The Cinemacon Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2018, 03:37:39 PM

Author
The Cinemacon Thread (Read 73,376 times)

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

I think that most of these shocking ideas are from Fred Dekker's head. Honestly, this is my only explanation. Robocop 3 is a nice example of how bad writer the Dekker really is, everytime when I hear his name I have bad taste in my mouth. Dear God.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

I only really watched Monster Squad. And besides 80's cheesiness, there was little that I actually liked about it. Robocop 3 I only have vague impressions of.

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

skull-splitter - Well, first Robocop is masterpiece, I love it, Robocop 2 is okey, but not so good as original and Robocop 3 is absolute disaster, its a trash thanks to Dekker and all his silly ideas, he ruined it totally. I dont understand why Shane choose him as a film partner. I never watched Monster Squad, but I dont feel its a "must see" movie, maybe that I will give that a chance, if its the only good thing that Dekker ever made. Sorry, I just dont trust this guy.

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

Fred Dekker was director of Robocop 3, this is what he said about his movie. Its available on the Wikipedia. // In retrospect, the director, Fred Dekker said: "There's a misconception about this movie that the studio steamrolled me into doing something I wasn't comfortable with. The truth is, anything wrong with it is entirely my fault. I had a great cast, a great crew, the support of my producers and the studio, and some of the greatest special effects wizards of all time. I think it really comes down to the script. It was a story by the brilliant Frank Miller, who wrote the first draft—but in the final analysis, it was the wrong story and the wrong script for what an audience wanted from that character. The PG-13 rating didn't help, since the character's first two outings were extremely violent and satirical, and that's really the arena that character belongs in—not a 'family' movie."[15] He also said: "Nonetheless, RoboCop 3 was the most enjoyable movie-making experience I've had and, for me, the most accomplished work I've done as a director. In other words, if the movie blows, there's nobody to blame but me."

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

Spoiler

There's nothing wrong with a bit of 80s cheese, IMO. Look at Stranger Things; captured the 80s vibe/nostalgia perfectly.

The problem with Dekker's script is that it's like it was written in the 80s and then just updated with tech references and/or planes and choppers names/models. The whole idea is staid. It's like they've gone:

"Hmmm... What do we think is wrong with the World and how can we push that into a film about an extra-terrestrial who hunts humans for sport? I KNOW! Climate change - BOOM! GM Stuff - BOOM! Dick jokes - BOOM! Oh and, while we're at it, let's f**k with what made the first film a classic - BOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Imagine that concept but in 1989 - and that's how the script feels.

[close]

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Yeah I mean this is the same Fred Dekker that played down the original predator film and said he didn't like it as it was too simple. ( or something on those lines ) so if he didn't like the original what the hell are fox doing leaving him in charge of doing the script ? Is there any wonder why we are not liking where this is all going ? If he didn't like the original, how can he appreciate and understand the character he is now writing about ? It's absurd    ???

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: Petr Švancara on May 03, 2018, 07:53:54 PM
Xerxész - Thank you for your answer, Im glad you write. This is really ugly, I was thinking that they lost their weapons and stuff, and that our "friendly" military give them our own guns and clothes or something (even this sounds beyond bad) but now it seems that they are acting like it was their own choice. I can accept Predator shooting from human weapons only if that will be the rogue Predator that doesnt look on honor, you know the bad Predator that do whatever he wants, but this is BS. Do you remember that moment from P2, in slaughterhouse when the Predator destroyed Harrigan's shotgun? Damn, that was cool. I think that Shane Black wants to kill me. . me, or the entire Franchise.  :'(

You are welcome, man! :)
I've read the relevant part of the script again, and really no reason why using human equipment.
Spoiler
At least they also have their plasmacasters:

"THE TWO PREDATORS
Each armed with an M60 machine gun in one hand, a plasma-caster in the other. Ready to fight alongside our heroes."
[close]

I really hope that at least the most retarding parts of the script is rewritten, but I'm afraid it's not. We'll see.

Actually there are some minor changes already we know from the trailer descriptions:
Spoiler
- laser dots: missing from script, being in the trailer
- glaive-looking weapon: missing from the script, being in the trailer (note: in a trailer description I've read that there is a 'boomerang-like' Predator weapon soaked with blood...I think it was on Joblo. I wonder if these 2 mentioned weapons are the same)
- Peter Keyes' son: missing from the script, displayed on IMDb (maybe Dutch's cameo was replaced with this)
[close]

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

Xerxész - Wait, so it that means that they have their plasmacasters, right? But, the way how exactly you decribe it tells me that they hold it with their hands. Its weird, plasmacasters belong to their shoulders. This seems to copy the idea from AVP2 when the Wolf Predator used his plasma as a pistol in one hand. Or maybe that I just dont understand that properly? Boomerang-like weapon? It could be the classic throwing disc from P2, but I guess its something else, something new. Once again, thank you for your answer.

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

Also, as a collector. I found and interesting fact. For years, Im collecting the Predator figures from NECA. And now I found that NECA has announced their new figure, its the Predator figure from the upcoming Shane Black movie! But the interesting fact is, that they announced only one Predator figure, isnt that weird? I mean, the movie itself contains a lot of new Predator characters, at least 4. So, why they created only one figure? Is that the proof that they dont want spend too much money on it? Is that a proof that the whole marketing is really low? Of corse that you cant see that figure at this moment, the description says that the design of that figure will be revealed after the movie official release. But its interesting that this movie will produce only one figure from the NECA toys. Previously, the Predators convinced NECA to produce all their movie characters, Berserker, Falconer, Tracker and even battle damaged Classic Predator. All the sites where you can buy various figures offer only one product from this film. I dont think that they will later create more of them. When there was Alien Covenant, NECA announced a few products from that film, all at the same time. At this momemt, I dont even know if I have any interest to buy that, It could be the captured Predator figure or the Hybrid Predator figure, who knows.

goose_3387

goose_3387

Quote from: Petr Švancara on May 04, 2018, 09:12:21 AM
Also, as a collector. I found and interesting fact. For years, Im collecting the Predator figures from NECA. And now I found that NECA has announced their new figure, its the Predator figure from the upcoming Shane Black movie! But the interesting fact is, that they announced only one Predator figure, isnt that weird? I mean, the movie itself contains a lot of new Predator characters, at least 4. So, why they created only one figure? Is that the proof that they dont want spend too much money on it? Is that a proof that the whole marketing is really low? Of corse that you cant see that figure at this moment, the description says that the design of that figure will be revealed after the movie official release. But its interesting that this movie will produce only one figure from the NECA toys. Previously, the Predators convinced NECA to produce all their movie characters, Berserker, Falconer, Tracker and even battle damaged Classic Predator. All the sites where you can buy various figures offer only one product from this film. I dont think that they will later create more of them. When there was Alien Covenant, NECA announced a few products from that film, all at the same time. At this momemt, I dont even know if I have any interest to buy that, It could be the captured Predator figure or the Hybrid Predator figure, who knows.

Don't read too much into it. Funko are releasing 4 Pops from the movie. NECA will make more than 1 Predator in the long run.

Be more worried as to why there's still no trailer for the actual movie yet/ no marketing/ reshoots/ delayed release dates...

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: Petr Švancara on May 04, 2018, 08:51:07 AM
Xerxész - Wait, so it that means that they have their plasmacasters, right? But, the way how exactly you decribe it tells me that they hold it with their hands. Its weird, plasmacasters belong to their shoulders. This seems to copy the idea from AVP2 when the Wolf Predator used his plasma as a pistol in one hand. Or maybe that I just dont understand that properly? Boomerang-like weapon? It could be the classic throwing disc from P2, but I guess its something else, something new. Once again, thank you for your answer.

Yeah, it seems that those plasmacasters are hand-held, similar to Wolf's in AvPR.

I don't know what weapon could that 'boomerang-like' thing be.
The script only mentions the Shuriken and the Combi-stick but that's all.

Quote from: Petr Švancara on May 04, 2018, 09:12:21 AM
It could be the captured Predator figure or the Hybrid Predator figure, who knows.

Most likely it will be the Upgrade.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

I'm glad the combi stick is back as that's predator staple to me. I'm sure the shoulder plasma will make some sort of an appearance, I'd be disappointed if not. My big gripe with this film is predators talking , they were supposed to just mimic it's prey , full blown conversations are just over the top. I blame Fred Dekker for how this is turning out , as I said yesterday , the guy slated the original as being too simple and he didn't like it, it absolutely baffles me fox gave him the role to pen the script when he had already been on record saying he didn't like the original. How can he respect and understand the source material if he doesn't like it ? It's simple maths .

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

Xerxész - This is weird, I was thinking that Shuriken is exclusive for the AVP dimension. How can Shane or Dekker use this things in separated Predator Franchise? Jugding by all the crazy things, the Shuriken is not that crazy as Predator's pants for example, but still is this mean that this new movie will try to connect AVP with the rest of the Franchise? Damn, there should be the classic throwing disk instead of Shuriken, dont you think? This is bad, AVP is now mixing with everything else? BS, now I hate this film even more. Iam super angry jusg because of it, I dont have anything against Shuriken, but it doesnt belong here.

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 04, 2018, 11:08:52 AM
I'm glad the combi stick is back as that's predator staple to me. I'm sure the shoulder plasma will make some sort of an appearance, I'd be disappointed if not.

Remember, it's an early script...we can't be sure the combi-stick will be in the final film. In addition, it is only put in McKenna's backpack but never used...according to the script. Same goes to the shuriken.

Quote from: Petr Švancara on May 04, 2018, 11:34:30 AM
Xerxész - This is weird, I was thinking that Shuriken is exclusive for the AVP dimension. How can Shane or Dekker use this things in separated Predator Franchise?

As I wrote above, it's not the final script. Or it is...we can not know for now. :)
What we know for sure is that we have a new weapon, this glaive- and/or boomerang-like thing. ;)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on May 03, 2018, 09:08:48 PM
Spoiler

There's nothing wrong with a bit of 80s cheese, IMO. Look at Stranger Things; captured the 80s vibe/nostalgia perfectly.

The problem with Dekker's script is that it's like it was written in the 80s and then just updated with tech references and/or planes and choppers names/models. The whole idea is staid. It's like they've gone:

"Hmmm... What do we think is wrong with the World and how can we push that into a film about an extra-terrestrial who hunts humans for sport? I KNOW! Climate change - BOOM! GM Stuff - BOOM! Dick jokes - BOOM! Oh and, while we're at it, let's f**k with what made the first film a classic - BOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Imagine that concept but in 1989 - and that's how the script feels.

[close]

I think the main "message" of the script is more about human nature being dangerous and destructive, as they talk about the upgrade becoming more "human", thus becoming less honorable and more of a destructive creature with less morals, like humans.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed