Sad after watching Aliens

Started by Billiken, Dec 27, 2020, 11:03:53 PM

Author
Sad after watching Aliens (Read 12,348 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Gearbox's ACM, as with the Earth War comic before it, the William Gibson comic after it, served one good purpose, as a obvious warning.

The Terminator once determined whether Aliens ultimately got the greenlight or not. I guarantee Tim Miller's Terminator determined the fate of Neill Blomkamp's Alien. Does this appear at all familiar?

A attempt at a franchise revival with the endorsement of James Cameron onboard with the writing but not Directing himself. With the lead actress returning for the first time in twenty years.  With a number of ideas from the past "failed" films mashed up to create a nostalgic majority surface level reading retread finale of the first two "successful" films. Whilst simultaneously declaring the rest of the films as invalid as it is the one true valid conclusion. That's also not truly a conclusion as it attempts to pass the torch to a considerably younger heroine.

Do change my mind.

SiL

SiL

The Terminator only really determined whether Cameron got the director's chair

BlueMarsalis79

To be pedantic for a minute, you're saying his script might have gone ahead anyway with, someone other than him in the Director's chair?

SiL

SiL

Yes. He was initially engaged to write the script but they were unsure about him directing it as he was largely unproven.

TC

TC

@Billiken

The answer could be as simple as the music being in a minor key:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OqtDVgb-yvQ

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/3/why-do-minor-keys-sound-sad

It's interesting when a filmmaker/composer chooses a minor sound for the closing titles, especially for an action adventure film. Compare Aliens with the rousing scores for the end titles of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. For Aliens, Cameron and Horner went in a different direction and decided to end the film with a "slow curtain."

It's funny how these things affect you even as a kid, when you have no understanding of the techniques being used to manipulate you. I remember being just a nipper and watching the TV sit-com Taxi (probably most people here are too young to remember). It was a comedy, but they chose to go with melancholic minor-themed music for the titles. The picture showed a POV drive across the Brooklyn Bridge. That visual plus the music had a lonely and sad effect - a peculiar choice for a sit-com. As a kid I always wondered why it felt that way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S23oaLAEUpo

TC

xxx

xxx

Quote from: Billiken on Dec 27, 2020, 11:46:17 PM
I think people might not get my point. What I was trying to say was the movie is so great, I just never want it to end. It was a world I fell in love with. Characters and all
Yeah, I've felt like this when the LOTR trilogy ended :)
A: Isolation managed to capture a very similar tone (one of the most epic moment for me was the MUTHUR room scene)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: xxx on Dec 28, 2020, 04:12:20 PM
I think people might not get my point. What I was trying to say was the movie is so great, I just never want it to end. It was a world I fell in love with. Characters and all
A: Isolation managed to capture a very similar tone (one of the most epic moment for me was the MUTHUR room scene)

Alien: Isolation was a really tasteful approach to getting the feel of the original Alien.  It would be great to see Aliens get a similar treatment, without focusing on specific aspects to the point of cartoonishness (Oorah to ashes muhrines).

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 28, 2020, 08:24:11 PM
Quote from: xxx on Dec 28, 2020, 04:12:20 PM

Alien: Isolation was a really tasteful approach to getting the feel of the original Alien.  It would be great to see Aliens get a similar treatment, without focusing on specific aspects to the point of cartoonishness (Oorah to ashes muhrines).

Outside of, well, everything truly awful about Colonial Marines as a video game, that's the other thing that really grated on me with it as an attempt to recreate the Aliens experience. Where Aliens took the hubris of the marines and used it as a lens through with to showcase how ill-equipped they are for the situation they're getting into, and then later on as a sort of coping mechanism once they encounter the Aliens, Colonial Marines instead treats all of the snippy one-liners with such utter sincerity and earnestness and not even a degree of irony that as a result causes all of the characters to just immediately become cartoon caricatures.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Eloquently put!

Billiken

Billiken

I'd pay good money to see a trilogy of alien games based on the first 3 films where you get to play as characters like Hicks,Hudson etc. you get to change the outcome of the movies. I'd kill to play games like this. Is it a licensing issue which is why we've never seen this??

SM

SM

Like this?

Or this?

Or this?

:)

Rankles75

Rankles75

It's always sad to say goodbye to a quality film series, but it was the perfect place to end it. :)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Rankles75 on Dec 29, 2020, 09:14:46 PM
It's always sad to say goodbye to a quality film series, but it was the perfect place to end it. :)

You forgot about AR.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 29, 2020, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Dec 29, 2020, 09:14:46 PM

You forgot about AR.

I try...

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed