Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,242 times)

SM

SM

DS 949 was pretty big.

And alien acid can sometimes have a variable pH depending on the plot...

Gentleman Death

Quote from: SM on Jul 29, 2020, 11:26:58 PM
DS 949 was pretty big.

Gotcha. Didn't think it was a plot hole necessarily but more curious if this ever got addressed or showed up in any of the comics/novels.

BlazinBlueReview

Working on Hunters and Hunted.

Then deciding which to read next - Alien Isolation, Prototype, Alien Omnibus v1, Predator Omnibus, or The Cold Forge

j0nesy

j0nesy

cold forge gets my vote!

SM

SM

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Jul 30, 2020, 01:34:25 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 29, 2020, 11:26:58 PM
DS 949 was pretty big.

Gotcha. Didn't think it was a plot hole necessarily but more curious if this ever got addressed or showed up in any of the comics/novels.

Nah.  It really is dependent on the needs of the story and how the artist and writer work together.  If you look at something like Earth War, there's a couple of sequences there where the characters are literally surrounded by thousands of Aliens, blasting away with pulse rifles and they escape without a scratch.  Sometimes, if it's minor, it's easy to ignore; sometimes it's not.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Berserker was comfortably the best of the Bantam run for me.

Reminds me a little of The Cold Forge in a way - on the face of it a very basic, by-the-numbers story, but so well fleshed-out it becomes something far more.

SM

SM

I don't think Cold Forge is especially by-the-numbers.  The premise - Aliens loose on a space station - is certainly straight forward, but there's a LOT going on in Cold Forge

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Oh definitely, but I was referring to the basic set-up. The back cover blurb, for instance, makes it sound generic as hell.

It was all that extra embellishment that made it so good.

Gentleman Death

Finished Aliens Original Sin and out of the bunch so far, it was the easiest and quickest to read, not sure if that's a good thing.

I really didn't mind the story, I've personally come to like A:R over the years, flaws and all so it was nice to see the returning characters.

I didn't mind the whole secret Loki group and the Malaka species either. It made more sense to me then what happened with David creating the aliens.

Nothing inspiring about the characters, though. I wished the author would've focused more on Call, Johner and Vriess.

Plus it ends in a way where it seems it was supposed to set up more continuation but I've found no other novels do, so that's kinda lame.

I think the book could've fleshed out more pages, easily another 100. I also liked the setting in the botanical base.

DNA War is next....

lightsyder

lightsyder

Getting ready to dive into some Alien novels.  I'm going to order Prototype since I'm also getting ready to read the Defiance / Resistance / Rescue comics so I might as well do it all in order.

On that note, is the Isolation novel worth reading?  I played and loved the game so I thought it might be a fun read but I've seen some negative reviews for it.

Any other must reads I should look for?

Kradan

Kradan

If you wanna know more of Amanda's backtory, then yes - it's worth a read

If you wanna pure Isolation experience recreated in text form - nah, skip that one, play game instead

Gentleman Death

Quote from: lightsyder on Aug 06, 2020, 08:34:10 PM
Getting ready to dive into some Alien novels.  I'm going to order Prototype since I'm also getting ready to read the Defiance / Resistance / Rescue comics so I might as well do it all in order.

On that note, is the Isolation novel worth reading?  I played and loved the game so I thought it might be a fun read but I've seen some negative reviews for it.

I started reading the novels for the first time in February. I wasn't quite sure where to start so I personally went with order of release. So I began with Aliens Omnibus Vol. 1 and am now on Vol.5. I haven't read anything newer yet.

But I'd recommend starting with the Earth War trilogy which is volume one of the omnibus novels.

lightsyder

lightsyder

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Aug 06, 2020, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: lightsyder on Aug 06, 2020, 08:34:10 PM

I started reading the novels for the first time in February. I wasn't quite sure where to start so I personally went with order of release. So I began with Aliens Omnibus Vol. 1 and am now on Vol.5. I haven't read anything newer yet.

But I'd recommend starting with the Earth War trilogy which is volume one of the omnibus novels.

That trilogy and Genocide I have read.  Got those back when they came out.  Loved them back then.  I have been eyeing those collected editions for the non comic adaptations so I may just go after some of those to get going after prototype.

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 06, 2020, 09:02:27 PM
If you wanna know more of Amanda's backtory, then yes - it's worth a read

If you wanna pure Isolation experience recreated in text form - nah, skip that one, play game instead

Yeah the game was a great experience.  More of Amanda's back story might be fun though.  Does it go past the game ending any or does it end the same way?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: lightsyder on Aug 06, 2020, 08:34:10 PMOn that note, is the Isolation novel worth reading?  I played and loved the game so I thought it might be a fun read but I've seen some negative reviews for it.

My advice is don't bother. It's a thoroughly disappointing translation of the game. There are far better recent novels. In fact it's probably the worst book Titan have put out since they got the licence.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: lightsyder on Aug 06, 2020, 09:11:34 PM
Does it go past the game ending any or does it end the same way?

I've read it once and IIRC it ends the same way game ends. I think, I would've remembered if it had played out differently

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed