Any old workprint collectors still around?

Started by roman1990, Jan 06, 2022, 02:36:07 PM

Author
Any old workprint collectors still around? (Read 3,377 times)

roman1990

roman1990

Hi guys,
I'm Roman, new to the page. Huge fan of the Predator franchise, well only the first 2, but I do have a soft spot for the 2010 film. Anyways, I've heard rumours of a Predator 2 workprint floating around. Anyone out there have this or have any info. Also, any old workprint collectors still around? I can be reached at brucecampbell745@yahoo.com

Happy New Year.

xeno_alpha_07

Hi Roman and welcome.  I recognize your name  :) I collect workprints and alternate TV cuts but it's harder to trade these days due to people uploading them online.  Most traders have what I already have and getting people to trade stuff I don't have or other rare stuff the ever more difficult.  As to the Predator 2 workprint I've been trying to get hold of a copy for years and have had no luck and reached many dead ends.   I hope someone someday makes the Predator 2 workprint available for everyone.  I'm the meantime the search continues.

roman1990

Hi Xeno,
Thank you. Yeah, I heard someone has it but they're long gone. I'm looking for Blade, Replacement Killers, Go, The Faculty etc. Stuff that was beingn passed around in the 1990's that are no longer avaiable. The search does continue.

oduodu

just out of curiosity what normally happens to work print s after a movie is finished?

TC

What is a "workprint collection"?

Quote from: oduodu on Jan 07, 2022, 12:23:30 PM
just out of curiosity what normally happens to work print s after a movie is finished?

Maybe you mean release prints? The release print is owned by the distributor (generally, one of the big studios) and it gets returned to them at the end of its run. When it gets so dirty and scratched that it's unsuited for further distribution it gets recycled as "track spacer". Track spacer is waste film used to fill up the space between the mag-film segments of sound recording put together by film editors and sound editors when making up the reels of soundtrack. I am, of course, referring to the old days of old fashioned (i.e. non-digital) filmmaking.

OTOH maybe you really are referring to workprint. Workprint is also owned by the commissioning studio. At the end of post-production all the out-takes and trims are boxed up and sent into storage in a temperature and humidity controlled vault, alongside all the original camera negative, both neg-matched and not (and other film materials too.) Eventually, if the studio wants to save on storage costs, rather than allow workprint out-takes and trims to fall into the hands of pirates, it will be securely destroyed.

TC

SiL

It's a collection of workprints ??? Many have leaked over the decades and people like to collect them.

They obviously mean workprints and not release prints  :laugh:

TC

I had no idea.

TC

oduodu

Quote from: TC on Jan 08, 2022, 09:02:56 AM
What is a "workprint collection"?

Quote from: oduodu on Jan 07, 2022, 12:23:30 PM

Maybe you mean release prints? The release print is owned by the distributor (generally, one of the big studios) and it gets returned to them at the end of its run. When it gets so dirty and scratched that it's unsuited for further distribution it gets recycled as "track spacer". Track spacer is waste film used to fill up the space between the mag-film segments of sound recording put together by film editors and sound editors when making up the reels of soundtrack. I am, of course, referring to the old days of old fashioned (i.e. non-digital) filmmaking.

OTOH maybe you really are referring to workprint. Workprint is also owned by the commissioning studio. At the end of post-production all the out-takes and trims are boxed up and sent into storage in a temperature and humidity controlled vault, alongside all the original camera negative, both neg-matched and not (and other film materials too.) Eventually, if the studio wants to save on storage costs, rather than allow workprint out-takes and trims to fall into the hands of pirates, it will be securely destroyed.

TC

ty

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed