, the original Half Life is a game with a fair bit of horror in it (both the unsettling ambient and overt flavours), and the Source engine evolved from it. I think it's as simple as that.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed