Alien FX Show Weta Leak

Started by anibo, Jan 23, 2022, 11:03:37 PM

Author
Alien FX Show Weta Leak (Read 23,092 times)

anibo

anibo

Hey guys,

I'm a new part of the community and got my hands on some quite exciting news.

Someone I know very well works as a VFX Artist at Weta. They are currently in the early stages of pre-production, as the script is still being revised.

Weta Digital and Weta Workshops are currently creating concept designs and sculptures/maquettes to give Noah Hawley and the producers some visual responses for the world-building.
Apparently, there are several alternatives to the classic Xenomorph design. They are playing with alternative ideas on the classic alien lifecycle, which is more "human-like" but still body horror. The overall theme explores the question of gender and identity, this reflects on some of the new designs.

This is what he showed me, thanks to working from home :D Let me know what you think

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Obviously no way to validate this as being true (and given the nature of it as a leak, I wouldn't be shocked to see it end up getting deleted one way or the other... so I've already saved it to keep it on hand ;) ) but, just to play devil's advocate here and give it the time of day.... The idea of there being various 'alternative' Alien iterations concocted in a lab by humans experimenting with the 'Perfect Organism' (much like there were in Resurrection, and like there would have been in Blomkamp's film) doesn't quite shock me here, given the nature of this series and the focus on various corporations manipulating tech that will surely be directly related to the Aliens. Now if this is a real concept, it could very well be from a stage in pre-production where they're just throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks, and not actually representative of any of the designs that actually end up in the series.

Anyways, looking at this, it is absolutely intriguing. Fleshy, but also keeping the biomechanical elements of the original creature. A bit spindly, like Covenant's iteration. I also get a bit of a sense of Species' Sil, in the ribs and arms. Definitely feels like it could be some various offshoot of the proper Alien, with perhaps too much human DNA mixed in with the Alien's.

The lips almost remind me a bit of:

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: anibo on Jan 23, 2022, 11:03:37 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a new part of the community and got my hands on some quite exciting news.

Someone I know very well works as a VFX Artist at Weta. They are currently in the early stages of pre-production, as the script is still being revised.

Weta Digital and Weta Workshops are currently creating concept designs and sculptures/maquettes to give Noah Hawley and the producers some visual responses for the world-building.
Apparently, there are several alternatives to the classic Xenomorph design. They are playing with alternative ideas on the classic alien lifecycle, which is more "human-like" but still body horror. The overall theme explores the question of gender and identity, this reflects on some of the new designs.

This is what he showed me, thanks to working from home :D Let me know what you think

Welcome to the community forum!

Yeah, definitely reminiscent of the original Alien³ Giger design. From what we know they're still experimenting with the Alien designs, so I could see this as one of the concepts they came up with. Typically studios will just go wild a bit during the design phase.

skhellter

skhellter

If the Weta folks are reading the forums:

Hi.
This is neat. But not exactly "IT", yet. Keep going.  :laugh:

Quite like the head.
Chest area.. erhmmmm...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: skhellter on Jan 24, 2022, 12:52:01 AM
This is neat. But not exactly "IT", yet. Keep going.  :laugh:

"Idle hands are the devil's workshop, Captain."

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

This looks strangely familiar... I've a feeling it's an existing original statue.

If it's not, can't say I'm at all a fan of that aesthetic. The womanly lips never made sense for the A3 design and trying to make feminine eyes out of tendons doesn't improve them.

Remove any traits from it which are too obviously human in origin. This should be an opportunity to move away from that.

SiL

SiL

They should totally lock that design in. People loved the Newborn.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 24, 2022, 01:10:50 AM
This looks strangely familiar... I've a feeling it's an existing original statue.

I've reversed and Sauced it, but no hits.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2022, 01:25:26 AM

I think I'd actually prefer this over the actual Newborn. But as a normal Alien? No, thanks.

Kradan

Kradan

Looks a lot like Covenant's beast with some tweaks. I dig it and wouldn't be opposed to see it in the final show

anibo

anibo

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm also not too sure about the design and the direction....Not sure how much we will see it though. Here is a close-up I found on my phone

Stitch

Stitch

It's a lady alien. Lips n nips. Er. Not terrible, but not exactly something I'd give the green light to.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 24, 2022, 01:10:50 AM

Looks like a ZBrush sculpt to me. Done by a technically proficient artist.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I love it personally wouldn't mind it if this was the direction they took

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 24, 2022, 06:50:56 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2022, 01:25:26 AM

I think I'd actually prefer this over the actual Newborn. But as a normal Alien? No, thanks.

I can't imagine this would be a redesign for the traditional Alien, given what seems to be going on with the corporations and their aspirations in the show. But as a potential hybridization/offshoot, a la the Newborn? This – or something akin to it – has me potentially intrigued.

skhellter

skhellter

yah this will definitely be another hybrid creature of sorts.
Sure, just improve the overall design a fair bit to make it more elegant... [the chest needs a lot of work]

I was saying this was all feeling a bit Alien Resurrection when the character details leaked.. and lo and behold...

Any other bits of concept art that you can share, Anibo?
From a different alien?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed