Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 44,131 times)

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: kie on May 09, 2022, 03:26:45 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 02, 2022, 10:12:26 PMWhile reading I wondered how all you Brits would like the "Best of British" angle (especially the Boris knockoff) lol it seemed a bit over the top  :laugh:

Hi there, first time poster here... I recently got back into the Alien mythos after really enjoying the Alex White novels, which are a definite franchise high point. I'm also familiar with most of the comics and games, and even the recent RPG (excellent).

Was a little bit apprehensive when reading the premise for 'Colony War' and well, my suspicions were sadly valid...

It's enjoyable enough in places with some decent suspense, and the research and tie-ins are well done (although probably too cryptic as others have mentioned).

The main issue is it's just way over the top, not every Brit is a xenophobic dumbo, I mean Ridley Scott created the whole franchise! And don't get me started on the bizarre victorian parlance which sounds more 19th century than 22nd.  "Best of British to you" I had to google it as I have honestly never heard anybody say that in my life!

To sum up, whilst there are some decent ideas and set pieces but the amount of cringe and inconsistency sunk it for me. Not bad, but pretty misguided 6/10

Welcome to the boards Kie! You make some valid points here. It sounds like the British angle is more cringe to Brits than patriotic lol.

I agree on the suspense being decent enough as the majority of scenes with the xenos were beautifully described. As for the tie-ins
Spoiler
I love the character Davis, but making him a cockapoo android was an odd choice.
[close]

If you get a chance check out the author's short story in the anthology "AVP Ultimate Prey" as it's one of the best shorts in the book.

Adamantiumhip

Adamantiumhip

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 02, 2022, 10:12:26 PMWhile reading I wondered how all you Brits would like the "Best of British" angle (especially the Boris knockoff) lol it seemed a bit over the top  :laugh:

Hi there, first time poster here... I recently got back into the Alien mythos after really enjoying the Alex White novels, which are a definite franchise high point. I'm also familiar with most of the comics and games, and even the recent RPG (excellent).

Was a little bit apprehensive when reading the premise for 'Colony War' and well, my suspicions were sadly valid...

It's enjoyable enough in places with some decent suspense, and the research and tie-ins are well done (although probably too cryptic as others have mentioned).

The main issue is it's just way over the top, not every Brit is a xenophobic dumbo, I mean Ridley Scott created the whole franchise! And don't get me started on the bizarre victorian parlance which sounds more 19th century than 22nd.  "Best of British to you" I had to google it as I have honestly never heard anybody say that in my life!

To sum up, whilst there are some decent ideas and set pieces but the amount of cringe and inconsistency sunk it for me. Not bad, but pretty misguided 6/10

it was taking the piss out of brexit. It was far too silly to take seriously

it was taking the piss out of brexit. It was far too silly to take seriously

kie

kie

Quoteit was taking the piss out of brexit. It was far too silly to take seriously

Yeah, my thoughts exactly

May 11, 2022, 10:30:14 PM

QuoteIf you get a chance check out the author's short story in the anthology "AVP Ultimate Prey" as it's one of the best shorts in the book.

Thanks Xiggz456, I'll check that  8)

Adamantiumhip

Adamantiumhip

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 10, 2022, 12:03:18 PM

Welcome to the boards Kie! You make some valid points here. It sounds like the British angle is more cringe to Brits than patriotic lol.

I agree on the suspense being decent enough as the majority of scenes with the xenos were beautifully described. As for the tie-ins
Spoiler
I love the character Davis, but making him a cockapoo android was an odd choice.
[close]

If you get a chance check out the author's short story in the anthology "AVP Ultimate Prey" as it's one of the best shorts in the book.

It was more cringe than anything.

it seems like they forced a brexit type scenario in there and it doesnt feel serious at all and hurts the story.

I also feel like the main story is basically a retelling of alien mashed with aliens. So many scenes basically directly taken from the movies

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's how the Brexit situation is handled. Thoughts on the entire real thing aside, there's a place for separatist stories in science-fiction and it being relevant and recent is perfect - sci-fi is the place for social commentary after all. But it needs to be nuanced and intelligent. 3WExit is neither.

The problem is it's a parody. And it's one-sided. I'm not one to really share my political opinions as I can't be arsed with people shouting theirs at me, but I sat on the same side of that yes/no vote as Barnett obviously did. And jfc if Barnett isn't determined to paint everyone on that other side as a clown. There's no exploration of the benefits or detractions of that question. Everyone is just a caricature of a raging racist Brit - aside from that one taxi driver, if I remember rightly?

And when the story does stop trying to just rip the shit out of leavers and take itself more seriously, it's just a boring retread. Seen this all before.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2022, 07:04:01 AMIt's how the Brexit situation is handled. Thoughts on the entire real thing aside, there's a place for separatist stories in science-fiction and it being relevant and recent is perfect - sci-fi is the place for social commentary after all. But it needs to be nuanced and intelligent. 3WExit is neither.

The problem is it's a parody. And it's one-sided. I'm not one to really share my political opinions as I can't be arsed with people shouting theirs at me, but I sat on the same side of that yes/no vote as Barnett obviously did. And jfc if Barnett isn't determined to paint everyone on that other side as a clown. There's no exploration of the benefits or detractions of that question. Everyone is just a caricature of a raging racist Brit - aside from that one taxi driver, if I remember rightly?

And when the story does stop trying to just rip the shit out of leavers and take itself more seriously, it's just a boring retread. Seen this all before.

I recall Alex White mentioning that either Titan or 20th Century wanted the stories to move more towards political conflicts a'la "The Expanse" and they set up such a conflict with "Into Charybdis". But as you said 3WExit is not nearly nuanced enough. It's far too on the nose and I think the scale is a bit too small for an interstellar conflict. Hopefully "Inferno's Fall" does a better job.

Fingers crossed for the podcast lol

kie

kie

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2022, 07:04:01 AMThe problem is it's a parody. And it's one-sided. I'm not one to really share my political opinions as I can't be arsed with people shouting theirs at me, but I sat on the same side of that yes/no vote as Barnett obviously did. And jfc if Barnett isn't determined to paint everyone on that other side as a clown. There's no exploration of the benefits or detractions of that question. Everyone is just a caricature of a raging racist Brit - aside from that one taxi driver, if I remember rightly?

Yeah, you nailed it Hicks... I'm the of the same persuasion as yourself and Barnett, but the broad strokes he used painting everybody as Sun reading, French hating bigots was just way over the top, and dated.

There were moments when I thought it was about to get going, but then it just reverted to type.

I actually listened to the Audiobook, and another thing I found strange was a kind of weird time-stretching where characters engaged in long existential conversations with Alien maws just inches away. Found it a bit cheesy, and took me out of the book.

Adamantiumhip

Adamantiumhip

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2022, 07:04:01 AMIt's how the Brexit situation is handled. Thoughts on the entire real thing aside, there's a place for separatist stories in science-fiction and it being relevant and recent is perfect - sci-fi is the place for social commentary after all. But it needs to be nuanced and intelligent. 3WExit is neither.

100% correct on all counts.

If it was more subtle but serious maybe it might have worked but it isnt. Its just boring and not particularly clever parody in a series thats supposed to be serious and intense.

May 13, 2022, 07:11:30 PM

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 12, 2022, 05:29:45 PM

I recall Alex White mentioning that either Titan or 20th Century wanted the stories to move more towards political conflicts a'la "The Expanse" and they set up such a conflict with "Into Charybdis". But as you said 3WExit is not nearly nuanced enough. It's far too on the nose and I think the scale is a bit too small for an interstellar conflict. Hopefully "Inferno's Fall" does a better job.

Fingers crossed for the podcast lol

The political scenario in alexs book seemed far more intriguing and serious

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Hi there. Late to the conversation. But will there be a podcast review on this? If there is, I honestly can't wait to hear it! Those are always fun, even if they're downers.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh, and before I forget!
Spoiler
f**king rat Alien????
[close]
Come on. Stupid.

Now to actually write a review for this. I've still not decided on whether or not to do a podcast review on this. I'm feeling a severe lack of enthusiasm at the minute.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

At this point, I don't blame you. I feel like, as I've mentioned on Facebook, that without any meaningful stakes for the writers to play with, I feel like the franchise might stagnate if it hasn't already.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 16, 2022, 09:47:54 AMI've still not decided on whether or not to do a podcast review on this. I'm feeling a severe lack of enthusiasm at the minute.

Podcast, but I recommend drinking heavily first.  Let the F-bombs flow.

Kradan

Kradan

Maybe Corporal should've just had ice cream instead

kie

kie

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on May 16, 2022, 10:08:41 AMAt this point, I don't blame you. I feel like, as I've mentioned on Facebook, that without any meaningful stakes for the writers to play with, I feel like the franchise might stagnate if it hasn't already.

Kinda hoping / presuming Alex White will return and pen a third, he seems to be able to push things forward...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'll probably start this one tomorrow. It seems like it may be kinda trashy going by the handful of reviews I've glanced at, but I also know my history of liking EU material nobody else likes. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed