Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,245 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

I never had any issue with the gore in Labyrinth or the Alien throwing the skull, I thought it was pretty excellent myself. I love everything about Labyrinth except for the story as a whole :laugh:. But I loved the gore, the art, most of the set pieces, and I really liked Church as a villain.

Crespi always felt useless, lost, and easily manipulated to me. I really wanted to know more about what Church was actually doing, what his real research actually entailed. The end felt abrupt and left me confused as a child.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 10, 2020, 08:57:54 PM
I really wanted to know more about what Church was actually doing, what his real research actually entailed. The end felt abrupt and left me confused as a child.

Exactly. What he was doing was far more interesting than anything else and could've expanded on it much more. Loves his backstory, pretty intense.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Wasn't he trying to create human-alien hybrids and ways to weaponize/control aliens?

SM

SM

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 10, 2020, 02:27:39 PM
Really?! I could've sworn it was from Labyrinth! Oh well guess I have to give it another read lol. And regardless I don't like seeing Xeno's on leashes! Dr Church aka Xeno King aka Paul Exotic  :laugh:

:laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Now everytime I see that panel with church walking the Alien I'll think Paul Exotic :laugh:

BlazinBlueReview

How are the three stories in The Complete Predator Omnibus?

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Finally finished "Predator: South China Sea" and this was quite the action packed story brought to us by Jeff Vandermeer. The Pred here was completely badass and wrecked shit left and right; which left the human characters completely unsettled (as it should be). Speaking of, pretty much all the characters had solid back stories that influenced their actions and I really appreciated that. The Predator POV moments focused on hunts (previous and current) as well as tactics which I thought felt natural and not out of place. There were a couple of new weapons introduced that I found interesting but also seemed somewhat over the top. The only thing that I wasn't on board with was the fate of the character Nikolai which was a weird WTF moment to say the least. All in all still a really good book and now I can confidently say that I've finally read the entirety of the Predator EU.

Gentleman Death

Finished Music of the Spears. This was a very different, but interesting story set in the Alien Universe. I had a little bit of a hard time trying to figure out where this book was going but by the time it picked up, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised.

Maybe because it was such a departure from the first few stories but I really liked the story focused mainly on the three characters (Eddington, Brangwen and Darcy) and insight into their thinking process and actions throughout the book. The author did a good job of setting up a rather bleak NYC and what the Jelly has done to some of its inhabitants. She got into much detail of what the substance does to an individual and the spiral they go down.

Maybe because it was different from having marines run around (which I don't mind), navigating through mazes and surprisingly not one Android, but I liked the setting mostly taking place in the lab with trying to produce music from the screams of the Alien.

I still don't know how I feel about MedTechs Security Force using an alien by the name of Ol Blue to navigate and find the missing egg/alien that Synsound stole from their laboratory. Or the fact that they even had a secret lab to begin with, which seems odd considering that Earth is still being rebuilt. It also seemed pretty easy for these 'ninjas' to sneak in, with no security cameras present in the hive lab and destroy the watcher aliens with swords.

But the focus on Eddington making his 'Symphony of Hate' and what he was willing to do in order to achieve it, was pretty crazy. I also liked how it ended with Brangwen and especially Darcy. She clearly loves the alien (Mozart) and what he represented, the lasting affects of her time with the alien completely changed her. As it did everyone else.

Beserker is next...

Kradan

Kradan

It's dark. I'd say even for an Alien story

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Jul 19, 2020, 04:03:03 PM
surprisingly not one Android

Well, apart from these weird synthetic rock bands. And there was synthetic copy of Mozart in the end

The author did a good job of setting up a rather bleak NYC

Oh yeah. That prologue really get me on board

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 19, 2020, 07:47:29 PM
It's dark. I'd say even for an Alien story

surprisingly not one Android

Well, apart from these weird synthetic rock bands. And there was synthetic copy of Mozart in the end

The author did a good job of setting up a rather bleak NYC

Oh yeah. That prologue really get me on board

Oh yeah, the synth groups were a really intriguing idea. I even pictured that actually happening in the future.

Out of the novels, this one took me the longest to read. It was more thought provoking then most imo.

SM

SM

Finally got round to reading the published version Prototype.  I found I enjoyed it more this time around.  I also found that I contributed more to this book without credit than many others where I have been credited.  :D

felix

felix

I hope someday Titan re-releases the original Predator novelization.

I had a copy but lost it.

SiL

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Jul 20, 2020, 11:10:58 AM
Finally got round to reading the published version Prototype.  I found I enjoyed it more this time around.  I also found that I contributed more to this book without credit than many others where I have been credited.  :D

:D

So I wanted to ask for a while - you somehow involved with Alien franchise, right ? What exactly you do ? What's your position and how much influence on final material do you have ? What's your jo description ?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Thats classified information :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed