Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 74,262 times)

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

I got to ask a question when did the alien franchise had a political message like some people in the comments are saying the only alien moive that I guess could have a political message was aliens which was an allegory for the Vietnam war but thats about it

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Bug hunt wilson on Oct 26, 2020, 06:04:51 PM
I got to ask a question when did the alien franchise had a political message like some people in the comments are saying the only alien moive that I guess could have a political message was aliens which was an allegory for the Vietnam war but thats about it

This has been established over and over again on the last few pages. To reiterate:

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 24, 2020, 05:09:03 PM
Alien is all about the employees of big corporate entity being stripped of their rights and sent down to survey a signal under forfeiture of shares for work that they had already completed, with their lives quite literally put on the line in order to preserve a specimen for the company. If that isn't saying anything about workers rights in a corporate workspace, I don't really know what is.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Dachande on Oct 26, 2020, 03:25:41 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Oct 26, 2020, 03:23:24 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 26, 2020, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: Bug hunt wilson on Oct 26, 2020, 02:28:59 PM
that one thing old marvel knew to do well be subtle about it

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 26, 2020, 03:12:41 PM
Old Marvel wasn't subtle

https://i.ibb.co/NFYy3KN/61-Bs-Ri-Am-DFL-SX338-BO1-204-203-200.jpg

Old DC either

https://i.ibb.co/S5yCbwh/Captain-nazi.jpg

And we can't forget old Disney  :laugh:

https://i.ibb.co/LxB2YRF/Der-Fuehrer-s-Face-poster.jpg

Is it me or most of these examples were spawned during WWII ? What about 50s, 60s, 70s and so on ?

The Hate-Monger issue came out in 1963

Aye, and check it out this one from 1974.

Quote from: The VergeIn 1974, America was gripped by the Watergate scandal, as President Richard Nixon was accused of criminal acts involving breaking-and-entering and a subsequent cover-up. At the same time, legendary comic creator Steve Englehart was working on Captain America and The Falcon with Sal Buscema. The two decided that such a monumental moment in American history could not go unremarked upon by Captain America: that the overwhelming feelings of distrust and uncertainty had to be incorporated into their superhero stories.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/863600516105994240

But as many have already said; a great part of entertainment has always been, is and will always be political, to a greater or lesser degree. Maybe some of us weren't paying attention, we were immature, we experienced cognitive dissonance or simply there was a lack of knowledge. But things are there, regardless.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 26, 2020, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: Bug hunt wilson on Oct 26, 2020, 02:28:59 PM
that one thing old marvel knew to do well be subtle about it

First, I always loved that cover!  👏

And these leads to my point. The subtlety of punching Hitler in the face is equivelant to one of your characters saying "All corporations are inherently evil!" Hence neither is subtle. But the more general or vague you get, the more you move away from that, the more subtle it naturally becomes, on a scale that also slides individually based on not just the script and how it targets on something fictional as evil or wrong, but the perspective of the viewer, their life experiences and how deep their intake is when normally viewing film.

SiL

People being oblivious to the political aspect of the message doesn't mean there's no political message, which is the entire point of the conversation. Politics in the Alien movies is nothing new. It was always there and people whining about Disney/Marvel potentially adding political messaging and going "woke" is asinine.

Wait until these people realise that nasty feminism has already infected their beloved franchise :o

SM

I remember Riddles also talking about class in Alien with the upstairs/ downstairs of Dallas, Kane, Ripley, Ash and Lambert vs Parker and Brett.  Not having grown up with class really being a thing I would've missed it had he not talked about it on the commentary.

SiL

Ugh, woke Ridley jumping on the class struggle bandwagon ::)

Local Trouble

See also: "If you're not cop, you're little people."

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

If Morden day feminism wanted to actually help woman they should help women in the middle East where in some countries they can't even drive cars .Feminism back in the day actually help women get the same rights as  men.While on the other side Morden  day feminism are just people on the internet  complaying  about everything and marvel is full of Morden day feminsist who cant tell a good story but want you to know their polticis so I don't have hope for the new alien comics under marvel especially seeing the new warriors trailer but who knows they might change my mind.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 26, 2020, 11:27:30 PM

Right along with the Blade Runners, you know, gunning Replicants down, no questions asked.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Oct 26, 2020, 10:53:56 PM
Ugh, woke Ridley jumping on the class struggle bandwagon ::)

Filthy commie.

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

Can a bresaker unit count as the alien universe version if liberty prime since we got the space commies know as UPP in the alien universe

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 27, 2020, 12:48:07 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 26, 2020, 11:27:30 PM

Right along with the Blade Runners, you know, gunning Replicants down, no questions asked.

Yeah.  Runaway slaves / illegal immigrants who just want to live longer than four years and act out of desperation to achieve that goal.

https://www.insider.com/history-of-police-in-the-us-photos-2020-6

QuoteIn the South in the 1700s, patrol groups were created to stop runaway slaves. In the north, a formal police force was created to control immigrants who were moving into cities in the 1800s.

Nightmare Asylum

James Cameron played into that too in Terminator 2: Judgement Day, regarding his decision to make the T-1000 default to a cop as its "main" appearance:

Quote"The Terminator films are not really about the human race getting killed off by future machines. They're about us losing touch with our own humanity and becoming machines, which allows us to kill and brutalize each other. Cops think of all noncops as less than they are — stupid, weak, and evil. They dehumanize the people they are sworn to protect and desensitize themselves in order to do that job."

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed