Want to Draw.

Started by Signore Predatore, Jul 22, 2011, 04:24:30 AM

Author
Want to Draw. (Read 1,102 times)

Signore Predatore

Signore Predatore

I have always wanted to make some art of Predator and Alien. I know you need a pencil & paper, but I suck at making art. Can someone give me a few tips on how to be a successful drawer.  8)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Pick up reference pictures and try to copy 'em out. When your drawings look enough like the originals, try to make your own poses. In a word: practice.

Signore Predatore

Signore Predatore

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jul 22, 2011, 06:26:01 AM
Pick up reference pictures and try to copy 'em out. When your drawings look enough like the originals, try to make your own poses. In a word: practice.
Thanks I really want to draw. ;D

keylight-di

keylight-di

I downloaded these pics/tutorials many years ago from site I even don't remember. Maybe you find it useful:

Nice, but I never used it, dunno why...
Sorry for poor quality of pics.

And like Omega said: practice, practice, practice.... :)

samoht

samoht

If you aren't naturally good at it, drawing is really hard. Its true. But by practicing, you will see improvement. I would suggest purchasing a drawing book for beginners. Preferably one that teaches you how to draw the human form, as both creatures are based off this. Also, something that will teach you about perspective drawing.

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

Practice. Look up some screen-shots from the alien/pred films for inspiration and reference. Its you best bet in understanding what they look like :) Referencing action figures has also helped me a lot too (but i have a lot of Alien figures) along with the making-of books n' comics. DON'T copy other artist art.
Start with some simple doodles to get the feel of it (nothing detailed!)

Bringer of Death

Bringer of Death

I agree with SizzyBubbles about not copying other peoples work, but a good drawing trick and excercise is to actualy trace artwork/pictures your trying to learn. I know your thinking " trace ? realy , im not 5 lol " but , by doing so it will help you understand the anatomy of the body and start to visualy see images in three dimentions like in real life.  The best way to trace/practice is to have a makeshift light table like an annimator would use. all u need is a see through drawing surface ( a glass table/coffee table ) work great  and have a light source shine underneath it ( a small lamp or large flashlight )  that way when you put your blank piece of paper over the other piece with the picture you want to copy the light makes both pieces transparent.  Its a good idea to tape the 2 pieces together so there not sliding around making you loose your place. ( use tiny pieces so they dont ruin the paper ) Start trying to trace artwork of characters you already know and like , its easier because you already know what they look like in your head.  Then when your comfortable start trying to  copy/re draw them by just looking at them.  But like these other guys said " Practice , practice , practice !! lol . Im 29 and have been drawing since i could pick up a pencil and still learning knew things all the time . 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed