Prometheus at San Diego Comic Con

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 21, 2011, 11:24:50 PM

Author
Prometheus at San Diego Comic Con (Read 33,072 times)

Kol

Kol

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jul 22, 2011, 01:19:21 PM
Quote from: 8bitAngel on Jul 22, 2011, 01:06:44 PM
Yeaaaah... I don't want any magical stuff in this. There are alot of reasons why he could bleed red.

Flashlights would seem like magic to someone in the middle ages ... so the jockeys tech should invoke a sense of awe with some degree of traceability in the logic. 

If they did create the human race they would be impressed at the human's version of 'artificial life' and it would be a great show to have them 'perfect' a synthetic. Opens up all sorts of acting and emoting possibilities for Michael Fassbender too. A good roll suddenly becomes ripe and juicy ... not to mention challenging.

who said that the jockey's had created man? they are terraformers, like the colonists in hadley's hope (technology seemed to be from the jockey's).
scott only mentioned that the beginning of the movie will take place on earth which is very at the beginning of it's development/evolution. maybe the space jockey's had fix the climatic state of earth to give birth to any lifeform that could evolve on earth. and the beginning of earth & appearance of man aren't at the same time. to be fair you could say their technology had made the possibility to evolve dinosaurs, animals, man etc. pp.

what we know is that this movie will import the idea of 'prä-astronautik', but tell me: how do you feel, when you're looking alien and see the jockey of the derelict ship, will you accept him as god?

i think the members of the ship prometheus, will be a specific factor for the formula of making an alien...

Lonely Universe

I like Kol's way of thinking. I don't want the Jockeys to be so advanced they can just grab an android for a few hours and make him a man. What if Fassbender is playing two parts? One as a man and another as his synth replica? Maybe he's the guy that created the androids and he modeled one after himself or something. To me the Jockeys are more fallible than that. The only time we've encountered one it had been deaded. It got got just like us. Not so God-like if you ask me.

Yeah, they're def terraformers. Engineers of space and what-not. It makes sense they would be highly advanced but shit, even a highly advanced species would require alot of time to study the physical makeup of an android in order to suddenly make that android a real human. Not to mention that idea is stupid, that the Jockeys just fly around space with android to human transmogrification machines on all thier ships just in case they need to impress some humans? Nah, I don't buy it. And if the movie pulls any of that touch him with a glowing finger and he's a real boy crap I'll walk out.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jul 21, 2011, 11:45:48 PM
Everything was money up until I heard PG-13.

Ridley Scott + HR Giger + PG-13...

^ what's wrong with this picture?

Remember that the original Alien had very to little no onscreen deaths apart from the chestburster scene, it all added to the mistery and fearfulness of the original alien. It's only untill aliens onward that the series became more bloody.

Edit: And anyway Directors cut versions of Scotss movies tend to be totaly differen't movies to that of the original. Legend had 20 miniutes more footage in it, and its original soundtrack back into the movie, to the point where its a vastly differen't movie. And Kingdom of Heaven i was shocked how better the directors cut version was so much better. The original movie always made me think that i had a botched dvd with scenes missing because half of the movie never made sense.

Bat Chain Puller

Whether or not the Jockeys had a hand in creating man specifically, or not ... there will be way more to them than just terraforming. The very name Prometheus recalls 'stealing power from the Gods' ... and that power won't be 'terraforming' in terms of planet prep. There will also be something to do with life itself. Other wise you couldn't consider them Gods, but Intergalactic Bus Boys who just clean the table for the next customer.

Fassbender playing two parts sounds too derivative for Ridley at this point. I rooting for the Machine becomes Human angle. How they do it will just icing on the cake. I trust that it won't be a simple touch. The concept is fascinating. And not really a stretch considering man for all intents and purposes is already a bio-mechanical 'machine.'

Quote from: Guts on Jul 22, 2011, 07:01:54 PM
And anyway Directors cut versions of Scotss movies tend to be totaly differen't movies to that of the original. Legend had 20 miniutes more footage in it, and its original soundtrack back into the movie, to the point where its a vastly differen't movie. And Kingdom of Heaven i was shocked how better the directors cut version was so much better. The original movie always made me think that i had a botched dvd with scenes missing because half of the movie never made sense.

Those changes had little or nothing to do with mature content, but running time. Scott's biggest challenge will be the running time. Stories need time to build, breathe, grow ... and two hours is pretty short when you are creating a whole new world to play in.

Hell-Scorpion

The more I seem to learn about this film, the more it seems to piss me off...

azrael55

azrael55

i find it a bit odd, that almost everybody seemed to like the concept of a human being morphed into an alien egg but when it comes to turning an android into something that resembles a real person so many people seem to totally reject the idea. yeah, i mean there is certainly a difference as the egg was organic matter and an android is not or at least not fully, but that might not be of any importance for the kind of technology that the space jockeys have available. anyway, i'm sure that ridley scott wouldn't make the whole thing come across as some kind of pinochio story...

anyway, i like that the android aspects of the story seem to be really important - as i think fassbender is probably the best actor besides rapace in that movie and i'm looking forward to seeing some amazing performances in prometheus.

Abe

Abe

Quote•Ridley Scott comments on the long wait for his return to science-fiction: "I was busy doing other movies and exploring other genres and, frankly, I never thought about sci-fi until I realized there was something in the first Alien that no one ever asked a question about. In the next one, still no exploration of that big question, so maybe that can be the centerpiece of what we just complete.  But we've decided to go a complete other direction... In the last few minutes of the movie... you'll actually understand what I'm talking about . "

The last sentence has made me really want to wach this film now (Along with everything else aswell). ;D

Kol

Kol

Quote from: azrael55 on Jul 24, 2011, 08:20:19 AM
i find it a bit odd, that almost everybody seemed to like the concept of a human being morphed into an alien egg but when it comes to turning an android into something that resembles a real person so many people seem to totally reject the idea. yeah, i mean there is certainly a difference as the egg was organic matter and an android is not or at least not fully, but that might not be of any importance for the kind of technology that the space jockeys have available. anyway, i'm sure that ridley scott wouldn't make the whole thing come across as some kind of pinochio story...

so i think, we will see an android becoming more human-like, but we don't know how.
with a spoken  magic spell? manipulating via TV? serious now: filling the androids veins with blood of another member? just speculations over speculations. but, it's fun!
why would the jockey's just terrify the crew member, scare the living shit out of them and then take them back to earth?  :laugh:

to be honest to you: i don't care much about this "detail". i will let them surprising me, but i got one thing on my mind..

- surely they will explain about the origins of the space jockeys, maybe even the particular one, and it's ship from 'alien'.

- we will see how they terraform planets and how the company get use of this technology and how it became developed in 'aliens'.

- my own sentence: what if when the jockeys will use one or two members of the crew to create an pre-version of an alien?
at least they would use one android to create it the way we know the alien.
maybe it will be a first 'cocooning' of people/androids to make an alien.

Lonely Universe

I figured it out. Human\Xeno\Android centipede. But the question remains... what order?

Never say no to Panda!

Well i dont want to be the one in front of the Alien...inner mouth  :-[

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jul 22, 2011, 08:20:22 PM
Whether or not the Jockeys had a hand in creating man specifically, or not ... there will be way more to them than just terraforming. The very name Prometheus recalls 'stealing power from the Gods' ... and that power won't be 'terraforming' in terms of planet prep. There will also be something to do with life itself. Other wise you couldn't consider them Gods, but Intergalactic Bus Boys who just clean the table for the next customer.

Hmm, in Greek Kythology, Prometheus was responsible for creating mankind

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jul 24, 2011, 02:32:24 PM

It really depends on the interpretation, Ridley could be following any of the many interpretations.

Deuterium

Quote from: azrael55 on Jul 24, 2011, 08:20:19 AM

anyway, i like that the android aspects of the story seem to be really important - as i think fassbender is probably the best actor besides rapace in that movie and i'm looking forward to seeing some amazing performances in prometheus.

As to the question of turning an android (or Replicant) from the Alien (Bladerunner) universe into a human...I would argue "what is the point".  I mean, both of these "synthetic" life-forms appear not only to be sentient and intelligent, but fully self-aware, concious, and self reflective beings.  It also appears they have a moral existence (e.g. Batty or Bishop).  They already have all the attributes of being "human".  The only difference is from a physiological/biological standpoint.  In fact, one might even argue that they are post-human, and in fact superior to true Homo sapiens.  Putting aside the limited life-time of Bladerunner's Replicants, I am not sure that either Bishop or a Batty would consider it an improvement if they were somehow turned into a "true" human.

Kol

Kol

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jul 24, 2011, 02:32:24 PM

and animals!

BUT he stole the fire of zeus and did one big mistake: when it was on people to sacrifice a bull, prometheus did two batches, both covered with the leathern skin of the animal to hide what's inside. the bigger one, chosen by zeus was only a fake, coz it we're only full of bones and intestines. and the other one, left for the humans had the delicious meat in it.

zeus knew that, but would annihilate prometheus for that betrayal.
the rest with the vulture that is feeding on prometheus stomach is (myth)history...

ha, maybe the particular member of the ship who steal the technology will also get punished with this:

that would be a reversed but cool conclusion to this plot, coz it would fit to the myth literarily.

ThisBethesdaSea

Human genetically manipulated into other biological material is at least plausible. Turning metal into living tissue is quite another leap entirely.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed