Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,257 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 01, 2020, 02:10:39 PM
Berserker is easily the best of the Bantam books if you ask me.

And one of the best Alien novels all around IMHO. Stephani elevated that story so much.

SiL

SiL

She took all the cool elements they could only touch on in the comic and really gave them some depth. That and Tribes are my favourite of the stories all up.

Honourable mention to Music of the Spears as one of the better-than-the-source novels. I loved the novel growing up and was kind of disappointed when I read the comic in the omnibus.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 05:42:02 AMAnd one of the best Alien novels all around IMHO. Stephani elevated that story so much.

Definitely. Until The Cold Forge came along I always said it was my favourite of the novels.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 02, 2020, 06:35:19 AMThat and Tribes are my favourite of the stories all up.

I always forget about Tribes. Need to re-read that. I remember absolutely loving it, and Dorman's art is just superb.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

The novel version of Berserker is a little darker too with the main character's way of dealing with Pops is far more cold blooded. I think its great when novels add more to a story or change things up a little because that way it isn't simply retread, you get suprised by the differences.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just finished "Flesh and Blood" by Michael Jan Friedman and Robert Greenberger. This was certainly an improvement over "Forever Midnight". This novel also took place on another planet in the 22nd century but luckily the story still remained somewhat grounded. The interior access to the predators was told in third person (which I much prefer) and actually made sense as it really only focused on the "Hunt" with a bit of Hish politics that revolved around customs/traditions regarding what's honorable during a hunt. I liked the human characters well enough and I really enjoyed the end of the story. Overall I would recommend giving this one a read. Next up "Turnabout".

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 02, 2020, 05:04:00 PM
This novel also took place on another planet in the 22nd century but luckily the story still remained somewhat grounded.

Is the date actually mentioned? Do you know the page?

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Well the lawyer says baseball leagues were ruined '22 so I pretty much figured that meant 2122 and the story took place a few years later.

Gentleman Death

Finished Alien Rogue and out of the first three Omnibus novels, this was one of the best! After Alien Harvest I wasn't too sure where the series would go but I wasn't disappointed.

Finally the characters were written out as not complete idiots. The marines and civilians in the story had conversations about strategy, rather than just running into a room and hoping for the best. There wasn't one character that bothered me in the entire novel which can be rare.

I liked how the science base was already established and by the time the main character Joyce arrives, the doctor and his experiments are already underway. The cloned bodies was the heads detached and still linked up to the human body was really interesting and unique.

I did notice some similar things between this book and the Alien Resurrection movie although I feel this book did the material better. The doctor in the book, Kliest, reminded me of the doctors in that movie and the doctor from Day of the Dead.

I also felt that the author(s) finally went into depth with tunnels and hives, something I felt was glossed over from the previous novels.

I did think it was odd that there were two or three times the author(s) randomly mentioned the color and density of pubic hairs haha.

Overall, I thought this was a great edition, so far, in the Alien novels. Starting up Labyrinth soon 😎

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Jul 01, 2020, 11:03:39 AM
99% the moody artwork and 0.5% android ants.

Sounds tasty

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Jul 05, 2020, 04:30:40 PMFinished Alien Rogue and out of the first three Omnibus novels, this was one of the best! After Alien Harvest I wasn't too sure where the series would go but I wasn't disappointed.

Rogue's one of my favourites too, and the first one I enjoyed a lot when reading through the Batnam novels.

SM

SM

Na-na-na-na na-na-na-na Batnam!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

:laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

Gentleman Death

Finished Aliens Labyrinth....I might say this could be the worst so far, or at least tied with Alien Harvest.

The plot not hugely new but the author could have worked out more like in Rogue with the doctor doing messed up testing and combing the alien and human dna. The two characters of Crespi and McGuinness have got to be up there with the worst in regards to how they act and overall development, not to mention some of the stupidest.

Doctor Church was an interesting character and his backstory was one of the best things about the book, also Crespis. Other than that this was pretty hard to get through.

I do like the fact the book concentrated on just three characters instead of multiples but by designing McGuinness and Crespi the way the author did, I felt myself bored with them.

Maybe if they concentrated more on Church as the main character and reading the book from his view, I would've enjoyed it more. Oh and for a book called Labyrinth, there sure wasn't any story around it until the very end and even then, very little in the way of description.

Music of Spears is next...

SiL

SiL

A lot of those problems stem from the comic. Crespi is the most God-damned flip-floppy protagonist who immediately believes the last thing he heard. I don't think the Labyrinth of the title is the literal labyrinth at the end, but more metaphorical.

I like the comic for the art and the flashback is great horror but I do think it is easily the most overrated story in the catalogue.

Apparently Music of the Spears and Berserker -- my two favourite of the Bantam novels -- are in a single omnibus together so guess who just spent $26.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed