Aliens themed mod for Battlefield 2142

Started by Frosty98B, Jun 15, 2017, 09:22:48 AM

Author
Aliens themed mod for Battlefield 2142 (Read 41,640 times)

Frosty98B

Frosty98B

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 11, 2017, 11:58:31 AM
Quote from: Frosty98B on Sep 11, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
Hell yeah, hopefully it will only increase the player's immersion and make being gunner much more fun. ^^

Excellent!  ;D

How many weapons are you doing? Thinking of taking any inspiration from the EU? Is the Scope Rifle from the Tech Manual an option?
Glad you're asking! :laugh:

All the weapons planned for the version 1.0 as well as the progress are featured in this spreadsheet. We'd like (but we might eventually abandone this idea as it's quite ambitious) make a version 1.5 that would feature the vehicles, weapons (including the M42A Scoped Rifle ;)) and items from the technical manual. That's not all though, we've already been discussing potential new maps inspired by places from several comic books.

Corporal Hicks

Glad to hear it's a possibility! Plenty of extra things to play with in the Expanded Universe.

What comics are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd love to see some with Giger's Egg Silo in. Like they often used in the comics as hives.

Frosty98B

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 11, 2017, 12:59:13 PM
Glad to hear it's a possibility! Plenty of extra things to play with in the Expanded Universe.

What comics are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd love to see some with Giger's Egg Silo in. Like they often used in the comics as hives.

I don't even know which comics those were, they were all featured in the Aliens Omnibus though.

It has appeared on the map which would probably be the first one to come - it was an arid place located on the Xenomorph Homworld(/Xenomorph Prime). It's a must have thing in those maps indeed! In the movie, they turned the atmosphere processor into the hive so it would be awesome to see the "standalone" hive. :D

Spoiler
You can see the locations I suggested to the other devs here (the arid one's missing though), all taken from the comics of the Omnibus. I think it might be really nice idea to let the community vote for the map they'd like to see first in case we get so far.  :)
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Oh man! The water world from Colonial Marines could be fun! Especially if you do some underwater hive structures.

Frosty98B

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 11, 2017, 02:18:06 PM
Oh man! The water world from Colonial Marines could be fun! Especially if you do some underwater hive structures.
Indeed but I'm afraid that would by far surpass not only my modding abilities but also those of all the other BF2/2142 modders. Water floating is hardcoded in these games and noone has so far come up with solution that could make the soldiers dive/swim underwater. It will most likely be only limited to the area above the surface but I believe it won't be that bad.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

That's a shame but understandable. Like you say though, would still be pretty fun.

I really hope you get chance to do those comic based maps. I think it'd be pretty fun!

Frosty98B

Frosty98B

We've got the first piece of the soundtrack for Acheron, its main menu music (which is also a main theme), composed and performed by an epic musician known as NinjaTheCat on ModDB.

"When tasked with creating a main theme for Acheron, I originally set out to re-create the scores of the films exactly. However, this proved to be rather challenging, so instead, I decided to come up with something original. The way I saw it, Acheron has its own place within the Aliens universe, although not official canon, and so I felt it was deserving of its own unique soundtrack. I tried to stick as close to the feel of the Alien franchise, hence the use of elements of the Alien: Covenant OST that you might recognise. After quite few attempts, this is what I came up with. It captures the tension as well as the raw emotion explored within the franchise. The main theme of Alien is survival, or at least thats what I take from it, and I think this conveys that quite well."
- NinjaTheCat

USCM Combat Knife (Gerber Mark 2) is the next weapon to be added to the mod. I've already made the blade as shown on this image:

You'll most probably only be able to take down one of the aliens, being also taken down by their acid blood. So make it count.
Also, the texture artist has already made some preparation to texture the APC:

He said he'd have enough time for it during the weekend so we'll see.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Looking good man! I doubt it'd be possible in 2142 but I'd love to see a mechanic that makes better use the acid blood some day. Destructible scenery or blade weapons like this get a one-time use. That kinda thing.

Frosty98B

Frosty98B

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 28, 2017, 08:35:07 PM
Looking good man! I doubt it'd be possible in 2142 but I'd love to see a mechanic that makes better use the acid blood some day. Destructible scenery or blade weapons like this get a one-time use. That kinda thing.
Glad you like it! It shall use a mechanic which has already been tested - when a soldier dies, he explodes. I know some guys used it for "suicide bomber" soldiers. In our case, the xenos would explode with some amateur acid blood effect around them when they're killed, so the closer you are, the more damage you'll take.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, that's a pretty good and suitable mechanic. I'm glad you've fit that in.

Frosty98B

Some progress with the APC textures.  ;)

Shinawi

Amazing! Thank you for taking the time to develop this mod. It looks very time consuming.

Corporal Hicks

Still looking good!

Frosty98B

Quote from: Shinawi on Oct 08, 2017, 01:55:44 AM
Amazing! Thank you for taking the time to develop this mod. It looks very time consuming.
Oh, I really appreciate your empathy. :) Yeah, sometimes it takes literally a hundred hours to make a well-detailed model and I'm not even going to guess how much time the texture artist spends brining it to life. :D
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 08, 2017, 07:02:05 AM
Still looking good!
We're glad you're both happy with the result so far. Thank you! :)

Frosty98B

Gerber Mark II combat knife has been successfully modelled and added to the list of the weapons awaiting export and texturing! Our texture artist and weapon exporter both had some important things to focus on but should be back soon, so the November might be a very productive month for Acheron's development.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed